The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

RZ 110/2.8 vs Canon 85/1.2 II in studio. White BG.

itsskin

I have very strange results, which I would like to share with you.
Recently, I was shooting a campaign. Animal protection etc. One of the shots we needed was a dog, facing back to the camera. It was huge studio with paper white background. With several 2400 Comet generators. So, there was A LOT of reflecting light for glass to fight with. I would never expect, that RZ glass will lose. Horrible loss of contrast. Canon is 10 times better. Shots below are just cropped. RZ 110 was with ZD back iso 50/f5.6. Canon iso 100/f8
Judge yourself. Same dog position:
Canon 85/1.2 II

RZ 110/2.8 W

mvirtue

That is a case of the coatings on the RZ lenses showing their age. I find it is a fine line to walk in the studio getting the white I want while keeping the contrast. All my RZ lenses show this to some degree or another. The closer some of the reflections are to on-axis the worse it gets.

itsskin

Seems so.
Strangely, same lens can hold against the sun like nothing else... Or I am biased and like how the picture is rendered :)

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Actually, to my eyes it looks as though your 110 might have internal dust, oil fogging or possibly even fungus -- I have seen that same thing with LF lenses, and it's usually a layer of foreign matter on internal elements.

itsskin

Actually, to my eyes it looks as though your 110 might have internal dust, oil fogging or possibly even fungus -- I have seen that same thing with LF lenses, and it's usually a layer of foreign matter on internal elements.
No, believe me, it's crystal clear. And I'm not a newcomer and used to care about every spec inside my glass. Shame on me :)

mediumcool

Step 1.
Mask as much of the BG as possible.

Step 2.
Under-expose, then pull up subject with exposure, contrast and clarity, helping BG go a pure white. I recently experimented with an unintentional three- to four-stop underexposure from my 48-bit Leaf back—very impressed with the lack of noise in darker areas when processed in C1.

Don’t miss film at all.

David Schneider

The RZ 110 would have a larger field of view than the Canon 85 and you said there was a lot of lot reflecting so is it possible the RZ 100 just caught a lot more blow back from the high key background?

EH21

You probably did use one, but have to ask... did you have a lens hood on both lenses? The RZ shot looks like it got more exposure than the canon too. No doubt you could pull up the black point on the RZ file and get a better looking result. These two factors alone could make up the difference you see. I'm not sure you can really compare the two files directly out of the can anyway.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Most RZ hoods were made for 6x7 image areas. Hooding for the smaller image area of the ZD would help.

But it's also very important to note here, the 110 didn't lose to the 85: the 110+ZD lost to the 85+5DII.

SergeiR

Ilya, how far dog was from b/g.

B.c i see spill on hair, and problem with any digital back used on film camera - their guts aint used to that kind of reflective surface being inside. So every now and then - its not as much lens, but rather camera cant cope with stuff.

I am getting this as well, every now and then. Thats why i hate to shoot 110/2.8 when model is close to reflective b/g.

itsskin

Sorry for late reply.
Yes. The lens was with original rubber hood. Dog was around 3-4 meters away from background.
Bellows hud would be nice, but it doesn't change anything. As I posted earlier canon 35mm, which is MUCH-MUCH wider performed same as canon 85mm.

yaya

- Have you tried the same shot stopped down to f8-f11?
- Can you try using a black cloth over the back & adapter in case there's a light leak somewhere?

Professional

So will this test making you to get rid of RZ+ZD+110? I have this camera but not same lens and no digital back and i will not get rid of it at all, i have 180 lens which is really very nice but i didn't use that combination in studio yet, also i don't have a digital back, but i am happy that i have Hasselblad, i don't need to do the test between Canon and Hasselblad, but one day if i will get a digital back to use with my RZ and say same this lens [110] then i will give it a try.

In fact i am sure that RZ+ZD shot file will give me more room for improvement over Canon maybe, Good luck!