The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Decisions on very wide side

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
That sounds nice Lance, let me know what that would cost. I like the idea it does the wake up for you

Guy Mancuso

Maybe the Schnieder Apo digitar 5.6 XL. Says the highest resolution and best distortion.

Rodenstock HR 35mm F4 looks nice also and no center filter.

Do you need center filter on the Schnieder apo does not recommend it like the other 35mm lens

Switar looks nice with 72mm filter built in. But it does recommend center filter.

Stuart Richardson

It seems like the key is if you intend to use it handheld, or if you will have it on a tripod all the time. If on a tripod, lack of distortion and sharpness are more important than lens speed and vignetting (you can use the center filter and the f/11 base aperture). If you need to use it handheld or don't have the ability to create a lot of light, then the faster lenses without the need for the center filter should be a better buy, as they give you 3 stops of real speed (1 stop faster and don't require the 2 stop filter), and I imagine they don't give up TOO much sharpness and distortion to get there.

C

carbonmetrictree

I'd go with the 35mm Apo Digitar XL, I've heard great things about that lens from a friend who has an extensive set of Alpa gear.

N

Natasa Stojsic

Maybe the Schnieder Apo digitar 5.6 XL. Says the highest resolution and best distortion.

Rodenstock HR 35mm F4 looks nice also and no center filter.

Do you need center filter on the Schnieder apo does not recommend it like the other 35mm lens

Switar looks nice with 72mm filter built in. But it does recommend center filter.
Guy, I didn't need filter for Schneider Apo-Digitar 5.6/35 mm XL but 35HR is again very good lens too... faster but smaller circle though!!!

Worst case scenario... I can see myself buying 28HR next to 24XL but not 35HR next to 35XL of course unless I win national lottery:p

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
If you want wide, go W I D E... You have the 35 for the Mamiya, so get the 24 for the Alpa and be done with it!

:ROTFL:

woodyspedden

I second Jack's motion. You have the 35 focal length covered with your Mamiya and from what you have shown it is a really good lens.

You have stressed that you want the Alpa for WIDE. So go WIDE and get the 24 (or perhaps the 28, I don't know enough about Alpa to be sure although i believe Peter A mentioned that the image circle of the 24 was such that it was harder to do stitching.

Woody

lance_schad

Workshop Member
Go with the 24mm on the TC. You do not have the capabilities for movements on that system anyway. Like Jack said you have a 35 on your Mamiya.
You definitely need the center filter with that lens.
You can also always crop in.
It is probably the sharpest lense I have ever shot with!
The Multi-Pop box is $229 plus s&h.
Lance Schad
Capture Integration - Miami/Atlanta
Direct: 305-534-5701 x1 | Cell: 305-394-3196
Capture Integration
[email protected]

Guy Mancuso

Peter you need to fly into Florida and come to the workshop. We would love to have ya and besides i can play with your Alpa lenses.:D:D:D

PeterA

Couldnt think of anything nicer Guy - am taking 10 days off next week and going up to Far North = your South - for some much needed SUN. Sadly though I am up to my neck managing these melting markets and the real world...so no can do as much as I would love to meet up with all my pals...

JimCollum

did some informal playing around at my uncle's house with the Horseman.

This time was just with natural light (no strobes). some samples of how wide you can go.

center 35mm Rodenstock shot

color changes in the walls are due to reflection from artwork, rugs and windows. The next step is to take strobes and see how clean i can get them

fully shifted in all directions

i'll add more as i process them

jim

JimCollum

35mm lens, single frame

shifted full in all directions...

100% crop (didn't do any sharpening for this image... was taken at f16 for DOF)

haven't done any curves processing on it either.. pretty much straight shots

Last edited:

JimCollum

nothing scientific (ie mathematical)... but i shot the 35mm shifted fully 17mm in each direction) today along side of a D3 and the 14-24 lens. I was getting almost exactly the same field of view as 14mm on the D3