The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Replacement coming - keep old back?

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Iq 160 value added and still money for a lens. For the hobbyist you really don't need that much in a way of a backup if any. My thoughts

In addition to the value added, I hope to have enough spare to get the 110LS for the DF and still be well under the original budget.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Iq 160 value added and still money for a lens. For the hobbyist you really don't need that much in a way of a backup if any. My thoughts
Hmm, I'm not sure that I totally agree with this statement. I'm sure that where you are coming from is that the digital back isn't critical to your income and ability to work? Well, that may be true but I'd counter that if you're 100% committed to MF digital and have a photography trip either under way or planned then you're equally out of luck if your back goes down. The difference is that you're now basically up a creek without a paddle, figuratively speaking.

I'll give you a real world example that happened to me last September in the Grand Tetons NP. I spent three weeks based out of Jackson, essentially 900 miles from "home", shooting landscapes with my Alpa & Leaf Aptus. A few days in to the trip I damaged my Aptus and was basically done at that point. Now, as it happened I'd driven there and had the luxury of also bringing along my Nikon d3x and lenses in the SUV - something I couldn't have contemplated if I'd flown due to just the weight & bulk. I was therefore able to keep shooting and enjoy the trip which would have been an expensive washout otherwise.

Now, as it happened, I had an extremely helpful dealer who offered to overnight me a replacement back with a very reasonable rental option for the remainder of the stay. I didn't need to take that offer up because I had my Nikon system as a backup. Had I not had that luxury and most likely been in the situation I more typically shoot today, I.e. Tech cam & DF system, I would have been totally dependent upon having a medium format back as the core of my system and hence need either fast replacement or a backup.

Just a real world cautionary tale ...

Guy Mancuso

There you go you want the 110 mm LS.

I have mixed feelings on the VA to be honest but in the end its not a bad move.

But I also hate buying insurance as well

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Having a great dealer is probably the most cost-effective back-up plan for normal folk. If you are an event shooter, then on-sight back-up is critical, but it may not need to be a second identical back and body and can maybe be a good DSLR and a few zooms instead...

lance_schad

Workshop Member
Having a great dealer is probably the most cost-effective back-up plan for normal folk. If you are an event shooter, then on-sight back-up is critical, but it may not need to be a second identical back and body and can maybe be a good DSLR and a few zooms instead...
Yes having a good dealer is definitely a wise choice, but is not a substitute for the VA warranty which has many other benefits such as (5) years coverage for your IQ series back with overnight swap-out/loaner provision vs (1) year return to manufacturer coverage where you may be without your back for a few weeks while repaired. You also get the ability to take advantage of (1) platform swap ($3500 charge w/o VA warranty) if you choose to change platforms during term of warranty. You also get a copy of Capture One Pro, rolling hard case, extra battery, V-series lens adapter (if you purchase DF kit at same time). The VA warranty is also transferrable which adds to the resell value of your system.

I have worked with many of the top resellers(and I am currently with Digital Transitions) and although we will go the extra mile for our customers, we strongly recommend the VA because of what I mentioned above.

Everyones situation is different, but if you are relying on your system and can't afford downtime, then it is worth it.

Lance

Guy Mancuso

Yes don't get me wrong I don't want to discourage a VA warranty either. Certainly a good thing. Great dealer is the key.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I am sorry I did not clarify -- I assume the VA warranty or whatever is similar for other backs and should not assume folks understand that about me. FTR, I even buy the Apple extended warranty for any computer. Might not for an iPad, definitely do not for my iPhone, but higher dollar items almost always :)