The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Show us your Tech Cam

alajuela

May I know what brand/model base rail pictured, please?
Hi Gerald
Looks great, fantastic machine. I has a similar question, on the rail, what is the silver colored stop? Looks better than the RRS ones, which I have broken the plastic knob, more than once.

Thanks
Phil

gerald.d

Hi guys - the rail is the one that comes with the VR Drive. It's not branded, but I suspect it might be a Novoflex since the other rail that I got with my VR Drive is a Novoflex (it's blue though) and has the same stop.

Regards,

Gerald.

alajuela

Hi guys - the rail is the one that comes with the VR Drive. It's not branded, but I suspect it might be a Novoflex since the other rail that I got with my VR Drive is a Novoflex (it's blue though) and has the same stop.

Regards,

Gerald.
Thanks Gerald,

I will check, I looked on the Novoflex web site I don't see it listed. Novoflex BTW makes really good ball heads (classic 3 and 5) , I put them in same league as RRS - I have both. I use all RRS stuff clamps and plates - they fit well with Novoflex. But Novoflex plates do not work well with RRS. Also blue is cool :cool:

Really neat set up, - I am jealous, the FPS set up seems really versatile and a lot of fun.

Hope Cambo noticed it:clap:

Thanks again for quick reply
Phil

jagsiva

All the little Arca bits I have been waiting for...

Pics of all the new Arca bits that some of you may be interesting in seeing. Sorry about some blur...hand held while baby-sitting.

1. Factum Grip
2. Rm3Di Grip extension
3. Cold Shoe - I use it for mounting a wireless trigger
4. Factum adapter for eModule Cloud
5. Factum with eModule Cloud
6. Rm3Di with eModule Cloud
7. Rotaslide w/groundglass
8. FINALLY - body cap - I would have loved to see Martin mill a nice solid piece with Arca-Swiss engraved in it, but I'm sure it would have been $1200 bucks!! Leave that to our Alpa friends (sorry, couldn't resist)....this was one 60 bucks and fits quite nicely. Now I can leave my back on the body.

Jae_Moon

Re: All the little Arca bits I have been waiting for...

Pics of all the new Arca bits that some of you may be interesting in seeing.
Congratulation !!! I am drooling. Would like to hear from you how eModule performs. Can eModule swing up/down independently from camera body? How many turns does the focus adjustment ring have from infinity to let say 1 meter away? Etc., etc. I am wondering if they are calculating the distance based on the angular rotation of VF focus ring (the reverse of helical focus ring of camera).

Jae Moon

Last edited:

darr

8. FINALLY - body cap - I would have loved to see Martin mill a nice solid piece with Arca-Swiss engraved in it, but I'm sure it would have been $1200 bucks!! Leave that to our Alpa friends (sorry, couldn't resist)....this was one 60 bucks and fits quite nicely. Now I can leave my back on the body.
Congratulations! As a longtime Arca user (4x5/6x9 film and ML2), I am sure you will enjoy your new toy -- does look a bit like a robot! :LOL:

PS: I went with an ALPA Max for my digital pancake and their body cap only cost me $40 and I received it here in the US in one week. :thumbs:

Frederic

Pics of all the new Arca bits that some of you may be interesting in seeing. Sorry about some blur...hand held while baby-sitting.

1. Factum Grip
2. Rm3Di Grip extension
3. Cold Shoe - I use it for mounting a wireless trigger
4. Factum adapter for eModule Cloud
5. Factum with eModule Cloud
6. Rm3Di with eModule Cloud
7. Rotaslide w/groundglass
Congrats on the good looking factum thing !
How does it feel in your hands, have you tried to shoot handheld with a digi back mounted ?

jagsiva

Congratulation !!! I am drooling. Would like to hear from you how eModule performs. Can eModule swing up/down independently from camera body? How many turns does the focus adjustment ring have from infinity to let say 1 meter away? Etc., etc. I am wondering if they are calculating the distance based on the angular rotation of VF focus ring (the reverse of helical focus ring of camera).

Jae Moon
Jae, not sure how they are calculating the distance, but I can tell you that it is bang on. The lens on it like and f.4 or something with a substantial amount of magnification. The image just snaps into focus and you know you are there. So setting up for near-point, far-point is very easy.

The module does not swing up or down, but can be removed and still be used as it is tethered via an RJ9 cable. So the connection to the helical is still maintained. I would think it taking it off the plane of the sensor will affect performance though, will do some research on it.

Will get back to you on number of turns etc. in a couple of days. Off with the family for Easter.

Bottom line for me is that using the OVF to focus is easier than any OVF I have used, and the corresponding setting for the helical is extremely accurate. Martin has also built in specific lens behaviour such as focus shifts into the EMC. The charts are archaic by comparison.

jagsiva

Congratulations! As a longtime Arca user (4x5/6x9 film and ML2), I am sure you will enjoy your new toy -- does look a bit like a robot! :LOL:

PS: I went with an ALPA Max for my digital pancake and their body cap only cost me $40 and I received it here in the US in one week. :thumbs:
Darr, I have had the camera for a while and while I loved it, the add on bits, expand its usage quite a bit for me. Problem was it took some time get everything.

On the cap, clearly you did not get the Apla Deluxe one to match the gold plated shutter release :facesmack:

jagsiva

Congrats on the good looking factum thing !
How does it feel in your hands, have you tried to shoot handheld with a digi back mounted ?
Yes I have, and that was my main reason for getting it. I was a little dissapointed that Martin had not built in some kind of feed for the relase on to the grip, but I understand he is working on something.

The Factum and grip are so small that you are basically just concerned about the lens and back weight. Bonus is that now you can rise/fall, holding the camera vertical for any arch/landscape shots. This makes a great walkabout setup for cityscapes and landscapes for me.

I waiting for my IQ260 Achromatic back with a base ISO of 200, and i think that will add another level of hand-held use scenarios for me.

danlindberg

I have an Easter Exhibition at a beachside hotel in south of Sweden right now. I also have on display my tech cam and OMG it creates interest :D:D The art is secondary :chug:

Oh well, I sold 2 yesterday and 2 today so far. :thumbup:

gerald.d

Can I trust my eyes ? ?

Dan , do I see an ALPA FPS attached ?
If its true , congratulation .
Not just an FPS either - unless my eyes are deceiving me, that's one of the Schneider Tilt-Shifts :)

/edit.

Having given it some thought, my money's on it being the Canon mount 90mm. The Mamiya mount 120mm would be unlikely, since I can't see the 11mm adapter on the FPS, and the Mamiya mount isn't shipping until next week :D

danlindberg

Can I trust my eyes ? ?

Dan , do I see an ALPA FPS attached ?
If its true , congratulation .
YES! An FPS has arrived on swedish ground. A remarkable machine. I have only shot a few exposures but already it feels familiar in my hands. Before I thought the sound of the Leica M9 shutter was sexy, well, FPS shutter sound is.....even more so. A trivial point but it is the sum of all small details that make anything desirable. And the FPS is very desirable ;)

As you can understand, in the near future there will be a lot of experimenting of possibilities to use it as a standalone body and also as a shutter module to the traditional Alpa bodies.

One of the lenses I am eager to try out is my newly bought Distagon CFE 4/40 IF in mint condition. I can use it with simultanous shift/tilt. I will post my findings how it holds up with a Credo 60 back :D

The exhibition is of a series not very 'traditional photography' artworks. They are however commercially good and bread & butter projects. Conceptual photography that inspires to choose more than one piece - finding a number with symbolic value for the buyer. Works in both modern, minimalistic or rustic interiors.

They are quite large, 1x1 metre. I attach my information canvas even if it is in swedish....:D

What's your favorite number...?

danlindberg

Not just an FPS either - unless my eyes are deceiving me, that's one of the Schneider Tilt-Shifts :)

/edit.

Having given it some thought, my money's on it being the Canon mount 90mm. The Mamiya mount 120mm would be unlikely, since I can't see the 11mm adapter on the FPS, and the Mamiya mount isn't shipping until next week :D
Yes, Schneider PC TS 4.5/90 but in Nikon mount. I also have the traditional Schneider 4.5/90 tech lens to compare the two! They are supposed to be exactly the same optical formula so this will be interesting. One of them is going back and one stays. Which will it be?

gerald.d

Ooh. Interesting you went for the Nikon mount Dan - I never really considered it because I was looking primarily to use the Canon 17 and 24 TS-E's.

Would be very interested in your reasoning for going for the Nikon.

Kind regards,

Gerald.

danlindberg

Ooh. Interesting you went for the Nikon mount Dan - I never really considered it because I was looking primarily to use the Canon 17 and 24 TS-E's.

Would be very interested in your reasoning for going for the Nikon.

Kind regards,

Gerald.
Well, the thing is that my heart tick for tech lenses. The HPF is really so precise that I have a hard time thinking 'not' having it. Tremendous quality in a small and light package. I love the precise mechanical feel and focus resistance. In my mind I like this better from square one.
The only advantage I can see with the PC lens is simultanous tilt/shift. This is ofcourse a factor sometimes, but most of the time I only use one or the other and can live with that limitation.

So, the PC is more of a test rather than a thoughtful plan (Nikon mount). Maybe it surprises me, maybe it inspires - but it must be an amazing lens if it is going to win me over from 'true' tech lenses. But the concept is interesting and I want to learn new ways of working and what could be better than an FPS? Mindblowing machine! :)