The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Show us your Tech Cam

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Unfortunately the color of some rose wood grips is a bit faded . But it is a natural material and every grip is unique .
I don't know that it's faded. My rosewood grip looks identical to yours - that said, if I recall correctly our STC cameras are sequential serial numbers although the grips are a separate item. Maybe Alpa just changed their rosewood finish these days? Either way, they are still really nice to handle and use!

M

Marty

Another cheap single-grip option, without even the shifty bits. But rosewood. :)

Thierry

Jürgen,

Just to give some details on the Alpa Rosewood grips:

They are not faded. Wood is a natural product, as you mentioned it, and as such not identical to each other.

Alpa cameras are not cameras produced in mass-series, with cheap materials. The wood grips are for instance polished without any tracks of machining, finely polished and finished, until being perfect. That finish can be felt when one takes such a grip in the hands, as well how it holds in the hand. These grips have made their proves since over 15 years, when they were first produced.

There are for instance 2 Swiss manufacturers for the grips, for the ALPA 12 WA / ALPA 12 SWA and for the ALPA 12 TC / ALPA 12 STC / ALPA 12 MAX. They are using the wood from the same batch, even from the very same three.

We are even making sure that those threes are coming from a 100% ecological production.

Obviously, the colors can and do differ from one camera to another. But that makes also each Alpa camera unique.

And on a side note, Alpa has also produced some grips with other wood sorts, like beech, oak and ebony, as well as with special materials, for special customer orders.

Thierry

Unfortunately the color of some rose wood grips is a bit faded . But it is a natural material and every grip is unique .

jlm

Workshop Member
out of curiosity, aren't there only two conductors needed in the cable between the shutter and the back? doesn't the bulk seem excessive? and the extra connectors?

is this what Guy was tweaking?

stephengilbert

I think you're right John: the cable connects a "PC" plug at the shutter end to what appears to be a Phase multi-pin plug at the other. Most of the cables we see in the pix have an extra mini-plug (male and female), which some claim avoids the need to plug and unplug the back directly and thus avoids wear and tear on the back itself. The Phase cable I have is less than 3mm OD (see http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showpost.php?p=349266&postcount=30); the Paramount cables about 3.5mm.

If someone could find a source of Phase multi-pin plugs, better cables would be easy to produce (though not by me).

lance_schad

Workshop Member
out of curiosity, aren't there only two conductors needed in the cable between the shutter and the back? doesn't the bulk seem excessive? and the extra connectors?

is this what Guy was tweaking?
On the V-Series mounts there is a mini-jack connector built into the adapter plate allowing you to plug a short mini-pc cable or wake up cable right into the back without the multi-connetor to mini adapter.

See image below. I wish they would include this little mini jack on all versions of the back.

I did reach out to the Phase One Hardware Product Manager inquiring about them updating their cable offerings. Since the Phase One cables that are available are designed for View Cameras (very long!) not the more popular solutions from Arca/ALPA/Cambo. He said that it is not something we get a lot of requests for, but he has noted the request and will investigate further possibly in the future. He said thats you can use Zero Latency now on the newer backs....

Its funny when we had to use two-shot we always yearned for a single shot solution, now we have a single shot solution , we are not 100% satisfied with it and want to use two-shot because of battery life, etc.

Lance

cly

Little update to my tech cam. Jack bought this very cool Ebony clip shade for me from Stephan Gilbert here on the forum and thought I would share.
Thanks for sharing, Guy! Could you comment on the way you can adjust/position this arm? Is is just up and down and a rotation at this socket or are there any movements in the arm itself?

Chris

PS: I looked closely at the images of your new tech cam but I can't see a cube at it's bottom. :confused:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
You won't see a cube at the bottom. The cube is gorgeous but it is also very slowing in other areas for me like fashion and people they just don't work as well there as a ballhead. I actually use a Arca Swiss Z1 double pan ballhead. Its like a rock too.

At the hot shoe there is a ball socket just can't see the lever in the shots sorry but that you loosen and move to your position and its pretty flexible. Also folds pretty nice in your bag too

kuau

Workshop Member
As usual I am the oddball out. :D
Here is my "baby" Artec
Now just waiting to replace my RRS BH with a Arca Swiss D4 geared if they ever show up
Steven

jotloob

Subscriber Member
. . . . . . .
Now just waiting to replace my RRS BH with a Arca Swiss D4 geared if they ever show up
Steven
Steven

You are not the only one waiting for the D4 geared .
Mine is on order since beginning of July and delivery time seems to be open end .
Has anyone already received a D4 geared ? ? ?

Ben Rubinstein

Little update to my tech cam. Jack bought this very cool Ebony clip shade for me from Stephan Gilbert here on the forum and thought I would share . i use my color checker for the shade since i carry it anyway . Works a charm. Shown with the Rodenstock 32mm on the Cambo

Here is a link to the unit

https://www.badgergraphic.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=1613

Shot with my iPhone.
I'm not sure that until I saw the colorchecker next to it I realised just how small these setups are!

stephengilbert

"I'm not sure that until I saw the colorchecker next to it I realised just how small these setups are!"

Right: that little plastic thingy hanging below the camera (the LCC card) is 4 by 5 inches.