The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Replacement coming - keep old back?

Ok chaps, I need some help to decide, from those of you with practical experience. I bought a DM33 as a soft entry to MFD. It was really quite a good deal along with a DF body and 80mm lens. I struggled with a 5x4 for a while but quickly went to a tech cam and decided to go for an IQ. Basically for the price of an IQ180, I can have a 160 and keep the DM33. The DM33 is of stunning quality and a very large sensor area. It really is a great back with lovely tonality. I feel reluctant to give it up, but the trade in is pretty good, I don't think I could get the same second hand. I don't do commercial work, but still a back doesn't take up much room. I worry though that if I don't take the trade in, that I'll find I don't use the back at all and it'll just sit there depreciating away.

Any suggestions, comments, advice?

Paul

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
LOL get the IQ 160 sell the DM 33 and buy more glass for the tech cam. I know thats what i would do. But I'm a glass whore.

Now the IQ 180 is a awesome back no question about it and don't want to deter you from it. Question comes down to do you need it. I'm the logical one here and i don't always need the shiny new toy. Obviously we are all different here but the 160 is killer good and no shame in owning it trust me I love mine. But for the extra money I would want more glass for my tech cam. But thats me.

Now also for me my clients know i am shooting a 60 mpx back and regardless of what people say it does impress them a ton but they would never see the difference between the 160 and 180 and for that matter even the 140. The question I pose to you is this if your out to impress yourself than get the 180 its amazing but if you want to put that extra money into something that may count more like shooting glass what would serve YOU better. Ultimately its your call and I made the same one with the 140 vs 160 and that difference in money was a lot greater but I wanted full frame this time. Here the 160 vs 180 you will gain a little more DR and a little better color smoothness in the file. The tonal range is longer on the 180 but its not worldly IMHO. The difference in price is a SK 28 or similar. Me i will take the lens.

The one big reason many went to the 180 was simply this . Current P65+ owners got a sweet upgrade price to the 180 and doing a lateral to the IQ 160 made little sense given the money. For a couple grand more they where simply better off going to the 180 not that many needed it just made sense. Phase twisted there arm with the pricing for them. There where a ton of P65 shooters and why the 180 is selling like hotcakes. Simply good business for Phase. Hats off to them. Don't get me wrong the 180 owners love there backs and for darn good reason it is beautiful and i think it is one hell of a great back.

Shashin

Personally, I would keep the DM33 and mount it on another body. I like shooting two cameras--one with a wide angle and one with a normal (or one tech and one SLR). You also would have a backup--something some of us think is very important.

(I will not explain the irony here.) ;)

(And for my next trick, I will make Guy smile...)

Last edited:

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
I'd contact one of the more experienced dealers about a price to convert the DM33 into an infrared digital back.

It would maintain resale value (though be harder to resell as it would then be a specialty market) and compliment rather than duplicate your existing tools.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

Masters Series Workshop:
New England Landscape - Fall Color (Oct 5-8)

Don Libby

I'd contact one of the more experienced dealers about a price to convert the DM33 into an infrared digital back.

It would maintain resale value (though be harder to resell as it would then be a specialty market) and compliment rather than duplicate your existing tools.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

Masters Series Workshop:
New England Landscape - Fall Color (Oct 5-8)

Oh Yeah! :thumbs:

vjbelle

I worry though that if I don't take the trade in, that I'll find I don't use the back at all and it'll just sit there depreciating away.
I think that says it all. Once you use an IQ180 you won't want to use anything else.... and don't forget that you get 20MP worth of Sensor Plus. I would take the trade in and move forward.

Victor

yaya

Just throwing a spanner here:)

Trade the 33 in for an Aptus-II 12 and use the change for more glass for the tech cam...

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I'll swim upstream and say get the IQ-160 and keep the DM-33.

I find it very helpful having 2x backs at times since you can have one on the DF body and one on the tech camera. It's not a bad idea to have a back up either.

I decided to do the same thing with my recent upgrades. I traded my P40+ against an IQ160 and kept my Aptus 65 as a spare/second body. I'm not pixel challenged by either back and I have the option to use whichever is most appropriate as my primary back/camera system depending upon the shooting situation.

If I could have stretched to it I'd have actually even kept the P40+ and traded the Aptus against the IQ160 but you have to cut off the sucking sound from your wallet somewhere! :eek:

rupho

Hi Paul
I Would ask myself :
- What does the DM33 do that the IQ cannot?
- do I need simultaneous shooting with 2 backs?
- when things go bad I need an immediate ( more or less)replacement?

Knowing you I d say 2 backs are overkill especially given the incredible interface of the IQ you probably will not give the DM a second thought.

You could always decide to get the value added package for an IQreplacement unit within 48 hours if things go bad.
I had this happen and Phase send me a brand new back within 48 hours ( I opted into value added) since I can't afford 2 IQs and would not want to go back to the old interface . PERIOD
When I am traveling on assignment I bring a 1Ds3 or 5 D as back up which I still have and can't give up.
Long story short trade it in and buy either glass or the value added package that will you a peace of mind for the next 5 years if your worried to end up "back- less" for longer stretches of time
Grischa

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I think that says it all. Once you use an IQ180 you won't want to use anything else.... and don't forget that you get 20MP worth of Sensor Plus. I would take the trade in and move forward.

Victor
What he said :)

Thanks everyone for the considered replies. This has been helpful to me. I am reluctant to let go of gear, but I do feel now, it is not worth keeping the old back, for me. It's easy to look at the numbers and think it's only a small increment relatively speaking. But in absolute terms it's still a decent chunk of cash that could be put to better use, much better use.

I really do appreciate everyones time!
Paul

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Long story short trade it in and buy either glass or the value added package that will you a peace of mind for the next 5 years if your worried to end up "back- less" for longer stretches of time
Btw, I think that this is excellent advice, particularly given the newness of the IQ and the new longer 5 year warranty & loaner service if you're down for any reason. Even though I kept my Aptus I did opt for this option for peace of mind after having had to buy a replacement back before and had one off at Leaf/MAC for several weeks.

It's not cheap but overall on an IQ160 or 180 it's not unreasonable.

- when things go bad I need an immediate ( more or less)replacement?

Knowing you I d say 2 backs are overkill especially given the incredible interface of the IQ you probably will not give the DM a second thought.

You could always decide to get the value added package for an IQreplacement unit within 48 hours if things go bad.
I had this happen and Phase send me a brand new back within 48 hours ( I opted into value added) since I can't afford 2 IQs and would not want to go back to the old interface . PERIOD...
Grischa
Btw, I think that this is excellent advice, ...
yes Grischa, Graham, this makes a lot of sense. I'll contact the dealer tomorrow to get the quote for this. It's true it makes more sense than keeping the back, especially given my workflow will change so dramatically between the two units.