Site Sponsors
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Show us your Tech Cam

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Show us your Tech Cam

Quote Originally Posted by Body-scenics View Post
    All of this discussion and viewing the images of the cameras makes me want to go out and try one. I have to admit that I have never used a Tech Cam, but have always been fascinated by them and the results that one can achieve.
    I feel the same way. I also feel I can discern the image improvements, whether this is factual or make belief, the impression has not been disappointing. I agree that to a certain degree this may also have a lot to do with me being a gear bucket ('head' in your cases) :P

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well - I think I should show our newest version of improvement - still a prototype but what a fun to use: the 7cm longer TSE collar on the HCam-B1.
    First of it´s kind, still not eloxed, allowing to rotate the camera 90 degrees while still being paralaxfree.
    HCam-B1 with P45+, Canon TS-E 17, Hartblei Loupe finder 4,4x and radio remote control.
    because photography is more than technology - and " as we have done this all the time "
    facebook:hcam.de - www.hcam.de - www.hartblei.de

Post Thanks / Like

Stefan: Actually the only thing I don't like about the collar is the long stem in the original model. For a 5D2, I think it's not necessary. A really short one would be much better, even with a battery pack attached to the camera (I think). It would make the lens very awkward and difficult to put inside a photo bag.
    Other request. Could you upload a video in Youtube showing how to attach the collar to the lens and a little of the operation?
    TIA
    Eduardo

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Eduardo

the lenght of the short collar is just long enough to leave enough space for your hand to hold the camera (with 5DII with battery grip or D1bodies) while turning.
    I did add some images to the TSE Colar page recently which show operation
    (from the manual that comes with each collar - still German will translate this to english soon) see here:
    http://hartblei.de/en/canon-tse-collar.htm

regards
    Stefan
    Last edited by Stefan Steib; 21st October 2011 at 23:20.
    because photography is more than technology - and " as we have done this all the time "

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Stefan for the info.
    Eduardo

Post Thanks / Like

Alpa 12 TC and Rodenstock 40 HR

Post Thanks / Like

That little TC is so sweet! I would not mind one.....

I have tweaked my viewfinder and it is a real success. Maybe not for all, but for me it works perfect. I have used the 72mm screen and put white dots exactly on the line for a 35mm. I know you can have double thin lines but i prefer it this way. It is very quick to see correct framing for 35, you still have light and air around the dots, but it is really clear what is in your frame.

Alpa FPS • MAX • TC | Alpagon 32Hr | Helvetar 75 | Schneider 120N | Leaf Aptus II 5 • Leaf Credo 60 | www.danlindberg.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by wentbackward View Post
    Alpa 12 TC and Rodenstock 40 HR
    Great shot of the camera.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Travel camera: Arca-Swiss Rm2D, Arca-Swiss P1 ballhead, SK 43mm XL, Mamiya neck strap:-)

Interiors/ tests camera: Cambo WDS with my DIY Delrin handle (smaller and lighter than the wooden one) and £3 cable release (works a treat as I'm a lefty), SK 35mm XL

Favourite back on both is the AFi-II (not shown) with the tilt screen and the rotating sensor

Yair

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

ALPA MAX + Rodenstock 70mm HR W

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I like the ( much maligned) Alpa viewfinder and its various masks. T

Recently I bought a Leaf Afi 11 7 from Son ( thanks Son! - great guy to deal with) in order to provide for a back up back in Afi mount - the Afi 11 has inbuilt rotating back which is a bonus as the Alpa viewfinder also rotates

This is a plain vanilla 12WA model - and I have been shooting with it for over 5 years now..I will probably add a 12STC to the bag for its rise/stitching capabilities when on holiday and not carrying the artec

these were snaps made this afternoon - the first ay in many when we had some nice sunlight - I used my Leica S2 and a 70mm to make the snaps. Later I will post shots of the Sinar Artec - I think the best real tech camera out there ( yes Guy, I know I promised and I will do a review one day!

btw - I love my Alpa camera a lot and I think teh prefect walk around lens to match it is the 35 Schneider digitar (pictured) - however I limit my digi chip sizes on tech cameras to 33 megapixels, thus not having to worry about a lot of issues which come with larger chips and various wide angle lenses. Both Leaf and Sinar backs do NOT require a multi trigger cable - definite advantages for the tech shooter in a rush!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi,
    my first post
    and my camera
    http://www.grzegorzpedzich.com/
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Welcome to the forum Grzegorz!
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like

I mounted the 'upsidedown device' on the SWA. I use fall quite a bit and in the end it is a little hassle (out in the field) to switch lens to back and Db to front. My workflow now when needing fall is to set it up in the normal position, set focus, exposure and estimate how much fall and then simply turn it upsidedown.

The ring is mounted with a magnet and comes off in a splitsecond. I have realised that I do not need the viewfinder that much. The ring is only to pinpoint centrepoint and then rely on spiritlevels. I know now the coverage of my lenses so I am almost always accurate with composition without the viewfinder. The weight is close to nothing so that is also a bonus.

Looks kind of minimalistic and suits my purpose...

By the way, what do you think of my new handles? I love them

Alpa FPS • MAX • TC | Alpagon 32Hr | Helvetar 75 | Schneider 120N | Leaf Aptus II 5 • Leaf Credo 60 | www.danlindberg.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Shelby Lewis

(I know the mods will probably get this )

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Not "show us your high tech camera. Perhaps another thread is needed?

Post Thanks / Like

You ALPA looks awesome Dan.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice tripod Shelby. How much does that weigh?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The "light weight" Berlebachs weigh about six pounds: http://www.berlebach.de/?bereich=firma&sprache=english

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

another version of the classic light ashwood: (Listed in the FS); a different structural approach

Shelby Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by etrump View Post
    Nice tripod Shelby. How much does that weigh?
    Let's just say it's weight is in line with the rest of the system

Stephen's link is good... around 6lbs which, to me, isn't that bad as I'm not a trekker with this gear too often.

Had that Ries been on sale when I bought my Berlebach, I might have changed my mind! Lovely legs.

Ok, I'll bow out of my OT-ness!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shelby Lewis View Post
    Let's just say it's weight is in line with the rest of the system

Stephen's link is good... around 6lbs which, to me, isn't that bad as I'm not a trekker with this gear too often.

Had that Ries been on sale when I bought my Berlebach, I might have changed my mind! Lovely legs.

Ok, I'll bow out of my OT-ness!
    I'm sure it makes for a stable kit and looks classy as well. I've seen guys lug tripods like yours into the wilderness but it takes a hearty soul.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I need to take a shot of my new rig. It's pretty dang sexy looking
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

How about the fashion photographers tech cam...

It's an "overgrown" MF slr with the front of a technical camera. All the lenses from 50mm to 500mm including a 100-200mm zoom support tilt and shift.

I use the tilt and swing as well as the shift.

shift is great for those portraits from below the eye line. Gives the image a less distorted look without the head being a little smaller and the shoulders heavier.

Here are a couple of examples:

I also like to use the tilt for focus control, especially when shooting wide open.
    It is so nice to be able to focus on two people on opposite sides of the frame and at different distances from the camera and keep a super shallow depth of field.

Here is a comparison (scanned contact prints cropped to half the frame)

With no tilt

With tilt correction. Notice how both the models are in focus while the depth of field is still very shallow.

I often use the tilt very slightly to enhance bokeh on the background.
    Here is an example:

Here I used a little bit of tilt to keep a bit more car in focus while still having strong separation from the background.

As I have a nice set of these Fuji GX680 lenses I am making a tilt and shift rig for them
    to use with my Phase One DF. I will mainly use it with the lenses wide open, but manual stop down is possible with these lenses.
    These lenses are really nice wide open. Nice and sharp and spectacular bokeh. The 125 3.2 and the 180 3.2 are my favorites.
    I am making the rig with the front end of a GX680 and a wide angle bellows.
    Last edited by FredBGG; 13th December 2011 at 20:08.
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Shelby Lewis

Oohhh... I love how we "big camera" folk are staging an insurrection in this thread.

(ok, truthfully, I'm just jealous I don't own an alpa)

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

IF phase could achieve full motion live view it would be great to shoot fashion and portrait with a mini tech view camera.

I have already made one with two front ends or a Fuji GX 680.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The meaning of "technical camera" has become very loose (if it has any meaning at all now). In fact, a technical camera was considered a flat-bed metal view camera like the ones made by Linhof and Wista and was even carried over to some monorail cameras. The Fuji is much more of a technical camera than an Alpa TC (which is not a technical camera by definition), which has its roots in ultra-wide cameras like the Hasselblad SWC, Brooks Veriwide, or Horseman SW612 (the one without the shifts). Actually, the Fuji falls under the classic definition of a technical camera (the RZ67 does not, sorry Shelby).

Post Thanks / Like

It has effectively become very loose, the definition of "technical". At the origine it was meant for cameras with tilt/swing possibilities with the image plane. In this respect the Fuji isn't any more a technical camera than any other. The Alpa TC can as well be fitted with accessories allowing tilt/swing.
    But as said, the term "technical" is very loose.

Thierry

Quote Originally Posted by Shashin View Post
    The meaning of "technical camera" has become very loose (if it has any meaning at all now). In fact, a technical camera was considered a flat-bed metal view camera like the ones made by Linhof and Wista and was even carried over to some monorail cameras. The Fuji is much more of a technical camera than an Alpa TC (which is not a technical camera by definition), which has its roots in ultra-wide cameras like the Hasselblad SWC, Brooks Veriwide, or Horseman SW612 (the one without the shifts). Actually, the Fuji falls under the classic definition of a technical camera (the RZ67 does not, sorry Shelby).
    Thierry Hagenauer
    [email protected]

Shelby Lewis

Oh, look what I've started. I know fully my RZ isn't a tech cam... I was just having a little light-hearted fun (seeing that my heavy RZ set-up is kind of the antithesis of what most around here call a "tech cam".)

I still want an alpa, regardless of how you label it.

Cheers!
    Shelby

Post Thanks / Like

Nothing serious to fight about or for. It's all a question of definition, which doesn't exist here.

Thierry
    Quote Originally Posted by Shelby Lewis View Post
    Oh, look what I've started. I still want an alpa, regardless of how you label it.
    Shelby
    Thierry Hagenauer
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Fun is certainly welcome in Dante's Inferno. We are all just sick people anyway. LOL
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Honestly I'm not so sure the word MF would even be correct. That was for film so really what are we now large sensor. Well than the question is how large is large. Hmmmm

Funny on Calumets site they call our lenses large format. Which we all think 4x5 or larger.

Are we really nameless by definition . Interesting thought

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

Jeff asked me this in a PM, but I thought I would answer here
    as it is relevant to technical cameras...

"I use the tilt and swing as well as the shift.

shift is great for those portraits from below the eye line. Gives the image a less distorted look without the head being a little smaller and the shoulders heavier.

Here are a couple of examples:"

Dear FredBGG,

May I ask, what did you do to first image example? (looks great by the way)
    Shift up or down? how?

thanks

jeff
    Here is what I did in these images:

Here I just shifted the lens up so as to compensate for the camera pointing up towards the model. It made the proportion of the shoulders and head more natural.
    The head is made a wee bit larger and less "distant" giving the image a bit more of the look of a shorter focal length despite being shot with a 250mm.

In this image I shifted the lens up. but also used tilted the lens down just a little and swing (horizontal tilt) slightly to the right.

The shift was to compensate for the lowish angle. The tilt and swing was for put the focus just where I wanted it. On the eyes (both)
    and down the neck to the texture on the dress.... but the real magic is Dawn's beauty.....
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FredBGG View Post
    IF phase could achieve full motion live view it would be great to shoot fashion and portrait with a mini tech view camera.

I have already made one with two front ends or a Fuji GX 680.

DearFredBGG,

Please show us your custom modify Fuji GX680?

Best

J

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Honestly I'm not so sure the word MF would even be correct. That was for film so really what are we now large sensor. Well than the question is how large is large. Hmmmm
    No... our sensors are piddly little sub 645 sized...

This is the real thing:

8x10 digital sensor

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This is the real thing:

8x10 digital sensor
    I actually just recently met the owner/developer of this system and saw it in action. It is real!

Lance
    LANCE SCHAD - Digital Transitions - Phase One,Mamiya | Leaf,Arca-Swiss,Cambo, Profoto
    direct/cell:610-496-5586 office:877-367-8537x224
    http://www.digitaltransitions.com email:[email protected]

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Lance, what is the resolution and performance (colour tonality, dynamic range) of this back? I understand the owner/developer uses it as a digital polaroid, but does the final frame with film?
    Carsten - Website

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Fred

I don´t do this all too often, but these portraits are perfect, old school craftsmanship - on point ! Love the style - and you are right - this model definitely helps! ;-))))

Greetings from Munich
    Stefan

Jeff asked me this in a PM, but I thought I would answer here
    as it is relevant to technical cameras...

Here I just shifted the lens up so as to compensate for the camera pointing up towards the model. It made the proportion of the shoulders and head more natural.
    The head is made a wee bit larger and less "distant" giving the image a bit more of the look of a shorter focal length despite being shot with a 250mm.

In this image I shifted the lens up. but also used tilted the lens down just a little and swing (horizontal tilt) slightly to the right.

The shift was to compensate for the lowish angle. The tilt and swing was for put the focus just where I wanted it. On the eyes (both)
    and down the neck to the texture on the dress.... but the real magic is Dawn's beauty.....

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This is the real thing:

8x10 digital sensor

Thanks for the post.

I was able to trace an original article on this (there is some more information there): http://www.aphotoeditor.com/2011/08/...-capture-back/

Looks like a monochrome CCD made for X-ray imaging with very large pixels is used.

Awesome, successful photog as well!

Post Thanks / Like

beside the model, the composition, the angle and focus, one must also say that the light is just beautiful.

Bravo.

Thierry

Thierry Hagenauer
    [email protected]

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

that 8" x 10" back is 10 mp resolution, close to an M8; must be giant sensor cells and it cost as much as a small house to develop. As far as i can tell it is for previewing and a direct digital substitute for previewing with 8x10 polaroid, then the final shot would be 8x10 film.

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jlm View Post
    that 8" x 10" back is 10 mp resolution, close to an M8; must be giant sensor cells and it cost as much as a small house to develop. As far as i can tell it is for previewing and a direct digital substitute for previewing with 8x10 polaroid, then the final shot would be 8x10 film.
    You can see how it could pay for itself in film costs alone eventually for someone like this. One set up, as many proofs as you need and then shoot the money shot and hopefully extract a premium for it being on traditional media.

Aside that, it is cool technology too.
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jlm View Post
    Yes it produces a 10MP file which he uses as an onscreen polaroid then shoots the final film. The image quality on screen is nice, he also has it color managed to match Velvia.

Lance
    LANCE SCHAD - Digital Transitions - Phase One,Mamiya | Leaf,Arca-Swiss,Cambo, Profoto
    direct/cell:610-496-5586 office:877-367-8537x224
    http://www.digitaltransitions.com email:[email protected]

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Whatever Fred uses, his images are amazing period.
    Irving Penn and Richard Avedon I'm sure would agree if they were still around.
    Steven Kornreich
    www.kuau.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Fred - great photography - thanks for posting.

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the complements.
    Means a lot coming from this knowledgeable crowd!

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Fred: +1 on the great shots. Super work and great camera craft to achieve them too.
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Post Thanks / Like

@FredBGG

Simply stunning portraiture!
    Last edited by KeithL; 17th December 2011 at 08:06.

Subscriber and Workshop Member MGrayson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

OK, I am impressed! In almost every other photography forum on the internet, we lament the art of photography being overwhelmed by discussions of gear. Here, in a thread devoted not just to gear, but to PICTURES of gear, we find the discussion degenerating into.... appreciation of the art of photography!

I love this site, and a big +1 to you, FredBGG!

Matt

Post Thanks / Like

Stunning portrature, FredBGG!