Site Sponsors
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Show us your Tech Cam

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Show us your Tech Cam

More cold conditions for Alpa/Leaf...

Alpa FPS • MAX • TC | Alpagon 32Hr | Helvetar 75 | Schneider 120N | Leaf Aptus II 5 • Leaf Credo 60 | www.danlindberg.com
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by gerald.d View Post
    A bit of fun for the end the of the week...

Thank you Gerald,

Stanley

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by danlindberg View Post
    More cold conditions for Alpa/Leaf...

Dan,

How do you like the frame viewfinder with the Alpa? I've thought about getting one myself as an alternative to my optical viewfinder. Do you find it at all accurate or just a good general guideline for composition?
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    Dan,

How do you like the frame viewfinder with the Alpa? I've thought about getting one myself as an alternative to my optical viewfinder. Do you find it at all accurate or just a good general guideline for composition?
    I can honestly say that I love it! I only have the one for SK 72L and it is surprisingly accurate. Weighs nothing, folds away and still feels sturdy. I have not used the optical finder at all since I got this.

I even use it for my wides, using it for lining up a rooftop for instance in the distance and knowing where the centre in the image is. Works really well for me. How wide it goes outside of the frame you learn pretty quickly.

If I had to choose between the optical and the 'sports' finder, I take the latter in a heartbeat.
    Alpa FPS • MAX • TC | Alpagon 32Hr | Helvetar 75 | Schneider 120N | Leaf Aptus II 5 • Leaf Credo 60 | www.danlindberg.com
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stngoldberg View Post
    Thank you Gerald,

Stanley
    It's a pleasure.

I've got the 210mm Schneider arriving this week (it's actually sat with customs right now) and cannot wait to do some really detailed pano work with it.

Watch this space

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I just got one of these also - very fine, impressive construction. Using it on my Rodenstock 32mm on ARCA. Have you used this with your wide angle lenses and found it helpful in reducing flare & reduced color saturation?

Post Thanks / Like

New lens

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, it feels like that lens can drop of that Alpa mount at any moment. Very impressive though!!

Post Thanks / Like

Gerald, it really looks like business!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aviv1887 View Post
    Wow, it feels like that lens can drop of that Alpa mount at any moment. Very impressive though!!
    The lens is, of course, very front-heavy, but it feels totally stable and secure on an ALPA camera.

I'm really looking forward to trying this combo out on the Seitz VR Drive 2 for panos

Post Thanks / Like

Took me while, but finally worked out how to mount the FPS on the Max vertically. It's not as easy as you might think!

Need this for a shot this afternoon where I want around 20mm of fall on the back, but shooting in portrait (single row panorama). I could maybe get away shooting with just the Max in this instance I guess, but I like being able to set the delayed shutter on the FPS so that everything is totally steady when it fires.
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

There are Alpas and then there are Gerald's ALPAs!!

That's one heck of an outfit. It looks like it would have some play in the mount but we all know that with the Alpa it's all absolutely solid. Rock solid.
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Post Thanks / Like

Took me while, but finally worked out how to mount the FPS on the Max vertically. It's not as easy as you might think!
    May I know what brand/model base rail pictured, please?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That doesn't look like one of theirs, but Really Right Stuff has several rails: Really Right Stuff - Item Listing

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by BJNY View Post
    May I know what brand/model base rail pictured, please?
    Hi Gerald
    Looks great, fantastic machine. I has a similar question, on the rail, what is the silver colored stop? Looks better than the RRS ones, which I have broken the plastic knob, more than once.

Thanks
    Phil

Post Thanks / Like

Hi guys - the rail is the one that comes with the VR Drive. It's not branded, but I suspect it might be a Novoflex since the other rail that I got with my VR Drive is a Novoflex (it's blue though) and has the same stop.

Regards,

Gerald.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi guys - the rail is the one that comes with the VR Drive. It's not branded, but I suspect it might be a Novoflex since the other rail that I got with my VR Drive is a Novoflex (it's blue though) and has the same stop.

Regards,

Gerald.
    Thanks Gerald,

I will check, I looked on the Novoflex web site I don't see it listed. Novoflex BTW makes really good ball heads (classic 3 and 5) , I put them in same league as RRS - I have both. I use all RRS stuff clamps and plates - they fit well with Novoflex. But Novoflex plates do not work well with RRS. Also blue is cool

Really neat set up, - I am jealous, the FPS set up seems really versatile and a lot of fun.

Hope Cambo noticed it

Thanks again for quick reply
    Phil

Post Thanks / Like

Nothing can drop off the Alpa mounts

Quote Originally Posted by Aviv1887 View Post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

All the little Arca bits I have been waiting for...

Pics of all the new Arca bits that some of you may be interesting in seeing. Sorry about some blur...hand held while baby-sitting.

1. Factum Grip
    2. Rm3Di Grip extension
    3. Cold Shoe - I use it for mounting a wireless trigger
    4. Factum adapter for eModule Cloud
    5. Factum with eModule Cloud
    6. Rm3Di with eModule Cloud
    7. Rotaslide w/groundglass
    8. FINALLY - body cap - I would have loved to see Martin mill a nice solid piece with Arca-Swiss engraved in it, but I'm sure it would have been $1200 bucks!! Leave that to our Alpa friends (sorry, couldn't resist)....this was one 60 bucks and fits quite nicely. Now I can leave my back on the body.

Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Shooting trees

Ed Cooley Fine Art Photography

Likes 8 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: All the little Arca bits I have been waiting for...

Quote Originally Posted by jagsiva View Post
    Pics of all the new Arca bits that some of you may be interesting in seeing.
    Congratulation !!! I am drooling. Would like to hear from you how eModule performs. Can eModule swing up/down independently from camera body? How many turns does the focus adjustment ring have from infinity to let say 1 meter away? Etc., etc. I am wondering if they are calculating the distance based on the angular rotation of VF focus ring (the reverse of helical focus ring of camera).

Jae Moon
    Last edited by Jae_Moon; 28th March 2013 at 21:07.

Post Thanks / Like

8. FINALLY - body cap - I would have loved to see Martin mill a nice solid piece with Arca-Swiss engraved in it, but I'm sure it would have been $1200 bucks!! Leave that to our Alpa friends (sorry, couldn't resist)....this was one 60 bucks and fits quite nicely. Now I can leave my back on the body.
    Congratulations! As a longtime Arca user (4x5/6x9 film and ML2), I am sure you will enjoy your new toy -- does look a bit like a robot!

PS: I went with an ALPA Max for my digital pancake and their body cap only cost me $40 and I received it here in the US in one week.
    "Creativity takes courage." ~ Henri Matisse
    Darlene Almeda, photoscapes.com

Post Thanks / Like

Pics of all the new Arca bits that some of you may be interesting in seeing. Sorry about some blur...hand held while baby-sitting.

1. Factum Grip
    2. Rm3Di Grip extension
    3. Cold Shoe - I use it for mounting a wireless trigger
    4. Factum adapter for eModule Cloud
    5. Factum with eModule Cloud
    6. Rm3Di with eModule Cloud
    7. Rotaslide w/groundglass
    Congrats on the good looking factum thing !
    How does it feel in your hands, have you tried to shoot handheld with a digi back mounted ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jae_Moon View Post
    Congratulation !!! I am drooling. Would like to hear from you how eModule performs. Can eModule swing up/down independently from camera body? How many turns does the focus adjustment ring have from infinity to let say 1 meter away? Etc., etc. I am wondering if they are calculating the distance based on the angular rotation of VF focus ring (the reverse of helical focus ring of camera).

Jae Moon
    Jae, not sure how they are calculating the distance, but I can tell you that it is bang on. The lens on it like and f.4 or something with a substantial amount of magnification. The image just snaps into focus and you know you are there. So setting up for near-point, far-point is very easy.

The module does not swing up or down, but can be removed and still be used as it is tethered via an RJ9 cable. So the connection to the helical is still maintained. I would think it taking it off the plane of the sensor will affect performance though, will do some research on it.

Will get back to you on number of turns etc. in a couple of days. Off with the family for Easter.

Bottom line for me is that using the OVF to focus is easier than any OVF I have used, and the corresponding setting for the helical is extremely accurate. Martin has also built in specific lens behaviour such as focus shifts into the EMC. The charts are archaic by comparison.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by darr View Post
    Congratulations! As a longtime Arca user (4x5/6x9 film and ML2), I am sure you will enjoy your new toy -- does look a bit like a robot!

PS: I went with an ALPA Max for my digital pancake and their body cap only cost me $40 and I received it here in the US in one week.
    Darr, I have had the camera for a while and while I loved it, the add on bits, expand its usage quite a bit for me. Problem was it took some time get everything.

On the cap, clearly you did not get the Apla Deluxe one to match the gold plated shutter release
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Frederic View Post
    Congrats on the good looking factum thing !
    How does it feel in your hands, have you tried to shoot handheld with a digi back mounted ?
    Yes I have, and that was my main reason for getting it. I was a little dissapointed that Martin had not built in some kind of feed for the relase on to the grip, but I understand he is working on something.

The Factum and grip are so small that you are basically just concerned about the lens and back weight. Bonus is that now you can rise/fall, holding the camera vertical for any arch/landscape shots. This makes a great walkabout setup for cityscapes and landscapes for me.

I waiting for my IQ260 Achromatic back with a base ISO of 200, and i think that will add another level of hand-held use scenarios for me.

Post Thanks / Like

I have an Easter Exhibition at a beachside hotel in south of Sweden right now. I also have on display my tech cam and OMG it creates interest The art is secondary

Oh well, I sold 2 yesterday and 2 today so far.
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Can I trust my eyes ? ?

Dan , do I see an ALPA FPS attached ?
    If its true , congratulation .
    Regards . Jόrgen .
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

And show us a picture with some of your exhibition images .
    Regards . Jόrgen .
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jotloob View Post
    Can I trust my eyes ? ?

Not just an FPS either - unless my eyes are deceiving me, that's one of the Schneider Tilt-Shifts

/edit.

Having given it some thought, my money's on it being the Canon mount 90mm. The Mamiya mount 120mm would be unlikely, since I can't see the 11mm adapter on the FPS, and the Mamiya mount isn't shipping until next week

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jotloob View Post
    Can I trust my eyes ? ?

YES! An FPS has arrived on swedish ground. A remarkable machine. I have only shot a few exposures but already it feels familiar in my hands. Before I thought the sound of the Leica M9 shutter was sexy, well, FPS shutter sound is.....even more so. A trivial point but it is the sum of all small details that make anything desirable. And the FPS is very desirable

As you can understand, in the near future there will be a lot of experimenting of possibilities to use it as a standalone body and also as a shutter module to the traditional Alpa bodies.

One of the lenses I am eager to try out is my newly bought Distagon CFE 4/40 IF in mint condition. I can use it with simultanous shift/tilt. I will post my findings how it holds up with a Credo 60 back

The exhibition is of a series not very 'traditional photography' artworks. They are however commercially good and bread & butter projects. Conceptual photography that inspires to choose more than one piece - finding a number with symbolic value for the buyer. Works in both modern, minimalistic or rustic interiors.

They are quite large, 1x1 metre. I attach my information canvas even if it is in swedish....

What's your favorite number...?

Post Thanks / Like

Not just an FPS either - unless my eyes are deceiving me, that's one of the Schneider Tilt-Shifts

/edit.

Having given it some thought, my money's on it being the Canon mount 90mm. The Mamiya mount 120mm would be unlikely, since I can't see the 11mm adapter on the FPS, and the Mamiya mount isn't shipping until next week
    Yes, Schneider PC TS 4.5/90 but in Nikon mount. I also have the traditional Schneider 4.5/90 tech lens to compare the two! They are supposed to be exactly the same optical formula so this will be interesting. One of them is going back and one stays. Which will it be?

Post Thanks / Like

Ooh. Interesting you went for the Nikon mount Dan - I never really considered it because I was looking primarily to use the Canon 17 and 24 TS-E's.

Would be very interested in your reasoning for going for the Nikon.

Kind regards,

Gerald.

Post Thanks / Like

Ooh. Interesting you went for the Nikon mount Dan - I never really considered it because I was looking primarily to use the Canon 17 and 24 TS-E's.

Would be very interested in your reasoning for going for the Nikon.

Kind regards,

Gerald.
    Well, the thing is that my heart tick for tech lenses. The HPF is really so precise that I have a hard time thinking 'not' having it. Tremendous quality in a small and light package. I love the precise mechanical feel and focus resistance. In my mind I like this better from square one.
    The only advantage I can see with the PC lens is simultanous tilt/shift. This is ofcourse a factor sometimes, but most of the time I only use one or the other and can live with that limitation.

So, the PC is more of a test rather than a thoughtful plan (Nikon mount). Maybe it surprises me, maybe it inspires - but it must be an amazing lens if it is going to win me over from 'true' tech lenses. But the concept is interesting and I want to learn new ways of working and what could be better than an FPS? Mindblowing machine!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jae, not sure how they are calculating the distance, but I can tell you that it is bang on. The lens on it like and f.4 or something with a substantial amount of magnification. The image just snaps into focus and you know you are there. So setting up for near-point, far-point is very easy.

Will get back to you on number of turns etc. in a couple of days. Off with the family for Easter.

Bottom line for me is that using the OVF to focus is easier than any OVF I have used, and the corresponding setting for the helical is extremely accurate. Martin has also built in specific lens behaviour such as focus shifts into the EMC. The charts are archaic by comparison.

Did you have a chance to check the 'number of turns' to focus from infinity to 1 meter?

Thanks,

Jae M

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Did you have a chance to check the 'number of turns' to focus from infinity to 1 meter?

Thanks,

Jae M
    Jae, meant to get back to you sooner...there are two modes - one with the optical finder, and the second via ultrasonic.

1. It is almost a full 360 degrees, and very finely geared. Also, you've got to think of it more as a scope than a typical camera lens. With the extremely shallow DoF, it is very easy to pick your plane of focus.

2. Since the EMC also now displays lens specific (including accounting for things like focus shift), NP/FP DoF at various apertures for particular MFDB's CoC, you also have the option of the Disto with a whole lot more granularity. For example, you can place your subject at any point in within the DoF you like.

3. There is also an ultrasonic mode. You manually switch to this when needed. Typically, recommended for distances under 10ft.

Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jae, meant to get back to you sooner...there are two modes - one with the optical finder, and the second via ultrasonic.

1. It is almost a full 360 degrees, and very finely geared. Also, you've got to think of it more as a scope than a typical camera lens. With the extremely shallow DoF, it is very easy to pick your plane of focus.

2. Since the EMC also now displays lens specific (including accounting for things like focus shift), NP/FP DoF at various apertures for particular MFDB's CoC, you also have the option of the Disto with a whole lot more granularity. For example, you can place your subject at any point in within the DoF you like.

3. There is also an ultrasonic mode. You manually switch to this when needed. Typically, recommended for distances under 10ft.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for the info. A rotation of 360 degrees is good news. It provides 1 : 1 ratio between the rangefinder and helical focus ring with 35 mm and 1 : 2 with 47 mm.

I would like to hear more after you had some field usages, especially for the distance range of 5-15 meters with wide angle lenses.

By the way, what do you mean by 'the option of the Disto?'

Jae Moon

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

By the way, what do you mean by 'the option of the Disto?'

Jae Moon
    Jae, I meant that you can still use the Leica Disto 5 or similar device, and use the DoF readings off the EMC. This gives you a far more granular and accurate helical setting than the look up charts you get with the R-mounted lenses.

Hoping to try some macro type stuff shortly, just need to find the time. Will update as soon as I do.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Is there any chance of this thread returning to its original subject?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stephengilbert View Post
    Is there any chance of this thread returning to its original subject?
    If you do not mind a doublepost, here's my tiny marvel....
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Dan,

Not using the handstrap anymore? Maybe save it for your retirement.

Hope you're enjoying the new FPS and its quicker shutter!

Post Thanks / Like

Okay, now it's time for a view camera!

It's my Linhof Techno with an Leaf Aptus 75 digital back and Schneider Apo-Digitar lenses.

I'm an amateur photographer that shoot landscapes and like to hike with my camera, so portability is important. The first image shows yours truly equipped for a day out in the winter, carrying the camera backpack and tripod. I can attach the tripod on the backpack, but actually I carry it over my shoulders as shown in the picture most of the time :-).

I plan to eventually replace the manfrotto junior geared head with an Arca-Swiss D4, but there's other gear on queue before it. The manfrotto head works, but barely so and is a bit heavy.

In total the backpack weighs 9 kg and tripod with head 3.6 kg, so about 13 kg / 30 lbs to carry in total. Not too bad I think.

With that I get the camera body with both bellows (wide+normal), sliding back, digital back, batteries, five lenses (35, 47, 72, 90, 120), a number of filters (including grad filters and holder) and a few extras. I plan to expand the kit with one to three longer lenses (150, 180, 210). I use more long lenses than short in my shooting style so only having 120mm as the longest feels a bit limiting currently. On the wide end I only occassionally use the 35mm actually, instead the 47mm is the favourite all-around lens (which gives a 35mm FoV in 135 terms with my 48x36mm back).

The backpack is a boblbee 500 xt, with sidewinder extensions. Without sidewinders I can only carry three lenses. It's a quite small backpack though which I hope can be seen on the pictures, the Techno system can be made surprisingly compact.

I like that the Schneider lenses are so small and light, and mounted on a lens board also the long lenses are small. This means I can hike with many lenses, which is important to my shooting style. I also prefer the look of the simple symmetric lens designs, zero or near zero distortion, and the foggy smooth bokeh. Optimization for f/11 also make sense for my shooting style, the more recent lenses made for peak performance at larger apertures is just too short DoF for me.

I have still the standard ground glass, and will evenutally get the newly introduced bright ground glass from Linhof. It's not absolutely necessary, but as the ground glass is a central part of the view camera experience I'll get that. The tiny loupe laying on top of the digital back on the image where the ground glass is visible is my 20x critical focus loupe. For me a high magnification loupe has proven to be a key factor for consistent focusing.

I have short shutter release cables attached to all my lenses to speed up setup and lens changing. I have a small mechanical stop watch to time shutter speeds over one second.

I picked a view camera ahead of a more popular pancake camera partly due to financial reasons, while the Techno is actually more expensive than a Rm3di, the low cost lens mount makes a real difference when you start acquiring lenses. The longer lenses also get more compact and lighter so I suspect that my gear is lighter to carry too. The flexible tilt, swing and shifting was also important to me, as I wanted to have something more flexible than my Canon TS-Es rather than less. That said I don't use tilt and swing simultaneously very often, but it does happen.

I like the Leaf Aptus 75 back and it's a great starter back for those that buy gear second hand. I've been unfortunate though and have had lots and lots of cold weather trouble with it, which I'm trying to resolve with Leaf. The 33 megapixel resolution is okay although I'd like to have a bit more in the future, the sensor has accurate colors, tech cam integration is great (no wakeup, just flash sync and go!), and I also like the user interface, a sharpness check that actually works is unusual for a back this old.
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by danlindberg View Post
    If you do not mind a doublepost, here's my tiny marvel....
    That is amazingly sexy and I don't even know what it is. I love how small the entire thing is.

Post Thanks / Like

Good to see another Techno on here!
    I like your bag. Can you please post a photo of everything packed in it? I'm amazed you can fit all of that in there!

Quote Originally Posted by torger View Post
    Okay, now it's time for a view camera!

It's my Linhof Techno with an Leaf Aptus 75 digital back and Schneider Apo-Digitar lenses.

I'm an amateur photographer that shoot landscapes and like to hike with my camera, so portability is important. The first image shows yours truly equipped for a day out in the winter, carrying the camera backpack and tripod. I can attach the tripod on the backpack, but actually I carry it over my shoulders as shown in the picture most of the time :-).

I plan to eventually replace the manfrotto junior geared head with an Arca-Swiss D4, but there's other gear on queue before it. The manfrotto head works, but barely so and is a bit heavy.

In total the backpack weighs 9 kg and tripod with head 3.6 kg, so about 13 kg / 30 lbs to carry in total. Not too bad I think.

With that I get the camera body with both bellows (wide+normal), sliding back, digital back, batteries, five lenses (35, 47, 72, 90, 120), a number of filters (including grad filters and holder) and a few extras. I plan to expand the kit with one to three longer lenses (150, 180, 210). I use more long lenses than short in my shooting style so only having 120mm as the longest feels a bit limiting currently. On the wide end I only occassionally use the 35mm actually, instead the 47mm is the favourite all-around lens (which gives a 35mm FoV in 135 terms with my 48x36mm back).

The backpack is a boblbee 500 xt, with sidewinder extensions. Without sidewinders I can only carry three lenses. It's a quite small backpack though which I hope can be seen on the pictures, the Techno system can be made surprisingly compact.

I like that the Schneider lenses are so small and light, and mounted on a lens board also the long lenses are small. This means I can hike with many lenses, which is important to my shooting style. I also prefer the look of the simple symmetric lens designs, zero or near zero distortion, and the foggy smooth bokeh. Optimization for f/11 also make sense for my shooting style, the more recent lenses made for peak performance at larger apertures is just too short DoF for me.

I have still the standard ground glass, and will evenutally get the newly introduced bright ground glass from Linhof. It's not absolutely necessary, but as the ground glass is a central part of the view camera experience I'll get that. The tiny loupe laying on top of the digital back on the image where the ground glass is visible is my 20x critical focus loupe. For me a high magnification loupe has proven to be a key factor for consistent focusing.

I have short shutter release cables attached to all my lenses to speed up setup and lens changing. I have a small mechanical stop watch to time shutter speeds over one second.

I picked a view camera ahead of a more popular pancake camera partly due to financial reasons, while the Techno is actually more expensive than a Rm3di, the low cost lens mount makes a real difference when you start acquiring lenses. The longer lenses also get more compact and lighter so I suspect that my gear is lighter to carry too. The flexible tilt, swing and shifting was also important to me, as I wanted to have something more flexible than my Canon TS-Es rather than less. That said I don't use tilt and swing simultaneously very often, but it does happen.

I like the Leaf Aptus 75 back and it's a great starter back for those that buy gear second hand. I've been unfortunate though and have had lots and lots of cold weather trouble with it, which I'm trying to resolve with Leaf. The 33 megapixel resolution is okay although I'd like to have a bit more in the future, the sensor has accurate colors, tech cam integration is great (no wakeup, just flash sync and go!), and I also like the user interface, a sharpness check that actually works is unusual for a back this old.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by David Duffin View Post
    Dan,

Not using the handstrap anymore? Maybe save it for your retirement.

Hope you're enjoying the new FPS and its quicker shutter!
    David, yes I do use both grip and handstrap. Thing is.....I love to experiment and frequently try out various configurations. When I shoot waistlevel then the grip does not help, in the way I hold it. But using the sportsfinder, then the grip is great!
    Oh yes I am enjoying the FPS!!! Such a good feeling about the whole experience...

Quote Originally Posted by pyrojim View Post
    That is amazingly sexy and I don't even know what it is. I love how small the entire thing is.
    I agree Alpa TC, Schneider 35 XL and Leaf Aptus II 5.
    Last edited by danlindberg; 13th April 2013 at 01:15. Reason: spelling

Post Thanks / Like

Torger, nice to see your outfit.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tjv View Post
    Good to see another Techno on here!
    I like your bag. Can you please post a photo of everything packed in it? I'm amazed you can fit all of that in there!
    Sure. It's actually not that tightly packed. In the main compartment there's the sliding back laying flat in the bottom (had I bought the Techno today I'd pick the short back, this is the full length back and it is on the centimeter that it fits into the bag) with the digital back and viewing shade permanently attached, I also keep the sync cable attached to the back, so I can do a quicker setup. Setup means tripod up, attach body to tripod, change lens if not the desired is on, remove lens caps, attach sliding back to tripod, attach sync cable to lens. Ready to compose and shoot.

Then there's two compartments for lenses. Before I had the sidewinders I had one more compartment for an extra loupe, and a dust blower but I have removed that now when I can keep them in the sidewinders.

The last used lens sits on the body, so I have three lenses in there. The remaining two are in the sidewinders, today only wrapped in cloth but I plan to get hardcases for them when I find a suitable compact size.

The sliding back is then covered up by a long semisoft clothcovered lip, and the Techno body is simply put on top lens down, getting support from the compartments on the side and lip covering the sliding back, and sits on the bottom when the backpack is raised up vertically. Finally I put my black cotton t-shirt in there over everything. That t-shirt is used as focusing cloth when needed as the neck fits tightly over the viewing shade, I think it's better than a traditional focusing cloth. When packing the t-shirt doubles as padding and makes sure the camera body sits tightly and padded when the backpack is closed up. I would not check it in at an airport, but for hiking the gear is protected enough.

All the green parts inside the backpack came with it, so I have no custom parts.

The sidewinders are just simple cloth bags (not semihard as the main bag), and in addition to the lenses I've thrown in dust blower, a bag of filters and some minor things. Packing of those can be further refined for sure, and I can fit a couple more lenses.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Anders, that's lovely kit. The real edge of using Techno IMO is the small form factor of carrying tele-lenses. Cheers!

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, there are quite a few choices of tech cameras out there, each with their strengths and weaknesses, making the choice very personal. One photographer's shooting style may fit one camera but not the other. I think I've find the right camera for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wesley View Post
    The real edge of using Techno IMO is the small form factor of carrying tele-lenses...

Absolutely. It's easy to forget that because the lens boards are simple and light, the lenses themselves take up very little space, and if you carry 3 or more lenses, you can save a lot of weight. I did a quick comparison of a Techno + Normal Bellows + WA Bellows + Short Sliding Back + G/G + Loupe + DB adapter plate + 3 lenses (RS 40, 70 and SK 120) to an Alpa Max (with grip) + Viewfinder + DB adapter plate + 3 lenses (same as for the Techno, but two had HPF rings attached) + 2 x 17mm T/S adapters. They both came to about 3.8kg - I really didn't expect it to be that close. In a 4 or 5 lens kit (especially with longer lenses) the Techno would be significantly lighter. In terms of 'bulk' it was pretty even also - the 'depth' of the Techno camera itself and the space for the sliding back being equalised by the T/S adapters and the size of the mounts + helicals on the Alpa lenses.