The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Decisions on very wide side

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Man reading this my heart is pounding

The result can be found in lenses such as the tremendously sharp, low-distortion, ultra-low chromatic aberration 24mm Schneider Digitar XL lens which is the equivalent of 17mm lens on a full frame dSLR.

N

Natasa Stojsic

Well I can't argue that point , i would love to have the P45 plus. Seriously the ultimate setup would be the P65 and P30 Plus backs together. I do love my P25 Plus though but someday i will move up. The P45 Plus backs with the new p65 coming out are coming down in price. I know Lance has several P45 plus backs coming in at pretty good prices too. Yes having the P25 plus i still have the long exposure setup which i will need for these projects for sure. Are folks using the 24mm center filter
Yes I used one on 24mm but not on 28HR...

I think without the question you need one for 24mm!!!

David Klepacki

Guy,

If you plan on ever having a Nikon D3/D300/D700 as a backup or high iso camera, another option for you would be to consider the new Nikon 24mm PC-ED tilt/shift lens. This lens can also be used with a P25 since the image circle is a little larger than the Schneider. And, it offers an even wider field of view (on medium format back, equivalent to about 21mm lens, I think). And, it does not use a center filter.

You can shoot this lens with your P25 using an inexpensive camera like the Sylvestri Bicam-NK or the KaptureGroup TrueWide.

The advantage of this lens is that when used with the smaller 35mm format, you will also be able to use its larger image circle for tilt and shift. Nikon's next spin of their D cameras (D4?) in 2009 is expected to come in at 22-24 MP, which would give you a decent wide angle tilt/shift capability. And, as you upgrade you medium format back, you will still get the advantage of the higher resolution on this ultra wide lens.

The only caveat to this idea is that you actually need a Nikon camera to set the aperture of this lens for use with other cameras. So, it becomes more or less a fixed aperture lens with a MFDB. For the occasional architectural work that you plan to do, it would not be that bad and the other benefits could offset this minor hassle.

Just another consideration, but it may provide a stronger and more versatile upgrade path for you.

BJNY

The only caveat to this idea is that you actually need a Nikon camera to set the aperture of this lens for use with other cameras. So, it becomes more or less a fixed aperture lens with a MFDB.
David, very interesting suggestion.

What is the actual procedure to set the f-stop on the 24mm for use on the Bicam, TrueWide?

Thanks,
Billy

Guy Mancuso

That is very interesting David. Might have to look into this. I am TRYING to avoid a Nikon camera. Not easy to be without a DSLR but been able to shoot everything so far with the Phase body. This maybe a rental item when really needed and cheap to rent also.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I'd be very surprised if the limited lens throat diameter required for the Nikon mount did not cast a cut-off shadow for the full IC on a full-frame DB...

David Klepacki

There is no cut-off with the TrueWide. That camera was designed specifically for using MFDBs and Nikon PC lenses with their larger image circles.

The only caveat is that the new 24mm PC-E lens cannot be manually stopped down without a Nikon body that communicates via the AF-S protocol. So, let's say you wish to shoot with it at F5.6. You would then mount the lens on the D3, for example, and set it to F5.6. When you remove the lens, it stays locked at F5.6. You then mount it on the Truewide, meter, set shutter speed, and shoot. It is fairly straightforward and easy, unless you constantly wish to change aperture.

C

carbonmetrictree

Hey Guy, I have lens comparisons of the 24XL, 28HR, and the 35XL shot on a Phase 25+ on a Alpa SWA. If you'd like to inspect the RAW files to see the difference in focal lengths, I would be happy to send them to anyone that would be interested in seeing how awesome that 24XL is. Send me a PM if you're interested!

woodyspedden

IIRC the default for phase files is XXXXX.tif. Very confusing given that Tif has been used as a file format for many years. Phase could have named it anything so I am not happy with this decision.

Woody

Dale Allyn

Woody, you are correct. I don't know if the RAW file tag can be changed in the "Pro" version of C1, but I have not found a way to do so in C1 v4.1 (or in the Phase P25+ back settings). It's very annoying to me because I prefer to save my processed files in the same folder as the RAW file and do not rename the master TIFF or PSD. To me it is a VERY poor design element of the Phase workflow (unless I'm the weak link and haven't found the preference setting :) ).

Last edited:
C

carbonmetrictree

Thanks for the heads up guys. I had to do a double take on the file format, I guess I'll be saving all of my files as PSD's from now on to make sure I don't mix them up.

Dale Allyn

Ironically, Andrew, I was trying to follow the guidance of others like Jeff Schewe, etc. and start saving my processed files as TIFFs, but of course when you go to save the file in the same folder as the like-named RAW you get an offer to over-write the RAW. Not good. Saving a layered master file as a PSD can be done in the same folder, and will stand out as a processed file. Maybe I'll start creating a separate folder to separate the RAWs from the processed files and go back to saving as TIFFs, but still I don't like two different files with the same name on my system.

I'd love to find a way to have my Phase RAW files carry a different tag.

Guy Mancuso

Hey Guy, I have lens comparisons of the 24XL, 28HR, and the 35XL shot on a Phase 25+ on a Alpa SWA. If you'd like to inspect the RAW files to see the difference in focal lengths, I would be happy to send them to anyone that would be interested in seeing how awesome that 24XL is. Send me a PM if you're interested!
Man would love to see them. Yousendit is a good way to send large files.

lance_schad

Workshop Member
Well I can't argue that point , i would love to have the P45 plus. Seriously the ultimate setup would be the P65 and P30 Plus backs together. I do love my P25 Plus though but someday i will move up. The P45 Plus backs with the new p65 coming out are coming down in price. I know Lance has several P45 plus backs coming in at pretty good prices too. Yes having the P25 plus i still have the long exposure setup which i will need for these projects for sure. Are folks using the 24mm center filter
Guy you will want to use the center filter most definitely for the 24mm lens.
Have you considered renting a system for your job ? This is always a good option for anyone considering making a move into something new. It allows you to try it in the field, and if you like we can apply the rentals paid towards a purchase.

L
Lance Schad
Capture Integration - Miami/Atlanta
Direct: 305-534-5701 x1 | Cell: 305-394-3196
Capture Integration
[email protected]

Guy Mancuso

Ironically, Andrew, I was trying to follow the guidance of others like Jeff Schewe, etc. and start saving my processed files as TIFFs, but of course when you go to save the file in the same folder as the like-named RAW you get an offer to over-write the RAW. Not good. Saving a layered master file as a PSD can be done in the same folder, and will stand out as a processed file.

I'd love to find a way to have my Phase RAW files carry a different tag.
I just name my folders whatever and Raw and whatever and finals. But yes this can be dangerous with the .tif extensions