The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Show us your Tech Cam

danlindberg

That little TC is so sweet! I would not mind one.....

I have tweaked my viewfinder and it is a real success. Maybe not for all, but for me it works perfect. I have used the 72mm screen and put white dots exactly on the line for a 35mm. I know you can have double thin lines but i prefer it this way. It is very quick to see correct framing for 35, you still have light and air around the dots, but it is really clear what is in your frame.

yaya

Travel camera: Arca-Swiss Rm2D, Arca-Swiss P1 ballhead, SK 43mm XL, Mamiya neck strap:)

Interiors/ tests camera: Cambo WDS with my DIY Delrin handle (smaller and lighter than the wooden one) and £3 cable release (works a treat as I'm a lefty), SK 35mm XL

Favourite back on both is the AFi-II (not shown) with the tilt screen and the rotating sensor

Yair

PeterA

I like the ( much maligned) Alpa viewfinder and its various masks. T

Recently I bought a Leaf Afi 11 7 from Son ( thanks Son! - great guy to deal with) in order to provide for a back up back in Afi mount - the Afi 11 has inbuilt rotating back which is a bonus as the Alpa viewfinder also rotates

This is a plain vanilla 12WA model - and I have been shooting with it for over 5 years now..I will probably add a 12STC to the bag for its rise/stitching capabilities when on holiday and not carrying the artec

these were snaps made this afternoon - the first ay in many when we had some nice sunlight - I used my Leica S2 and a 70mm to make the snaps. Later I will post shots of the Sinar Artec - I think the best real tech camera out there ( yes Guy, I know I promised and I will do a review one day! :salute:

btw - I love my Alpa camera a lot and I think teh prefect walk around lens to match it is the 35 Schneider digitar (pictured) - however I limit my digi chip sizes on tech cameras to 33 megapixels, thus not having to worry about a lot of issues which come with larger chips and various wide angle lenses. Both Leaf and Sinar backs do NOT require a multi trigger cable - definite advantages for the tech shooter in a rush!

danlindberg

I mounted the 'upsidedown device' on the SWA. I use fall quite a bit and in the end it is a little hassle (out in the field) to switch lens to back and Db to front. My workflow now when needing fall is to set it up in the normal position, set focus, exposure and estimate how much fall and then simply turn it upsidedown.

The ring is mounted with a magnet and comes off in a splitsecond. I have realised that I do not need the viewfinder that much. The ring is only to pinpoint centrepoint and then rely on spiritlevels. I know now the coverage of my lenses so I am almost always accurate with composition without the viewfinder. The weight is close to nothing so that is also a bonus.

Looks kind of minimalistic :) and suits my purpose...

By the way, what do you think of my new handles? I love them :D

jlm

Workshop Member
another version of the classic light ashwood: (Listed in the FS); a different structural approach

S

Shelby Lewis

Nice tripod Shelby. How much does that weigh?
Let's just say it's weight is in line with the rest of the system :D

Stephen's link is good... around 6lbs which, to me, isn't that bad as I'm not a trekker with this gear too often.

Had that Ries been on sale when I bought my Berlebach, I might have changed my mind! Lovely legs.

Ok, I'll bow out of my OT-ness!

etrump

Let's just say it's weight is in line with the rest of the system :D

Stephen's link is good... around 6lbs which, to me, isn't that bad as I'm not a trekker with this gear too often.

Had that Ries been on sale when I bought my Berlebach, I might have changed my mind! Lovely legs.

Ok, I'll bow out of my OT-ness!
I'm sure it makes for a stable kit and looks classy as well. :) I've seen guys lug tripods like yours into the wilderness but it takes a hearty soul.

FredBGG

Not Available
How about the fashion photographers tech cam... ;)

It's an "overgrown" MF slr with the front of a technical camera. All the lenses from 50mm to 500mm including a 100-200mm zoom support tilt and shift.

I use the tilt and swing as well as the shift.

shift is great for those portraits from below the eye line. Gives the image a less distorted look without the head being a little smaller and the shoulders heavier.

Here are a couple of examples:

I also like to use the tilt for focus control, especially when shooting wide open.
It is so nice to be able to focus on two people on opposite sides of the frame and at different distances from the camera and keep a super shallow depth of field.

Here is a comparison (scanned contact prints cropped to half the frame)

With no tilt

With tilt correction. Notice how both the models are in focus while the depth of field is still very shallow.

I often use the tilt very slightly to enhance bokeh on the background.
Here is an example:

Here I used a little bit of tilt to keep a bit more car in focus while still having strong separation from the background.

As I have a nice set of these Fuji GX680 lenses I am making a tilt and shift rig for them
to use with my Phase One DF. I will mainly use it with the lenses wide open, but manual stop down is possible with these lenses.
These lenses are really nice wide open. Nice and sharp and spectacular bokeh. The 125 3.2 and the 180 3.2 are my favorites.
I am making the rig with the front end of a GX680 and a wide angle bellows.

Last edited: