The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

replacing flip lock on as cube

cunim

I believe this has come up before but can't find the specifics.

The flip-lock on my AS cube is driving me nuts as I go from one make of plate to another. I much prefer the AS screw clamp that I use on the studio stand. Can anyone tell me exactly what AS part I need to order to replace the flip-lock on the cube with a screw clamp? I need to use the clamp with both standard AS plates, and the base rail of a Monolith system.

jlm

Workshop Member
i use the RRS screw clamp and find it very secure. The large knob is a bonus so you don't turn it my mistake

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
It's the Pano clamp that I threw over the wall. Almost lost my whole rig three times off my tripod carrying it. Reason I have a strap too.

archivue

"The AS 802015N will fit both the new Slidefix & traditional AS/RRS plates and L brackets."

and even more...

i went with that one because it also fits Arca camera's rail directly !
So, i'm using a camera rail even with my RM3D if i need to set the nodal point, or if i need to have the camera close to the wall...

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Couple of points:

1) Older Cubes do not accept the newest A/S dual dovetail clamp properly, you need an entire top panning assembly -- be forewarned!

2) RRS lever clamps are not adjustable and will NOT close tight enough to clamp an original A/S plate or other non-RRS plates; RRS plates are slightly larger dovetail standard, ostensibly to avoid any patent issues with A/S.

delled

Once I discovered the phase 2 lock on the original A-S flip-lock and got the adjustment right, I found it to be arguably better than any of the alternatives. Mine now works fine (i.e., securely) both with a small A-S mount (as on the Rm3di) and with various "A-S compatible" plates. I'm considering replacing some other clamps, as Guy did.

Dave.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Yea i agree once you decide to go one brand stick to the brand for all your cams. Especially with the lever locks. I went completely Arca plates. Since I use the lever clamp the slidefix and the regular Arca plates work perfectly in my Arca lever clamp. For Phase shooters the Arca plates do have one just for your AFD or DF camera plate.

For those that don't want a lever lock the make the same clamp in a screw down version and you can use the slide fix and regular Arca plates as well.

cunim

Thanks for the comments. Guess I will order the AS screw clamp. Jack, my cube is about year old so I hope the current clamp will fit. I'll try to check before ordering.

I agree with sticking with a single make of plate. My problem arose because I really need a hand strap for the DF body, and no one seems to have an AS plate + hand strap gizmo that fits. That put a Camadaptor plate into my system and troubles started there.

Actually, I find the screw clamp easier to use so looks like a win-win.

Jeffg53

One thing that I hate on the Arca clamps is that they can unscrew leaving you with the bits in your hand, if you are lucky. I was adjusting mine in the boonies of Iceland and just caught it in time. That was a tense moment - the start of a week and almost losing your tripod on day one.

How can such a beautiful piece of engineering have such a dumb feature? It's even better than the 'not level' levels.