The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

IQ Backs: How good are the Sensor+ mode?

pophoto

Thanks for all the info, although I'm on the verge of system overload or just brain-pop, it has been very educational.

It really seems like binning/sensor plus would serve well in those instances mentioned on the IQ series. You lucky people!

R

rafaelrojasphoto

At 6400 (max ISO with a 1 stop push) a pleasant looking high contrast black and white image with strong grain can be produced from an IQ180 (not unlike Delta 3200 film pushed a stop). The image is not suitable for commercial use, but for artistic/personal use it's an interesting look.

This is really interesting, since I suppose that means the IQ 180 can be used at Iso 35 or 50 for quite a number of minutes if the end of the image is a fine art black and white image Michael Kenna style? (I am talking here about grainy film-like long exposures of images with minimum detail, trailing clouds and smooth waters, etc)?
In other words, if you are not really after high Dynamic Range and colour, but black and white tones and minimal detail, a really long exposure at base ISO can still be more than decent?

Doug, your answers are always so englightening!!!
Cheers,
Rafael