Re: Show us your Tech Cam

A boring weekend...
    Leica | Angenieux | Alpa | Hasselblad | Phase One
    www.raymondchak.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I would not mind a boring weekend , if it ends with that RODIE lens in my backpack.
    Regards . Jürgen .
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a tech cam solution from a hiking landscape photographer.

It's my new layout in the F-stop XL Pro internal camera unit after recently getting the SK60XL (one more lens caused some reordering needs). The XL ICU fits into the Satori Exp backpack, and while it's tight the top lenses can be pulled out through the smallish backpack opening.

The lens lineup is as follows: all Schneider Digitar, 35XL, 47XL, 60XL, 72, 90, 120, 180, that is 7 lenses. All lenses have a 10cm cable release attached for quicker setup.

The F-stop ICU is designed for DSLR gear and is a bit deeper than needed for the Techno gear. To make better use of the space I have filters stored under the camera body, and extra batteries and CF cards and other tiny things in small pouches (well, plastic bags actually ) under the lenses.

The sliding back has the digital back mounted in place, and the back has the synch cable attached, so when setting up the system you just put up the body on the tripod, attach the back and shoot. Only change lens if needed. In the image the body has no lens attached, but the normal case is that you have one of the lenses on the body.

When using the 180mm or the 120mm on closeups one need to change to the long bellows.

List of contents:

* Linhof Techno body
    * Lee Filters Seven compact filter with 4 grads
    * 72mm Polariser and one ND
    * 7 lenses as listed, with filter rings adapted to 72mm filter diameter except for the 40.5mm lenses, means fast filter setup.
    * Step-up ring for 40.5 to 72mm when attaching filters to the 40.5mm lenses (the 72, 90 and 120)
    * Sliding back with Leaf Aptus 75 digital back
    * 4 normal batteries and one large
    * long cable release as extra
    * (not shown) rocket blower
    * (not shown) neck pouch with LCC card, mechanical stop watch, leitz fokos rangefinder, 12x and 20x loupe, dof/tilt table card.
    * extra CF cards
    * optical cleaning cloth
    * (not shown) black t-shirt used as focusing cloth (rarely needed thanks to gg shade and bright gg, but it's still important as padding for the Techno body when carrying)

I got a lens shade too for the filter system which does fit into the box on top of the body, but I never really use it so I have left it out. I do it the classic way and shade with the hand or hat.

In addition to this there's a Gitzo extra long systematic tripod and a Arca-Swiss D4 head.

The box with all gear weighs 8.7 kg / 19.2 pounds, the tripod with head 3.0 kg / 6.6 pounds, gear total is thus 11.7 kg / 25.8 pounds. I challenge anyone to put together a tech cam system with 7 lenses to fit into this package, both volume and weight wise . I think it would be tough even with a 35mm DSLR system if you want to have only primes and first class tilt-shift lenses.

On day hikes I can use my Satori Exp bag, but on multi-day hikes when I need full gear with sleeping bag, tent etc I use a Bergans Powerframe 130L backpack:

Powerframe 130L Dk Green - Bergans of Norway

There's many bigger backpacks on the market but few that fits an F-stop XL ICU and at the same time has it easily accessible. The 130L does that. I mount the tripod on the side of the backback instead of one side pocket (side pockets are detachable). The backpack works fine with only the camera gear in it too (compresses okay), so once the camp has been set up you can unload all gear except the camera and go out shooting.

It should be said while the camera gear is light for what you get, hiking with the camera and full camping gear and food gets heavy, count on 25 - 30 kg (55 - 66 lbs) depending on how lightweight camping gear you have and how much food you need.
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Torger, just looking at what you manage to fit in your backpack, you make a strong case for the smaller Schneider designs over the Rodenstocks. I have the latter, but they certainly take up more room and are heavy!

Post Thanks / Like

Wow Torger! The pack weighs 5 kg empty! I am such a wimp complaining about my whole Alpa kit at 10 lbs (not including tripod) in the other thread...

You make me wonder after how many lenses does the Tecno become the lightest camera? No helicals, only a light lens board per lens; everything else is shared. Not to mention the long lenses take up the least space and are light. A 180mm in an Alpa mount would take the space of three or four of your lenses.

Very nice!
    How glorious a greeting the sun gives the mountains! - John Muir

davechewphotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Just for fun!
    Alpa FPS • MAX • TC | Alpagon 32Hr | Helvetar 75 | Schneider 120N | Leaf Aptus II 5 • Leaf Credo 60 | www.danlindberg.com

Post Thanks / Like

Yes I like the compact Schneider designs. They've unfortunately lost a bit in popularity as they the more recent smaller pixel sensors have cast/crosstalk issues with the wides, and the wides are not as razor-sharp as the Rodie wides (but has less distortion on the other hand). I hope sensor technology will eventually solve the cast/crosstalk issue so this type of design can become more popular again.

Concerning wide angle sharpness I think this type of lens design reaches a sufficient level. I'm not shooting f/8, my most common aperture is f/16, and I never go wider than f/11. For my shooting style a more compact lens optimized for these smaller apertures makes more sense.

Now and then I think about upgrading digital back, but I realize that I don't really need more megapixels for resolving power, 33 megapixels with careful raw conversion and sharpening is enough as diffraction limits what you can get. Sure there are occassional shots when I could resolve more, but they don't happen too often in my shooting style which is much about closer more intimite landscapes than panoramic grand views. Still more megapixels would be nice to reduce aliasing issues. But looking how the 6um Dalsa sensors performs with the 35XL (ie not that great) I'm more and more looking at maybe just upgrading to a Aptus-II 7 (newer and faster version of the 33 megapixel back) would be better for me than going for an Aptus-II 10 or similar.

I'm really showcasing one of Linhof Techno's strong points here, if you have a shooting style that gains from having a wide range of focal lengths to choose from (I like it a lot) it's a great system, and probably less bulky and lighter than most others. If you only use a few focal lengths of shorter length a pancake camera system will be lighter of course. Techno's body and sliding back adds some base weight. I don't know where the break-even point is, but it probably comes faster if using Schneider Digitar lenses.

Yes the powerframe backpack is heavy empty, it's because it's an aluminum hard frame backpack, so in those 25 kg I mentioned I do include the backpack weight. There's an advantage though. With the Satori Exp backpack I cannot carry the 3 kg tripod comfortably on the backpack so I carry it in my hand or over my head/shoulder. Putting it on the back of the backback it gets too rear-heavy (3 kg tripod is a bit too heavy to carry so far out from the body's center of mass), and putting on the side the backpack gets too side-heavy. With the Powerframe backpack I can carry it on the side without balance issues, especially when I counter-balance it with a water bottle or something in the side-pocket on the other side.
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I've said it before, but I'll say it again. I love the Techno. It's a very underrated system. Understandably, some don't like the ground glass focusing, but the extra effort to use it pays off IMHO.

Post Thanks / Like

Just for good measure, I'll post a (bad iPhone) photo of my Techno.
    Still haven't managed to get hold of an Arca-Swiss D4 geared head, but my old, trusty Gitzo pan-tilt does an admirable job all the same.
    Using a Lee universal hood with a 90mm Rodenstock (blue band), Horseman 6x7cm film back and bag bellows. I use the Silvestri ground glass and frame to focus and compose. I was surprised at how good this GG solution is!

Post Thanks / Like

Arca Swiss Rm3di with the e-module cloud. This is one of the newest edition cloud. My tum unit was older so it required some factory modification and calibration before I could use the cloud. Note the jack on the body is the older type.

The cloud is a great help. I still use the laser in addition when going for critical focus. The focus range indication is a treat and I no longer need to tilt the neck and look at the front of the camera to turn the focusing helical when focusing. It is much more ergonomic and makes it a lot easier when trapped in the corner during shoots which seems to happen a lot.

Leica M9-P ● M8 ● M6 | ZM 21 | Elmarit 28 | Summilux 35, 50 |
    Arca Rm3di | RS Digaron-S 35, 60, 100 | SK 43XL | 645 XF | IQ360 | SK 35, 40-80 |

http://www.stevetsai.photography/
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I've never quite understood how the Arca e-module works, or at least how it can accurately indicate focus distance. I'll have to do some research, I guess, but wouldn't it just be easier to use a laser range finder and do without the extra weight?

Post Thanks / Like

My tech cam set up
    Last edited by rayyen; 12th July 2014 at 02:13.
    www.raymondchak.com
    Likes 9 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lovely , just lovely .
    Watering my mouth .
    Regards . Jürgen .
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, did you win the lottery?!

Post Thanks / Like

I work very very hard :-(

Quote Originally Posted by Sarnia View Post
    Wow, did you win the lottery?!
    www.raymondchak.com
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Re: Show us your Tech Cam

Smart Carrier, is born from Smart Flex-L plate.
    Have Fun,

Sunchai

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sunchai

A very nice and interesting gear . Looks to be machined very well .
    But you should give detailed info about the function .
    Regards . Jürgen .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jotloob View Post
    Sunchai

A very nice and interesting gear . Looks to be machined very well .
    But you should give detailed info about the function .
    Hi, Jotloob, Thanks,

On top of the rear standard and front standard of the carrier have built in the Arca clamp style
    So any arca compatible plate can be mounted on the top of both standard.
    However, the main designed is to carry the Smart Flex-L Plate and there compatible camera.(P1,Leica,Canon,Nikon,Sony,Pentex and…) and it can take the digital back with add on accessory as showing with the attached image.
    *The geared Swing Tilt with Lens holder unit can be mounted on top and easy take off from Front Standard this should reduce the size will make the unit compacted when travelling
    *lens holder it will working with Has. RZ. RB. and copal 0. Lens.
    *Double focusing with double rail system, Front focus by normal gear and rear focusing by lead screws which slow movement and will more precision focus. The rail on rail system also make it compact size and can be extend when need.
    *Both Front standard and Rear standard can adjust for Rise and Fall by 14mm /14mm.by geared and slide shift for left and right by 14mm./14mm.and the smart Flex unit can do also the slide shift by itself.
    Note the attached image do not show the bellow which is need, I think without bellow it is more easy seen.

Sunchai.

Post Thanks / Like

hre are my weapons:
    Cambo WRS+leaf Aptus 12+ Rodenstock 23HR, 28HR, 32HR, 40HR, 55,
    Schneider 35xl, 47xl, 72xl, 100, 120
    Arca swiss M-2 + Rotaslide + Kapture group sliding back.

Post Thanks / Like

Weapons part 2:
    Arca Swiss M-line 2 + rotaslide+kapture group+ leaf aptus 12+ H3d39

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sunchai View Post
    Hi, Jotloob, Thanks,

On top of the rear standard and front standard of the carrier have built in the Arca clamp style
    So any arca compatible plate can be mounted on the top of both standard.
    However, the main designed is to carry the Smart Flex-L Plate and there compatible camera.(P1,Leica,Canon,Nikon,Sony,Pentex and…) and it can take the digital back with add on accessory as showing with the attached image.
    *The geared Swing Tilt with Lens holder unit can be mounted on top and easy take off from Front Standard this should reduce the size will make the unit compacted when travelling
    *lens holder it will working with Has. RZ. RB. and copal 0. Lens.
    *Double focusing with double rail system, Front focus by normal gear and rear focusing by lead screws which slow movement and will more precision focus. The rail on rail system also make it compact size and can be extend when need.
    *Both Front standard and Rear standard can adjust for Rise and Fall by 14mm /14mm.by geared and slide shift for left and right by 14mm./14mm.and the smart Flex unit can do also the slide shift by itself.
    Note the attached image do not show the bellow which is need, I think without bellow it is more easy seen.

Sunchai.

I do love that product shot .

Thank you Sunchai for your description .
    Regards . Jürgen .

Post Thanks / Like

it is carry Leica and Has V. lens.
    Have fun.
    Sunchai.

Post Thanks / Like

Still a love affair....

Alpa FPS • MAX • TC | Alpagon 32Hr | Helvetar 75 | Schneider 120N | Leaf Aptus II 5 • Leaf Credo 60 | www.danlindberg.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Dan

I discover a bellows hood , i have not seen before . Can you please give some details and who makes that system ?
    Thank you .
    Regards . Jürgen .

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, I've missed this question...

It's a standard Hasselblad Proshade where I have unscrewed the rails.

Dan

I discover a bellows hood , i have not seen before . Can you please give some details and who makes that system ?
    Thank you .

Post Thanks / Like

the carrier, carry Roden.45mm and IQ180.
    Sunchai.

Post Thanks / Like

Traveller's packing
    www.raymondchak.com
    Likes 12 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ray , you should also add a portrait of your sherpa .
    Regards . Jürgen .

Post Thanks / Like

Sherpa, is essential, hahaha
    www.raymondchak.com

Post Thanks / Like

it is the carrier systems
    120 Rodi Macro lens on the front , IQ260 with P1 body on rear standard.

Sunchai.

Post Thanks / Like

the carrier systems:
    Has V. lens and copal 3 behind the lens shutter on front standard
    RB shift adapter mounted with IQ260 on rear standard.

Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

First time poster here.

So finally, after 2 months of waiting, I recieved my "starter" set, the 32 has been delayed by Rodenstock and rejected by ALPA, but finally I got everthing on Xmas day!

So finally I can join the club here, now just need to find time to go out to take pictures

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by beano_z View Post
    First time poster here.

So finally, after 2 months of waiting, I recieved my "starter" set, the 32 has been delayed by Rodenstock and rejected by ALPA, but finally I got everthing on Xmas day!

So finally I can join the club here, now just need to find time to go out to take pictures
    Why was the lens delayed by Rodenstock and rejected by ALPA ? ? ?
    Regards . Jürgen .

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by beano_z View Post
    First time poster here.

So finally, after 2 months of waiting, I recieved my "starter" set,
    As Alpa 'starter' kits go that's no too shabby! Starting with the best on all fronts by the look of it.
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Post Thanks / Like

Why was the lens delayed by Rodenstock and rejected by ALPA ? ? ?
    I got two notifications of Rodenstock delaying the delivery to ALPA, then, one day before he shipping date to me, ALPA said the lens they recieved didn't pass their quality control so they had to send it back.

In the end I got another lens (presumably ordered for some other purpose) delivered to me as they felt bad failing twice delivering the lens at their promised time.

Anyway, that's what I was told by ALPA, because the only contact I had was with their local official distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    As Alpa 'starter' kits go that's no too shabby! Starting with the best on all fronts by the look of it.
    Thanks, other than the back, I'm actually not looking to upgrade anything anytime soon, maybe another lens in between the 32 and 90 sometime next year

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Is that an STC or a MAX? Sorry about the silly question, I don't know much about these cameras yet.
    Carsten - Website

Post Thanks / Like

That's a MAX. The STC only has one grip.

Dave

davechewphotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

HRW50 / STC / p45+

Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Weekend morning
    www.raymondchak.com

Post Thanks / Like

Other people take snapshots of their kids on weekend mornings.

Tech cam owners take photos of their, well,......

Hey, your other Alpas (kids) are gonna get jealous....

Post Thanks / Like

Photo of an elder brother of the family...
    www.raymondchak.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to Phase One Hong Kong let me test this little gem.

www.raymondchak.com
    Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

www.raymondchak.com

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kdphotography View Post
    Other people take snapshots of their kids on weekend mornings.

Tech cam owners take photos of their, well,......

Hey, your other Alpas (kids) are gonna get jealous....
    What if someone has both, Alpa and kids?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Paratom View Post
    What if someone has both, Alpa and kids?
    ALPA of course has priority .
    Regards . Jürgen .

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The Bergans looks heavy, even empty. From their website it looks like it weighs 11 lbs. Did I read that correctly? Is it waterproof? Looks like a beast though - very durable. Need to do more squats & deadlifts for this puppy!

Post Thanks / Like

My STC got a little brother.

davechewphotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dchew View Post
    My STC got a little brother.

Hey Dave,

Congratulations on the new addition to the family.
    My MAX got a little TC sister recently. I should take a snap of them together too.

Cheers,
    Darr
    "Creativity takes courage." ~ Henri Matisse
    Darlene Almeda, photoscapes.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Darr. You should show us all!

BTW, I don't like the little finger grip. My 70hr is an SB17, and that adapter jams my fingers with this grip. If I get the regular hand grip it looks like there is more finger room based on Alpa's photos. Is that right?

Dave

davechewphotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dchew View Post
    Thanks Darr. You should show us all!

BTW, I don't like the little finger grip. My 70hr is an SB17, and that adapter jams my fingers with this grip. If I get the regular hand grip it looks like there is more finger room based on Alpa's photos. Is that right?

Dave
    Yes, I believe there is more finger room. I will try and take a snap of my TC tomorrow with me holding it by the grip so you can see how it looks.

Darr
    "Creativity takes courage." ~ Henri Matisse
    Darlene Almeda, photoscapes.com