Site Sponsors

Thread: replacing flip lock on as cube

Post Thanks / Like

replacing flip lock on as cube

I believe this has come up before but can't find the specifics.

The flip-lock on my AS cube is driving me nuts as I go from one make of plate to another. I much prefer the AS screw clamp that I use on the studio stand. Can anyone tell me exactly what AS part I need to order to replace the flip-lock on the cube with a screw clamp? I need to use the clamp with both standard AS plates, and the base rail of a Monolith system.

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: replacing flip lock on as cube

The AS 802015N will fit both the new Slidefix & traditional AS/RRS plates and L brackets.

http://rodklukas.com/resources/ClassicQuickFix.pdf
    http://www.arca-shop.de/Monoballs/Ac...ball::921.html
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

What a guy: 17 minutes, with links.

Post Thanks / Like

Alternatively, you can use the RRS clamp (I just replaced my AS clamp with this one). Here's a description:

http://diglloyd.com/articles/Recomme...SwissCube.html

A minor drawback of the RRS-clamp: The screw takes a lot of space - see attached picture (sorry, it's a quick iphone shot) - it sticks out, close to 1 in.

Chris
    Last edited by cly; 4th September 2011 at 14:19. Reason: length added

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Since we're all (except Graham) offering alternatives to what you really want, let me throw in another. I use the RRS lever clamps on all my tripods, monopods and gimbal mounts. It's the B2 AS II clamp with M6 screw. And although digilloyd.com doesn't recommend it, I've never had a problem in the field. It's works like a charm. Here's the link:

http://reallyrightstuff.com/ProductD...6-screw&key=it

The good news is that there are multiple solutions/alternatives.

Joe

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

i use the RRS screw clamp and find it very secure. The large knob is a bonus so you don't turn it my mistake

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It's the Pano clamp that I threw over the wall. Almost lost my whole rig three times off my tripod carrying it. Reason I have a strap too.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

"The AS 802015N will fit both the new Slidefix & traditional AS/RRS plates and L brackets."

and even more...

i went with that one because it also fits Arca camera's rail directly !
    So, i'm using a camera rail even with my RM3D if i need to set the nodal point, or if i need to have the camera close to the wall...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Couple of points:

1) Older Cubes do not accept the newest A/S dual dovetail clamp properly, you need an entire top panning assembly -- be forewarned!

2) RRS lever clamps are not adjustable and will NOT close tight enough to clamp an original A/S plate or other non-RRS plates; RRS plates are slightly larger dovetail standard, ostensibly to avoid any patent issues with A/S.
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like

Once I discovered the phase 2 lock on the original A-S flip-lock and got the adjustment right, I found it to be arguably better than any of the alternatives. Mine now works fine (i.e., securely) both with a small A-S mount (as on the Rm3di) and with various "A-S compatible" plates. I'm considering replacing some other clamps, as Guy did.

Dave.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    RRS lever clamps are not adjustable and will NOT close tight enough to clamp an original A/S plate or other non-RRS plates; RRS plates are slightly larger dovetail standard, ostensibly to avoid any patent issues with A/S.
    That's why I use RRS L-plates on my Nikon and 645DF and a Kirk PZ-130 on my ALPA STC. With an RRS lever clamp retrofitted onto the Cube, the mount is solid and secure. Since I was already in the RRS camp, with a BH-55 ballhead and an RRS lever clamp on a couple of Wimberley gimbals, it was easier to stick with RRS than switch to another standard.

Joe

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yea i agree once you decide to go one brand stick to the brand for all your cams. Especially with the lever locks. I went completely Arca plates. Since I use the lever clamp the slidefix and the regular Arca plates work perfectly in my Arca lever clamp. For Phase shooters the Arca plates do have one just for your AFD or DF camera plate.

For those that don't want a lever lock the make the same clamp in a screw down version and you can use the slide fix and regular Arca plates as well.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the comments. Guess I will order the AS screw clamp. Jack, my cube is about year old so I hope the current clamp will fit. I'll try to check before ordering.

I agree with sticking with a single make of plate. My problem arose because I really need a hand strap for the DF body, and no one seems to have an AS plate + hand strap gizmo that fits. That put a Camadaptor plate into my system and troubles started there.

Actually, I find the screw clamp easier to use so looks like a win-win.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

One thing that I hate on the Arca clamps is that they can unscrew leaving you with the bits in your hand, if you are lucky. I was adjusting mine in the boonies of Iceland and just caught it in time. That was a tense moment - the start of a week and almost losing your tripod on day one.

How can such a beautiful piece of engineering have such a dumb feature? It's even better than the 'not level' levels.
    Cheers,
    Jeff
    www.jeff-grant.com