The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Decisions on very wide side

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Guy you will want to use the center filter most definitely for the 24mm lens.
Have you considered renting a system for your job ? This is always a good option for anyone considering making a move into something new. It allows you to try it in the field, and if you like we can apply the rentals paid towards a purchase.

L
Lance Schad
Capture Integration - Miami/Atlanta
Direct: 305-534-5701 x1 | Cell: 305-394-3196
Capture Integration
[email protected]
Good idea also Lance. Center filter I hear is a must on the 24mm

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Capture One 4 DOES allow you to change the file extension to .IIQ. This is not a change in file formats; it is simply a name change. C1 4.2 Pro will also have this feature when released.

A long time ago (in computer terms) neither OSX nor Photoshop could read a raw file. That meant no ability to view even a low-res preview of a Phase One raw except in Capture One (this was in the days before Adobe Camera Raw). So Phase One named their raw file .TIF and included a very low-resolution tiff-formatted preview. This way OSX and programs like iView and Photoshop could see a thumbnail of the image. This is mostly a moot point now since Photoshop, Lightroom, and OSX have built in raw decoders. But at the time it was quite smart.

IIRC the default for phase files is XXXXX.tif. Very confusing given that Tif has been used as a file format for many years. Phase could have named it anything so I am not happy with this decision.

Woody

Dale Allyn

Doug,

Thanks for this. I had set that preference in my installation of C1 v4 to no avail. I recently reinstalled the application because it was acting hinky, but since the preference did not work in the previous installation I did not try it again this week. I will set it now and see if it sticks.

Thanks again. This is what I was hoping to find out.

Edit: No go on my system – just as before. The preference is set to IIQ however the RAW file was imported as .tif. And Capture One can not see the file now. I'm running Mac OS X.4.11 on a non-Intel PowerMac (G5) and the application is... well... not well supported. I'll upgrade to a MacPro soon, but I was hoping to stall a bit longer so that I could put the money towards other gear.

Last edited:

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Looking at the diagram CI has it does not look good for a P65 but maybe Doug can tell us

http://www.captureintegration.com/solutions/wide-angle/
I feel like a genie in a bottle. Just quit rubbing me on Sundays. The numbers for a P65+ using the 24mm are close. I'll shoot a P45+ with a 2.4mm shift and a 1.8mm rise. This will simulate the corner of the frame of a P65+ and you can judge for yourself.

I'll also run the numbers on the angle-of-view with 47mm stitched all the way across the image circle vs the angle-of-view with a single 24mm shot.

For my own recreation I have the choice of taking the 24mm on our Horseman or the 35mm. I almost always take the 35mm and stitch-inside-the-image-circle two minimally-overlapping vertical images. But then, I'm kinda crazy about resolution :).

Doug Peterson
Capture Integration, Phase One Dealer
Personal Portfolio

Last edited:

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Doug,
Edit: No go on my system – just as before. The preference is set to IIQ however the RAW file was imported as .tif. And Capture One can not see the file now. I'm running Mac OS X.4.11 on a non-Intel PowerMac (G5) and the application is... well... not well supported. I'll upgrade to a MacPro soon, but I was hoping to stall a bit longer so that I could put the money towards other gear.
I didn't think ahead. The IIQ file extension is only applied to tethered captures, not imported ones. You could always rename the files manually or with Automator to have the IIQ extension while we wait for 4.2 Pro, but this seems like more trouble that it's worth, and not worthy of a "phase one workflow" which is generally free of such BS.

Doug Peterson
Capture Integration, Phase One Dealer
Personal Portfolio

Dale Allyn

Thanks for the confirmation, Doug. I now remember about the tethered caveat, but had also forgotten it tonight. I read the before.

And BTW: I did not rub you, and will not be doing so in the future. :ROTFL: I do appreciate your input here though.

;)

C

carbonmetrictree

Hey Dale, I guess I will have at least some kind of protection by having the multiple layered files not open up in ACR, while the RAW TIFF files will. I usually create a Working Files folder for any images that I have processed through ACR, then transfer them to a Master File folder when finished.

Ironically, Andrew, I was trying to follow the guidance of others like Jeff Schewe, etc. and start saving my processed files as TIFFs, but of course when you go to save the file in the same folder as the like-named RAW you get an offer to over-write the RAW. Not good. Saving a layered master file as a PSD can be done in the same folder, and will stand out as a processed file. Maybe I'll start creating a separate folder to separate the RAWs from the processed files and go back to saving as TIFFs, but still I don't like two different files with the same name on my system.

I'd love to find a way to have my Phase RAW files carry a different tag.

C

carbonmetrictree

Hey guys, you can download each of the lens comparisons shot on a tripod at Samy's Camera for you to see how wide each of the lenses are. Feel free to do what ever you wish with them, they will be deleted once I can test out the camera on my own :D

You can download them off of my server at:

Carbonmetrictree Imaging

Always happy to share!

-Andrew

By the way, these were all shot at f/16.5 @ 3s (approximately)

Last edited:
C

carbonmetrictree

Guy,

Let me know what you feel about the lenses. I decided on the 28HR because it was in the middle of the two, but I really wish I could have the 24XL. It's just that I want to start out with only one lens for now, it was a very tough decision, considering I shoot most of my personal work with super wide lenses and my architectural work with a little longer lenses.

N

Natasa Stojsic

Guy,

Let me know what you feel about the lenses. I decided on the 28HR because it was in the middle of the two, but I really wish I could have the 24XL. It's just that I want to start out with only one lens for now, it was a very tough decision, considering I shoot most of my personal work with super wide lenses and my architectural work with a little longer lenses.
Andrew, even though I feel 24XL will become my favorite lens, I don't think you made a mistake
28HR is very nice lens:thumbup:

C

carbonmetrictree

The only issue I have with it is the weight compared to the 24XL or the 35XL, maybe I won't have to sign up for the gym after all! :D

Andrew, even though I feel 24XL will become my favorite lens, I don't think you made a mistake
28HR is very nice lens:thumbup:

T

thsinar

The Rodenstock 28 HR has the advantage that it can be shot wide open at f4 without centerfilter and still sharp till the corners. The 24 XL has to be stopped down.
The (official) shift given is pretty conservative and you can easily go a few mm more in shifts, without significant loss of sharpness.
The imace circle is bigger than the 24 and does cover bigger 645 sensors with STILL some 3/4mm shift.

Best regards,
Thierry

Guy,

N

Natasa Stojsic

The only issue I have with it is the weight compared to the 24XL or the 35XL, maybe I won't have to sign up for the gym after all! :D
To be honest, I thought mounting 28HR on on ALPA TC looked a little bulky and awkward.... but 24XL looked just right!!! Let's hope we'll make enough money so you can buy 24XL and I can add 28HR:thumbup:

One more detail in addition to what Thierry said is... with ALPA TC+24XL setup is that it doesn't balance/feel naturally/safely when you mount it on a tripod or removing it... there's always this risk of slipping through your hands because 24XL is so tiny and on the other side of the camera you have DB weight to deal with....

So I think 28HR being heavier will balance better, at least that is my experience:thumbup:

Guy Mancuso

Thanks Theirry I do like the 28mm focal length better myself which is about a 21mm in the FF DSLR arena. The center filter on the 24mm effectively does cut 2 stops which will be a issue with strobe and may have to do multiple pops. Great info folks. This obviously is a tough area in MF and also a very expensive one , so discussions about all the options are awesome. We have talked very little about these special lenses that are out there and this is something we should be engaged in. Obviously on our normal MF mirrored camera's we do hit some limitations in optical design and such when we get very wide and really only two 28mm lenses on the market from Mamiya and Hassy. With these lenses we have several bodies to attach them too. Alpa , Cambo, Horseman , Sinar, Arca Swiss and Silvestri. They are all not cheap so making a smart decision is very important at least to my wallet it is. LOL

C

carbonmetrictree

Thierry and Natasa, I'm glad to see that I made the right decision. What is the maximum shift I could possibly do with the 28HR while keeping the image intact? I'd most definitely use the 24XL on the TC for my experimental work, I don't need shifts since most of my work relies on dramatic angles.

Sorry for hijacking your thread, Guy. But I hope all of this is helping you get closer towards a decision!

Guy Mancuso

Andrew this is great info all of it. No such thing as hijacking a thread , Great info is great info.

C

carbonmetrictree

Thanks Thierry!

Guy - I've been on some incredibly sensitive forums before, didn't want to step on anyone's toes (or Alpa's for that matter) :D

lance_schad

Workshop Member
Thanks Theirry I do like the 28mm focal length better myself which is about a 21mm in the FF DSLR arena. The center filter on the 24mm effectively does cut 2 stops which will be a issue with strobe and may have to do multiple pops. Great info folks. This obviously is a tough area in MF and also a very expensive one , so discussions about all the options are awesome. We have talked very little about these special lenses that are out there and this is something we should be engaged in. Obviously on our normal MF mirrored camera's we do hit some limitations in optical design and such when we get very wide and really only two 28mm lenses on the market from Mamiya and Hassy. With these lenses we have several bodies to attach them too. Alpa , Cambo, Horseman , Sinar, Arca Swiss and Silvestri. They are all not cheap so making a smart decision is very important at least to my wallet it is. LOL
Guy,
You may want to use the multi-pop exposure box to do multiple pops of your strobes to build up your exposure.
Here is the description and article that Jeff Totaro wrote about it on our website:

http://www.captureintegration.com/2008/03/04/multiple-exposures/

Lance Schad
Capture Integration - Miami/Atlanta
Direct: 305-534-5701 x1 | Cell: 305-394-3196
Capture Integration
[email protected]