The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Show us your Tech Cam

Jae_Moon

Re: All the little Arca bits I have been waiting for...

Jae, not sure how they are calculating the distance, but I can tell you that it is bang on. The lens on it like and f.4 or something with a substantial amount of magnification. The image just snaps into focus and you know you are there. So setting up for near-point, far-point is very easy.

Will get back to you on number of turns etc. in a couple of days. Off with the family for Easter.

Bottom line for me is that using the OVF to focus is easier than any OVF I have used, and the corresponding setting for the helical is extremely accurate. Martin has also built in specific lens behaviour such as focus shifts into the EMC. The charts are archaic by comparison.

Did you have a chance to check the 'number of turns' to focus from infinity to 1 meter?

Thanks,

Jae M

jagsiva

Did you have a chance to check the 'number of turns' to focus from infinity to 1 meter?

Thanks,

Jae M
Jae, meant to get back to you sooner...there are two modes - one with the optical finder, and the second via ultrasonic.

1. It is almost a full 360 degrees, and very finely geared. Also, you've got to think of it more as a scope than a typical camera lens. With the extremely shallow DoF, it is very easy to pick your plane of focus.

2. Since the EMC also now displays lens specific (including accounting for things like focus shift), NP/FP DoF at various apertures for particular MFDB's CoC, you also have the option of the Disto with a whole lot more granularity. For example, you can place your subject at any point in within the DoF you like.

3. There is also an ultrasonic mode. You manually switch to this when needed. Typically, recommended for distances under 10ft.

Hope this helps.

Jae_Moon

Jae, meant to get back to you sooner...there are two modes - one with the optical finder, and the second via ultrasonic.

1. It is almost a full 360 degrees, and very finely geared. Also, you've got to think of it more as a scope than a typical camera lens. With the extremely shallow DoF, it is very easy to pick your plane of focus.

2. Since the EMC also now displays lens specific (including accounting for things like focus shift), NP/FP DoF at various apertures for particular MFDB's CoC, you also have the option of the Disto with a whole lot more granularity. For example, you can place your subject at any point in within the DoF you like.

3. There is also an ultrasonic mode. You manually switch to this when needed. Typically, recommended for distances under 10ft.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for the info. A rotation of 360 degrees is good news. It provides 1 : 1 ratio between the rangefinder and helical focus ring with 35 mm and 1 : 2 with 47 mm.

I would like to hear more after you had some field usages, especially for the distance range of 5-15 meters with wide angle lenses.

By the way, what do you mean by 'the option of the Disto?'

Jae Moon

jagsiva

By the way, what do you mean by 'the option of the Disto?'

Jae Moon
Jae, I meant that you can still use the Leica Disto 5 or similar device, and use the DoF readings off the EMC. This gives you a far more granular and accurate helical setting than the look up charts you get with the R-mounted lenses.

Hoping to try some macro type stuff shortly, just need to find the time. Will update as soon as I do.

Dan,

Not using the handstrap anymore? Maybe save it for your retirement.

Hope you're enjoying the new FPS and its quicker shutter! :clap:

torger

Okay, now it's time for a view camera!

It's my Linhof Techno with an Leaf Aptus 75 digital back and Schneider Apo-Digitar lenses.

I'm an amateur photographer that shoot landscapes and like to hike with my camera, so portability is important. The first image shows yours truly equipped for a day out in the winter, carrying the camera backpack and tripod. I can attach the tripod on the backpack, but actually I carry it over my shoulders as shown in the picture most of the time :).

I plan to eventually replace the manfrotto junior geared head with an Arca-Swiss D4, but there's other gear on queue before it. The manfrotto head works, but barely so and is a bit heavy.

In total the backpack weighs 9 kg and tripod with head 3.6 kg, so about 13 kg / 30 lbs to carry in total. Not too bad I think.

With that I get the camera body with both bellows (wide+normal), sliding back, digital back, batteries, five lenses (35, 47, 72, 90, 120), a number of filters (including grad filters and holder) and a few extras. I plan to expand the kit with one to three longer lenses (150, 180, 210). I use more long lenses than short in my shooting style so only having 120mm as the longest feels a bit limiting currently. On the wide end I only occassionally use the 35mm actually, instead the 47mm is the favourite all-around lens (which gives a 35mm FoV in 135 terms with my 48x36mm back).

The backpack is a boblbee 500 xt, with sidewinder extensions. Without sidewinders I can only carry three lenses. It's a quite small backpack though which I hope can be seen on the pictures, the Techno system can be made surprisingly compact.

I like that the Schneider lenses are so small and light, and mounted on a lens board also the long lenses are small. This means I can hike with many lenses, which is important to my shooting style. I also prefer the look of the simple symmetric lens designs, zero or near zero distortion, and the foggy smooth bokeh. Optimization for f/11 also make sense for my shooting style, the more recent lenses made for peak performance at larger apertures is just too short DoF for me.

I have still the standard ground glass, and will evenutally get the newly introduced bright ground glass from Linhof. It's not absolutely necessary, but as the ground glass is a central part of the view camera experience I'll get that. The tiny loupe laying on top of the digital back on the image where the ground glass is visible is my 20x critical focus loupe. For me a high magnification loupe has proven to be a key factor for consistent focusing.

I have short shutter release cables attached to all my lenses to speed up setup and lens changing. I have a small mechanical stop watch to time shutter speeds over one second.

I picked a view camera ahead of a more popular pancake camera partly due to financial reasons, while the Techno is actually more expensive than a Rm3di, the low cost lens mount makes a real difference when you start acquiring lenses. The longer lenses also get more compact and lighter so I suspect that my gear is lighter to carry too. The flexible tilt, swing and shifting was also important to me, as I wanted to have something more flexible than my Canon TS-Es rather than less. That said I don't use tilt and swing simultaneously very often, but it does happen.

I like the Leaf Aptus 75 back and it's a great starter back for those that buy gear second hand. I've been unfortunate though and have had lots and lots of cold weather trouble with it, which I'm trying to resolve with Leaf. The 33 megapixel resolution is okay although I'd like to have a bit more in the future, the sensor has accurate colors, tech cam integration is great (no wakeup, just flash sync and go!), and I also like the user interface, a sharpness check that actually works is unusual for a back this old.

tjv

Good to see another Techno on here!
I like your bag. Can you please post a photo of everything packed in it? I'm amazed you can fit all of that in there!

Okay, now it's time for a view camera!

It's my Linhof Techno with an Leaf Aptus 75 digital back and Schneider Apo-Digitar lenses.

I'm an amateur photographer that shoot landscapes and like to hike with my camera, so portability is important. The first image shows yours truly equipped for a day out in the winter, carrying the camera backpack and tripod. I can attach the tripod on the backpack, but actually I carry it over my shoulders as shown in the picture most of the time :).

I plan to eventually replace the manfrotto junior geared head with an Arca-Swiss D4, but there's other gear on queue before it. The manfrotto head works, but barely so and is a bit heavy.

In total the backpack weighs 9 kg and tripod with head 3.6 kg, so about 13 kg / 30 lbs to carry in total. Not too bad I think.

With that I get the camera body with both bellows (wide+normal), sliding back, digital back, batteries, five lenses (35, 47, 72, 90, 120), a number of filters (including grad filters and holder) and a few extras. I plan to expand the kit with one to three longer lenses (150, 180, 210). I use more long lenses than short in my shooting style so only having 120mm as the longest feels a bit limiting currently. On the wide end I only occassionally use the 35mm actually, instead the 47mm is the favourite all-around lens (which gives a 35mm FoV in 135 terms with my 48x36mm back).

The backpack is a boblbee 500 xt, with sidewinder extensions. Without sidewinders I can only carry three lenses. It's a quite small backpack though which I hope can be seen on the pictures, the Techno system can be made surprisingly compact.

I like that the Schneider lenses are so small and light, and mounted on a lens board also the long lenses are small. This means I can hike with many lenses, which is important to my shooting style. I also prefer the look of the simple symmetric lens designs, zero or near zero distortion, and the foggy smooth bokeh. Optimization for f/11 also make sense for my shooting style, the more recent lenses made for peak performance at larger apertures is just too short DoF for me.

I have still the standard ground glass, and will evenutally get the newly introduced bright ground glass from Linhof. It's not absolutely necessary, but as the ground glass is a central part of the view camera experience I'll get that. The tiny loupe laying on top of the digital back on the image where the ground glass is visible is my 20x critical focus loupe. For me a high magnification loupe has proven to be a key factor for consistent focusing.

I have short shutter release cables attached to all my lenses to speed up setup and lens changing. I have a small mechanical stop watch to time shutter speeds over one second.

I picked a view camera ahead of a more popular pancake camera partly due to financial reasons, while the Techno is actually more expensive than a Rm3di, the low cost lens mount makes a real difference when you start acquiring lenses. The longer lenses also get more compact and lighter so I suspect that my gear is lighter to carry too. The flexible tilt, swing and shifting was also important to me, as I wanted to have something more flexible than my Canon TS-Es rather than less. That said I don't use tilt and swing simultaneously very often, but it does happen.

I like the Leaf Aptus 75 back and it's a great starter back for those that buy gear second hand. I've been unfortunate though and have had lots and lots of cold weather trouble with it, which I'm trying to resolve with Leaf. The 33 megapixel resolution is okay although I'd like to have a bit more in the future, the sensor has accurate colors, tech cam integration is great (no wakeup, just flash sync and go!), and I also like the user interface, a sharpness check that actually works is unusual for a back this old.

danlindberg

Dan,

Not using the handstrap anymore? Maybe save it for your retirement.

Hope you're enjoying the new FPS and its quicker shutter! :clap:
David, yes I do use both grip and handstrap. Thing is.....I love to experiment and frequently try out various configurations. When I shoot waistlevel then the grip does not help, in the way I hold it. But using the sportsfinder, then the grip is great!
Oh yes I am enjoying the FPS!!! Such a good feeling about the whole experience...

That is amazingly sexy and I don't even know what it is. I love how small the entire thing is.
I agree :thumbup: Alpa TC, Schneider 35 XL and Leaf Aptus II 5.

Last edited:

torger

Good to see another Techno on here!
I like your bag. Can you please post a photo of everything packed in it? I'm amazed you can fit all of that in there!
Sure. It's actually not that tightly packed. In the main compartment there's the sliding back laying flat in the bottom (had I bought the Techno today I'd pick the short back, this is the full length back and it is on the centimeter that it fits into the bag) with the digital back and viewing shade permanently attached, I also keep the sync cable attached to the back, so I can do a quicker setup. Setup means tripod up, attach body to tripod, change lens if not the desired is on, remove lens caps, attach sliding back to tripod, attach sync cable to lens. Ready to compose and shoot.

Then there's two compartments for lenses. Before I had the sidewinders I had one more compartment for an extra loupe, and a dust blower but I have removed that now when I can keep them in the sidewinders.

The last used lens sits on the body, so I have three lenses in there. The remaining two are in the sidewinders, today only wrapped in cloth but I plan to get hardcases for them when I find a suitable compact size.

The sliding back is then covered up by a long semisoft clothcovered lip, and the Techno body is simply put on top lens down, getting support from the compartments on the side and lip covering the sliding back, and sits on the bottom when the backpack is raised up vertically. Finally I put my black cotton t-shirt in there over everything. That t-shirt is used as focusing cloth when needed as the neck fits tightly over the viewing shade, I think it's better than a traditional focusing cloth. When packing the t-shirt doubles as padding and makes sure the camera body sits tightly and padded when the backpack is closed up. I would not check it in at an airport, but for hiking the gear is protected enough.

All the green parts inside the backpack came with it, so I have no custom parts.

The sidewinders are just simple cloth bags (not semihard as the main bag), and in addition to the lenses I've thrown in dust blower, a bag of filters and some minor things. Packing of those can be further refined for sure, and I can fit a couple more lenses.

wesley

Anders, that's lovely kit. The real edge of using Techno IMO is the small form factor of carrying tele-lenses. Cheers!

torger

Yes, there are quite a few choices of tech cameras out there, each with their strengths and weaknesses, making the choice very personal. One photographer's shooting style may fit one camera but not the other. I think I've find the right camera for me.

f8orbust

The real edge of using Techno IMO is the small form factor of carrying tele-lenses...

Absolutely. It's easy to forget that because the lens boards are simple and light, the lenses themselves take up very little space, and if you carry 3 or more lenses, you can save a lot of weight. I did a quick comparison of a Techno + Normal Bellows + WA Bellows + Short Sliding Back + G/G + Loupe + DB adapter plate + 3 lenses (RS 40, 70 and SK 120) to an Alpa Max (with grip) + Viewfinder + DB adapter plate + 3 lenses (same as for the Techno, but two had HPF rings attached) + 2 x 17mm T/S adapters. They both came to about 3.8kg - I really didn't expect it to be that close. In a 4 or 5 lens kit (especially with longer lenses) the Techno would be significantly lighter. In terms of 'bulk' it was pretty even also - the 'depth' of the Techno camera itself and the space for the sliding back being equalised by the T/S adapters and the size of the mounts + helicals on the Alpa lenses.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
what is the blue band for?

Cheers, -Peter
Peter,

The edge of the IQ and Credo backs tend to rest on whatever surface you put the camera down on. It's liable to scratches over time in my experience. I've been thinking about doing something similar (I've used gaffer tape) after my own back got a few marks on it. On the Credo it can also prevent hitting the on/off switch ...

Dan, make sure that you lock that release button :toocool: