Site Sponsors

Thread: RZ camera and the great outside

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

RZ camera and the great outside

I realise the RZ camera is primarily a studio camera. Just wondering if people are taking the RZ outside and using for landscape or cityscape photography etc. Any experiences or advice to share on using outside? How you carry the camera? Type of outdoor photography used for, etc.

My RZ is just crying out to be used more.

Thanks

Neil

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: RZ camera and the great outside

Hi Neil. There is a Flickr group for RZ67 images and many of them were obviously taken outside a studio. They look great. I have been really tempted to buy an RZ67 Pro IID recently...so I've been trying to avoid looking at RZ67 images for the past month or so. When it comes to purchases of more camera gear, resisting temptation is not my strong suit.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like

You can use a tripod, use mirror lock up, a cable release and long shutter speed for dawn.
    Or for a handheld you can use 1/250, 1/400 with:
    http://www.mamiya-usa.com/rz67-pro-i...ts-l-grip.html
    (to hold the camera)
    and
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._for_RB67.html
    to avoid any accident...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I used the RZ for landscape for about a year before I finally went to 4x5. It is a great camera, albeit heavier than other options. The glass is stellar including the 100-200 zoom. My basic kit was the 50, 65, 90 and 100-200 zoom. The short barrel 75 and 180 are very cool to use with the tilt shift adapter, and the 140 macro is outstanding as well. The latest FLE wides were a tad better at closer focus ranges than the predecessors, but I would only look to those if you are buying new focals; I would not necessarily replace any existing lenses unless you are having issues with them. At the end of the day, a tech camera or view camera is more flexible, but the RZ is a relative bargain right now and very serviceable if you can live with the range of focals.
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

IntimicyPhoto

The RZ is a great camera and the results with Mamiya lenses are excellent. Usually it is used in studio but it good outside too, for landscape or other kind of photography.

Rankin, a britain fashion photographer uses it a lot in his work as many other fashion photographers.

To be better it isn't so expensive as other 6x7 cameras.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have an RB67 and most everything I shoot with it is outdoors. A tripod makes the most sense, but sometimes I get a little crazy and throw a left-hand grip on it and an OP/TECH USA Super Pro Strap and go for a walk. I've shot handheld as slow as 1/60 and got good results but obviously that's risky business.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't you worry! And don't listen too much for what people used to say
    Break the limits. Shoot from hands, run with camera, know where and how to stop Take this gorgeous machine outside and shoot some action! Worth the effort

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Great picture. Good theme. Is it taken with your ZD back and RZ 110 lens. Nice out of focus effect on the steam train. How did you light the scene?

Thanks

Neil

Post Thanks / Like

Huge white 2,5m diameter umbrella model front with 1200WS pack @ min power with RZ 67 Pro IID + ZD [email protected] ISO and 110/2.8 lens wide open

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Resistance was futile
    RZ Pro II & waist level finder
    120 film backs (2)
    50mm, 65mm, 110mm and 180mm short barrel (with spacer)
    Those RZ lenses are a bargain.

Since I don't have a studio.....all of my shooting will be in the great outdoors (Alaska). I expect to use a tripod most of the time, but who knows, I might give a hand held shot a try now and then.

I love those big 6x7 transparencies and negatives (I have used a Pentax 67 system for about 20 years).....now I'll get to enjoy the rotating back as well. I will be interested to compare similar shots with the Pentax and Mamiya glass.

I'm hopeful that the gear will arrive before this weekend. Looks like we may get a day or do of decent weather on Sunday, before the Fall rains begin anew.

Gary
    Last edited by bensonga; 6th September 2011 at 16:32.

Post Thanks / Like

The left hand grip makes it easier to shoot hand held.

Post Thanks / Like

I shoot mine outside of studio and handheld almost all the time, unless i do need long exposures of course. No problem - both with grip and without.

(btw - anyone got any clues on why grip would stop firing up RZIID? Mine suddenly went dead - cant use shutter button on it)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bensonga View Post
    I will be interested to compare similar shots with the Pentax and Mamiya glass.
    According to studies you will get sharper landscapes, shooting from tripod, not just b/c of glass, but also b/c of shutter being leaf vs focal plane - less shake.

I cant remember where and who did it. But i did see that comparision done it details, using film and 67 RZ and Pentax.