Site Sponsors

Thread: Firmware upgrade for H4D40 & 50 Owners

Post Thanks / Like

Firmware upgrade for H4D40 & 50 Owners

Hi All,

You will be pleased to hear that the recent benefits introduced on the H4D60 are soon to be available on the 40 and 50.

This includes features such as the spirit level and most importantly the double res display!

More details..

http://www.hasselblad.com/promotions...0--h4d-50.aspx

David

PS. Its FREE and you can do the upgrade by yourself from Phocus.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Firmware upgrade for H4D40 & 50 Owners

Now all I need is a H4D-40 system I can afford.
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

after all the info that has been leaked, asked and answered, it is a huge surprise that the high res screen is now going to work for all the H4 cameras.

Why on earth was this not explained as a potential development before?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

They wanted to surprise you for Christmas, John.
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If any one is so inclined I'd be interested to know how you can improve screen resolution with firmware. I understood this to be a feature for the H4D-60 but mistakenly assumed that model had a different screen. If it can be done via firmware... can it be done for brands other than Hassy???

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well, my experience in software design (26 years worth) lets me deduce that the hardware itself was capable of higher resolution but the software driving it was set to a lower resolution. Think of an LCD computer monitor with a resolution of 1600x1200 native running at 800x600.

Why do that? Limited resources. The onboard computers have a limited amount of RAM to work with. The more pixels you display, the more memory you need to manage them. Now, the displays on the H4D-40, 50 & 60 are the same model, but the support hardware may differ from model to model.

[SPECULATION]
    The PRAM in the H4D-60 could be larger than the one in the H4D-40 & 50 and thus was easier to code for. The smaller models needed to have their other firmware routines tightened up to make room for the new features.
    [/SPECULATION]

or

[CONSPIRACY THEORY]
    Hasselblad knew this all along and was holding out on us. They launched it on the 60 to drum up upgrades and then released it on the 40 & 50 to get those moving.
    [/CONSPIRACY THEORY]

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I'm not going to question it. I look forward to the new firmware. Right now, when switching between the H4D lcd to my Nikon's lcd, I have to make a mental shift. I hope this brings the Hassy lcd closer to modern standards.

rpb

Excellent news, but seems a bit cruel to make everyone wait amost 3 months.

It must have been tested and worked for them to anounce the release, why the wait?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by etrigan63 View Post
    Well, my experience in software design (26 years worth) lets me deduce that the hardware itself was capable of higher resolution but the software driving it was set to a lower resolution. Think of an LCD computer monitor with a resolution of 1600x1200 native running at 800x600.

Why do that? Limited resources. The onboard computers have a limited amount of RAM to work with. The more pixels you display, the more memory you need to manage them. Now, the displays on the H4D-40, 50 & 60 are the same model, but the support hardware may differ from model to model.

[SPECULATION]
    The PRAM in the H4D-60 could be larger than the one in the H4D-40 & 50 and thus was easier to code for. The smaller models needed to have their other firmware routines tightened up to make room for the new features.
    [/SPECULATION]

or

[CONSPIRACY THEORY]
    Hasselblad knew this all along and was holding out on us. They launched it on the 60 to drum up upgrades and then released it on the 40 & 50 to get those moving.
    [/CONSPIRACY THEORY]
    We all love a conspiracy theory on the forums!

You are quite right with your [SPECULATION]. Lol.

The H4D60 is on a different hardware platform to the 40 and 50, to cope with larger sensor, higher data throughput etc etc.

Naturally this was designed from the outset to drive the display to the max resolution. The 40 and 50 being on a different platform were not.

Therefore it takes a little more time to finalise the code as it is very different to the 60 code!

Anyway, we feel that the existing owners should not miss out hence the upgrade. Announcement came now to ensure that these owners were not to be left out.

David

Post Thanks / Like

HI there

just wondering if there will be a firmware upgrade for the H4d-31 as well?? in the information ive seen thus far it mentions that this upgade is only for 40,50 60 backs.

I was told at the trade fair last year that the upgrade which was in the pipeline at the time (sprit level etc) would be for all H4d models, and to be honest if i knew that improved res screens were also on the way but only be available for 40mp and above i would have saved a little longer and bought a 40mp and not the 31mp

andrew

Post Thanks / Like

David-
    If I read it correctly, this won't be available until Dec. 1st?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Correct.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by etrigan63 View Post
    Correct.
    Indeed!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by andrew wuttke View Post
    HI there

just wondering if there will be a firmware upgrade for the H4d-31 as well?? in the information ive seen thus far it mentions that this upgade is only for 40,50 60 backs.

I was told at the trade fair last year that the upgrade which was in the pipeline at the time (sprit level etc) would be for all H4d models, and to be honest if i knew that improved res screens were also on the way but only be available for 40mp and above i would have saved a little longer and bought a 40mp and not the 31mp

andrew
    Unfortunately the H4D31 runs on the platform that also ran the 22MP. Therefore the hardware cannot support the new features.

Last year we actually had no idea if the new features would trickle down to anything and stay only on the 60 platform. The work of a few of our talented engineers made it possible for the 40 and 50.

Sorry Andrew!

David

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well done, as a H4D-50 user, I am impressed!
    Quentin Bargate
    Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2017, ”leading individual”, Chambers HNW guide, 2017, Photographer

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Good news for Hasselblad followers, i just upgraded my H4D-60 yesterday and don't know how to use the features yet.
    Tareq

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Hasselblad for enabling these features after using and owning an H4D-50 now since 16 months (ehm, 19 months in December)...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Udo View Post
    Thank you Hasselblad for enabling these features after using and owning an H4D-50 now since 16 months (ehm, 19 months in December)...
    At least you don't have to buy a new camera and you will feel like you get a new one for free. How cool is that?

I'm glad that Hasselblad is giving us this upgrade for free instead of releasing a new hardware that we have to pay (I've seen other brands doing that). I'm still a happy h4d40 shooter and I have no reason to change my camera, I don't need more pixels, bigger file or bigger sensor and I really don't want to spend more money in my MF system (one body 5 lenses was a huge investment for me already). But getting this new free upgrade is exciting and will spicy up a bit my relationship with my baby.

Anyway, according to the conspiration theory, I'm sure my H4D40 can be easily upgraded to a hH4D50/60! Can't wait for the next firmware upgrade next year.

Post Thanks / Like

I actually appreciate it that Hasseblad does supply new features with firmware later on. Sure there have been occassions where they promised to do so but never did (ISO upgrade on CF22 and older models) however in most cases there have been continued development.

They could have chosen not to do this and spend their fairly limited development resources on other new products that generate money. I like the fact they opted to this for existing customers instead.

When you already have the 50 for over a year you have enjoyed it for that long, now you get more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Being nice to your customers is always a good strategy, whatever business you are in. That should, of course, include great trade-up deals as and when the next generation of bodies are released.

Here in London, Hassy have an excellent pro grade studio in Hoxton with all the trimmings available at greatly reduced cost to Hassselblad owners, and their Pro Centre shop nearby available to rent whatever you might need for a shoot. I think that is a practical step towards developing a good relationship and adding value.

If you try to gouge customers to maximise profit in the short term, you end up loosing out in the longer term. Any H4D represents a substantial inverstment for the photographer. If a firmware upgrade is all it takes to deliver these new enhnacements to 40/50 owners, it is quite right to make them available and I am delighted Hassy are doing so.
    Quentin Bargate
    Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2017, ”leading individual”, Chambers HNW guide, 2017, Photographer

Post Thanks / Like

I'm looking forward to the upgrade, I'm really enjoying (as are my clients) the H4D 40. Currently using the 35-90, just need to find a 150 and I'm set....

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Actually, quite a while ago Hasselblad did say the higher resolution screen would be available for the H4D/40 and 50 ... as well as the 60, but then it was never discussed again. In fact, afterward it was sort of implied that the high res screen wouldn't be forthcoming for the 40 and 50 which swung my decision to go for the H4D/60 over the 50 M/S.

No matter, the 60 is more than enough, and I do like the Dalsa sensor characteristics for the work I tend to do.

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I can't wait for the one click focus check!
    Stanley

Post Thanks / Like

Talk about bad timing. I just sold my 645AFD II / Aptus 65 for a H4D-31! No firmware upgrade for me then.

Sigh.
    My images on 500px : http://500px.com/ghoonk
    H4D-40 | Xpan | Leica M9P | Leica M Monochrom | X100 | Hasselblad 500CM | 501CM | 503CXi

Post Thanks / Like

Just wondering as we are talking dates if David has any idea about the next release of Phocus mobile. Thank you

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MartinE View Post
    Just wondering as we are talking dates if David has any idea about the next release of Phocus mobile. Thank you
    Or for that matter, the independent battery solution for the H4D/60?

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like

Are there any H4D-60 user, who can confirm, that the higher screen resolution is a remarkable improvement?
    Or: What can I expect from my upgraded H4D-40 in December?

Michael

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Iskander View Post
    Are there any H4D-60 user, who can confirm, that the higher screen resolution is a remarkable improvement?
    Or: What can I expect from my upgraded H4D-40 in December?

Michael
    Depends on your definition of "remarkable" Michael. Personally, I'd reserve that descriptive term for the Phase One IQ LCDs.

The previous screen was 230,000 pixels and is now a 460,320 pixel TFT 24 bit color display with a large viewing angle. Thus the "double res" moniker. This is still less than 1/2 the resolution of the new Phase IQ 160 back that's comparable to the H4D/60.

In practice, it used to be somewhat difficult to evaluate exposure levels, and zooming in for focus check was less than ideal ... the LCD was not a very good indication of what you would see when opening the file.

It is now much better and the impression of what the image will look like is closer ... the focus check is obviously going to be better at twice the resolution, but not a 100% indication because it doesn't show the effects of sharpening you'd do in Phocus. However, it is much better ... like twice as good

-Marc