Site Sponsors
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Show us your Tech Cam

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Show us your Tech Cam

The only down side of the Cube is its weight. If I were only working 100m from a car, I would consider one. But if I have to hike with my gear on my back, the weight is not worth it. Take care of the ounces, the pounds will take care of themselves.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks, guys, lots to chew on. I'll do some more reading, maybe see about renting, and perhaps spend some time with Doug for an in-person walk through here in NYC (my home base).

One last thought.... Are you aware of any workshops dedicated to learning and using tech cams? Might be helpful to folks like me.

Thanks again!
    Will

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by WWLEE View Post
    Thanks, guys, lots to chew on. I'll do some more reading, maybe see about renting, and perhaps spend some time with Doug for an in-person walk through here in NYC (my home base).

One last thought.... Are you aware of any workshops dedicated to learning and using tech cams? Might be helpful to folks like me.

Thanks again!
    Have you ever been shooting large format , like 4x5 or 5x7 or even 8x10 ?
    Shootig with a technical camera , digital or film , is very much like shooting LF . The gear is not as heavy and bulky , but it is all like back to the roots of photography , gives you enough time to compose and think about aperture , distance and shutter speed and to think about what the hell is going on in this wonderful and also crazy world .
    Regards . Jürgen .
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WWLEE View Post
    One last thought.... Are you aware of any workshops dedicated to learning and using tech cams? Might be helpful to folks like me....
    Drop a note to Jack Flesher or Guy Mancuso, your hosts here at GetDPI offer photography workshops. Workshops/seminars are a good opportunity to try out equipment and see what works for you.

ken

Post Thanks / Like

Photo with 3 tilt/shift adapters. People have been asking how this is done, hope this photo helps

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jotloob View Post
    Shootig with a technical camera , digital or film , is very much like shooting LF
    ...and with digital you don't get to view your image upside down while nearly suffocating under a "dark cloth" in heat and humidity (or chasing it after the wind grabs it). And you don't have to bring along a Polaroid film holder and film if you want to get an idea of the image before processing the film. And you don't have to clean and load sheet film holders, and keep them out of direct sun, and not above room temperature, and not freezing... and other nifty things. But on the other hand, you do get to worry about batteries, charging, memory cards and sync cords.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by shortpballer View Post
    Photo with 3 tilt/shift adapters. People have been asking how this is done, hope this photo helps

Now
    Eric , can you please tell me , how you focus when using one , two or even three T/S adapters ? ? ?
    Regards . Jürgen .
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post Thanks / Like

This on the other hand is a secret I have a good understanding of my camera and tilt adapters. So I know the limits on all my lenses, how much each can be tilted and what kind of tilt it will give at what distance. I shoot tethered always if that helps!

Now
    Eric , can you please tell me , how you focus when using one , two or even three T/S adapters ? ? ?

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Have you ever been shooting large format , like 4x5 or 5x7 or even 8x10 ?
    Shooting with a technical camera , digital or film , is very much like shooting LF .
    Quote Originally Posted by schuster View Post
    ...and with digital you don't get to view your image upside down while nearly suffocating under a "dark cloth" in heat and humidity (or chasing it after the wind grabs it). And you don't have to bring along a Polaroid film holder and film if you want to get an idea of the image before processing the film. And you don't have to clean and load sheet film holders, and keep them out of direct sun, and not above room temperature, and not freezing... and other nifty things. But on the other hand, you do get to worry about batteries, charging, memory cards and sync cords.
    Btw, you left out Lens Cast Correction white cards, LCC post processing, red centre spots (my new 23HR's contribution if you aren't careful with your lens hood!), zero latency or standard latency digital back trigger modes, and lastly calibration of your back to your tech camera body or adjustment offset factor if you using an Arca. However, other than all of that .... it's simple

However, the reality is that once you have a process then it's no more daunting than driving, steering, braking and shifting a manual gearbox car. A seemingly confusing and difficult set of tasks when you first start and then ultimately unconscious autonomous actions once you've got accustomed to it and ingrained the required muscle memory.
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This on the other hand is a secret I have a good understanding of my camera and tilt adapters. So I know the limits on all my lenses, how much each can be tilted and what kind of tilt it will give at what distance. I shoot tethered always if that helps!

OK. I understand , to shoot tethered is probabely the best way .
    But how can you properly focus , when you have no chance for tethered mode .

I have put up this question in an other thread but Graham Welland was the only one who described his way of focusing .
    A trial and error approach can not really be the solution .
    Using the GG method like in LF shooting is no soution either .
    All that kept me away from buying a T/S adapter so far .

So , here again , how do user of Tech Cams focus when working with TILT and/or SHIFT ? ? ? and not tethered ? ? ?
    Regards . Jürgen .

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Oh, I forgot the mother of all color film insanity ... reciprocity failure compensation ... and throw in a little bellows extension factor just for fun.

My six-speed gearbox is another planet in comparison, even while eating an ice cream cone.

Post Thanks / Like

I have shot handheld not tethered - this is much easier the wider the lens you use. The tilt/shift if used properly can actually help keep everything in focus and allow for less error in focussing.
    For example in this photo I knew I wanted the bread in focus along with the baker, but main focus along the bread. I dropped the lens a couple degrees knowing that this will give me a focal plane that goes from the bread to the baker. Instead of having a plane of focus (without tilt/shift) perpendicular to the camera, I am now able to bring my focus plane to something more flat (covering a larger distance of things in focus on the plane of focus, but then losing focus on things above and below the focal plane), then it is just being comfortable with your lens to know how the change in focus distance will move the plane of focus.

Alpa Max handheld (not tethered, shot wide open)
    32HR
    17mm T/S
    P65+
    Profoto Lighting

OK. I understand , to shoot tethered is probabely the best way .
    But how can you properly focus , when you have no chance for tethered mode .

I have put up this question in an other thread but Graham Welland was the only one who described his way of focusing .
    A trial and error approach can not really be the solution .
    Using the GG method like in LF shooting is no soution either .
    All that kept me away from buying a T/S adapter so far .

So , here again , how do user of Tech Cams focus when working with TILT and/or SHIFT ? ? ? and not tethered ? ? ?
    Last edited by shortpballer; 20th February 2013 at 02:19.

Post Thanks / Like

Handheld Max with tilt...stunning!!!
    Leica | Angenieux | Alpa | Hasselblad | Phase One
    www.raymondchak.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Getdpi, I found a new toy here

www.raymondchak.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

All hail to the new king, err Max ...

Very nice. I miss mine. It's a great camera, especially with the shift adapter on it. Btw, if you don't have one yet, you might want to consider getting one of the Alpa shift indicator sticks. Very useful when you are doing rise/fall as the indications are on the front and this will show you at the top of the camera as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rayyen View Post
    Thanks Getdpi, I found a new toy here

I can not see your STC .
    Regards . Jürgen .

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Graham :-) I have the stick too the seller very kind and give me the stick and the stitch adaptor for free :-) wish I can test this baby soon :-)
    www.raymondchak.com

Post Thanks / Like

I have shot handheld not tethered - this is much easier the wider the lens you use. The tilt/shift if used properly can actually help keep everything in focus and allow for less error in focussing.
    For example in this photo I knew I wanted the bread in focus along with the baker, but main focus along the bread. I dropped the lens a couple degrees knowing that this will give me a focal plane that goes from the bread to the baker. Instead of having a plane of focus (without tilt/shift) perpendicular to the camera, I am now able to bring my focus plane to something more flat (covering a larger distance of things in focus on the plane of focus, but then losing focus on things above and below the focal plane), then it is just being comfortable with your lens to know how the change in focus distance will move the plane of focus.

Alpa Max handheld (not tethered, shot wide open)
    32HR
    17mm T/S
    P65+
    Profoto Lighting
    Respect for you doing this shot with a tech camera - a Max no less - but my question would be more one of why?

I

Post Thanks / Like

Why? Because I am the kind of artist that wants the very best result every single time. Never would I choose to shoot a D800 just because it may be easier. I would always prefer that I have just a couple or even one amazing photo, than a couple hundred OK photos. I chose to switch over to Alpa for my product work, and I have chosen to adapt my style around it. I was scared at first that I would come home from the shoot and I would have only a few photos in focus. However, when I got home I was surprised to see that more than half the photos were well in focus. The photo I posted was one of the photos not chosen, the others that were chosen were of much better quality!

Photography is a feeling: autofocus, and all other electronic aid just takes away that feeling.

I will be returning to fashion soon and will be posting some photos taken with the max and 90HR handheld We will see how that goes...

Ps: Its always a plus to have everyone tell me that my camera is the sexiest camera they have ever seen

Quote Originally Posted by gazwas View Post
    Respect for you doing this shot with a tech camera - a Max no less - but my question would be more one of why?

I

Post Thanks / Like

Thought you might like to see my new toy that arrived today. She is a cutie! Cambo WRS 1250. I'm just loving the Pallisander (Rosewood) handles (which are actually a little darker than they look here). In case you are wondering, I'm using a Manfrotto L-Bracket to enable speedy landscape to portrait changes. All on quick releases so it looks a bit crazy. I also use the L-bracket with an AFD for Panoramas so that's adding to the mayhem.

Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Because there are just not enough Arcas in this thread..... sporting a new hood and legs!

Post Thanks / Like

Nice Gareth! How do you find the hood in the wind? Have thought about the Arca but they are pretty rare over here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

[QUOTE=gazwas;494268]Because there are just not enough Arcas in this thread..... sporting a new hood and legs!

gareth, you are right - not enough arcas in here ;-)
    wich compendium is that?
    lee's or arca's

i do have the compendium 6x9 but miss the ability to attach my lee graduated filter.
    but i fixed mine to make it slide over the groundglass to get a little sunshade when i'm to lazy to get the dark cloth out

www.thomasebruster.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hmmmmmmm . . . . nice , very nice Great idea .
    That awakes the technician in me again .
    Regards . Jürgen .

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Why ? ? ?

Because I intend to shoot some film (6x7+ 6x9) with my ALPA again and therefore would like to use the groundglas as well .
    Regards . Jürgen .

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This could be a solution .

Attachment 69893

Imagine the back removed and replaced by the GG adapter .
    Now remove the rod with the bellows holder and mount it from the rear .
    The bellow will then work as GG shade . Versatile .
    Regards . Jürgen .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Osbourne View Post
    Nice Gareth! How do you find the hood in the wind? Have thought about the Arca but they are pretty rare over here.
    Hey Richard, your new camera is looking FINE and I'm loving the big wooden handles - items that puzzle us Arca shooters?

The hood attaches very securely to the lens adapter and while I've not been out in gale force winds (who does?) during some blustery cold winds this week in Wales, all has been rosy and I'm very, very pleased with the hood. Gives excellent lens shading due to its vey wide design so even large movements are ok and still have plenty of hood over the lens. Also, the fact it is self supporting means you can get the hood into some great angles for those difficult shots.

I'm not a fan of the traditional compendium shades Arca offer so can't recommend the Lee shade enough. The additional benefit is that it also doubles as a single or double slot filter holder and as we all know Lee make the best photographic filters out there.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by photomgraphy View Post
    wich compendium is that?
    lee's or arca's
    Its the Lee wide angle lens hood.

It is a large lens hood as you can see in the pictures below but it's very light weight and can be compressed quite flat. Not something you'd store in your pocket though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Fits in the Lee case in my Barbour jacket or Domke photo vest just fine

I can't recommend the wide hood enough. It works well on the 23HR (mandatory) and all of my other wides. I have the stackable version (no slots) but it doesn't vignette even on the front of a std lee holder with wide angle recessed ring. I just ordered the slotted version now too - thanks for the camera porn!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    I just ordered the slotted version now too - thanks for the camera porn!

And I might add, IMO its a bargain considering its quality.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Btw, if you're in the US Unique Photo actually have stock. I normally rely on 2Filter.com, Badger or B&H but this time Unique had LEE in stock worth a try if you're looking.

Post Thanks / Like

Gareth, that's really helpful. I regularly have to use my hands to shade the lens...not to mention hold filters in front of the lens because the 24XL vignettes with anything in front of it! So this could be a really useful addition.

Is it easy to get on and off? I'm wondering about changing lenses and how that works.

BTW, the wood handles on the Cambo are just beautifully tactile - easy to get in and out of the camera bag and feel very secure when putting it on the tripod too. Feeeel it!

Post Thanks / Like

I am a user of the Lee wide angle hood as well. It is a very useful tool! And is a great price for the quality of build. The hood is very easy to get on and off, you just slip it through the first slot on your lee filter holder.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Osbourne View Post
    Gareth, that's really helpful. I regularly have to use my hands to shade the lens...not to mention hold filters in front of the lens because the 24XL vignettes with anything in front of it! So this could be a really useful addition.

Is it easy to get on and off? I'm wondering about changing lenses and how that works.

BTW, the wood handles on the Cambo are just beautifully tactile - easy to get in and out of the camera bag and feel very secure when putting it on the tripod too. Feeeel it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

There are two versions of the LEE wide angle hood btw.

The version I currently use has no filter slots but does come with the mount clip to connect to a LEE ring screwed on to the lens. It also has a pair of guides that can slip into the filter slots on a standard 2 slot filter holder so that you fit the shade and a filter.

I just ordered the other version that Richard/Gareth show which has the filter slots built in (no 2nd adapter required). This looks like it will mount slightly closer than the adapter/hood combo when using filters plus you can use 2 vs 1 - you can use filter holders with more slots but you're rapidly in danger of encroaching into the frame on a super wide like a 23-28 or even 32mm lens.

As mentioned, build quality is great and it folds almost flat and fits in a robust case that is easy to store in a wide pocket of your bag or laptop slot etc.

If you use the LEE system it's a no brainer IMHO. Make sure that use the wide angle version of the lens adapter rings. I leave a LEE ring on all of my glass and use the white LEE clip on lens caps instead of all those fiddly different fall off SK & Rodie plastic caps.

Post Thanks / Like

Alpa FPS • MAX • TC | Alpagon 32Hr | Helvetar 75 | Schneider 120N | Leaf Aptus II 5 • Leaf Credo 60 | www.danlindberg.com
    Likes 11 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

My new landscape companion ; )
    www.raymondchak.com

Post Thanks / Like

Gareth - Wow an RM3d in the UK very nice, a rare bird over here. Did you get it via a UK dealer? I am awaiting a quote from Robert White but I think it may be a bit top end for me.
    It will be interesting to see how it stacks up cost wise against the Techno I have an eye on.
    Chris

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Here's my current setup. Nothing much has changed over the years other than a new lens, RRS quick release, Cambo Hood and of course the Cambo groundglass/loupe.

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Beards View Post
    Gareth - Wow an RM3d in the UK very nice, a rare bird over here. Did you get it via a UK dealer? I am awaiting a quote from Robert White but I think it may be a bit top end for me.
    It will be interesting to see how it stacks up cost wise against the Techno I have an eye on.
    Chris
    Chris - Peartree Photo also stock Arca in the UK and (shock, horror) actually have all their prices listed on their website - thus avoiding the annoying 'call for price' tag.

Personally, I use a Techno - couldn't be happier - fantastic camera - very flexible - perfect for digital - Paula at Linhof and Studio is great to deal with, I'd try and arrange to demo one.

Jim

Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Beards View Post
    Chris
    Hi Chris, sorry I missed your post.

There must be more Arca owners in the UK than just me...

I bought my ML2 from Jon at Robert White and they were great. The Techno is more like the M-Line Two than the R cameras so it all depends on how you like to shoot.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by f8orbust View Post
    Chris - Peartree Photo also stock Arca in the UK and (shock, horror) actually have all their prices listed on their website - thus avoiding the annoying 'call for price' tag.

Personally, I use a Techno - couldn't be happier - fantastic camera - very flexible - perfect for digital - Paula at Linhof and Studio is great to deal with, I'd try and arrange to demo one.

Jim

Jim
    +1 on the Linhof Techno and Paula. I absolutely love mine. I initially thought of getting the Alpa STC but in the end it just didn't make sense for me. As with Arca R mounts, the lenses are expensive and because I mainly shoot 6x7 film I preferred standard lens panels and straight gg focusing. Couldn't be happier!

Post Thanks / Like

A bit of fun for the end the of the week...

Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

LOL, careful it doesn't tip, Gerald.

Congratulations on getting the FPS! You're obviously having lots of fun with it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Congratulations to Gerald for the FPS too. That is the most solid camera body I have ever held - I recently had a chance to demo the FPS and it is fantastically well made and seems to be built to last a lifetime. It might look a bit strange due to all of the integration options but functionally it seems to do exactly what is says on the box.

FPS & MAX - hubba hubba!

Post Thanks / Like

Can't wait to see some pics from that Max and FPS rig, and to hear about your experiences in due course. Is that a Lynx "assisting" with the boxes?!

Henry

Post Thanks / Like

I had another good look at the Linhof Techno at the Focus show in the UK last week and following months of deliberations and research anguish finally ordered one.
    I am still awaiting quotes on an Rm3d from two dealers but it seems to be such a protracted process getting a reply from Arca Swiss that I have just about given up on that route. I have used 5x4 view cameras for many years and like the traditional working method of the Techno.
    Gareth & Paul I just picked up your posts sorry I didn't reply sooner.
    Yes, Paula at Linhof Studio UK provides the superb level of service that one would expect with such a large investment.

Post Thanks / Like

An interesting viewfinder for my ALPA system
    www.raymondchak.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This seems to be the Jae Moon holder . As i am Not really satisfied with the ALPA
    Holder I am thinking of how i can integrate this one with my bellows shade system .
    Regards . Jürgen .

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Gerald,
    I was interested in seeing your Alpa connected to a technical camera and a Roundshot.
    Does anyone know if this is possible with a Hasselblad H4D50. It occurs to me that a Roundshot and a tech camera plus a digital back is the best of all worlds for a panorama

Stanley

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Stanley -

Ideally if you're hooking something up to the VR Drive 2, you want the VR Drive to be able to control the picture taking. Hence, you really need an FPS or Hartblei HCam.

Having to manually cock and release a shutter for large panoramas is a bit of a pain!

Kind regards,

Gerald.

Quote Originally Posted by stngoldberg View Post
    Hi Gerald,
    I was interested in seeing your Alpa connected to a technical camera and a Roundshot.
    Does anyone know if this is possible with a Hasselblad H4D50. It occurs to me that a Roundshot and a tech camera plus a digital back is the best of all worlds for a panorama

Stanley