The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Show us your Tech Cam

PSon

Interesting one, where did you get it from Thomas ? The item reference is 551.43.097 but I can't find one for sale...
Since Thomas did not response to the question, I will offer you how I got mine. When I bought the Sinar eMotion 75LV mark II brand new from Sinar Bron, it came with the digital back in a Pelican case like. Thus I am not sure if you can buy one.
Best Regards,
-Son

lowep

Frederic

Here an example of the LCC adapters .
You will need a milling machine and a lathe with an 80mm chuck .
Also , the material is not easy to get . It is hard PVC in black .

View attachment 79815

View attachment 79816

70mm , 75mm , 90mm from left to right .
I had the same problem with a monster 55mm Pentax Takumar 6x7 lens that I got without a lens cap to do panorama stitching with my Contax 645, so I went to the hardware store and got a pvc pipe end cover from the plumbing department that was about the same diameter then cut down down the sides with a hacksaw until they were about 2cm high then padded the sides with black electrical tape so my new lens cap fits snugly enough on my old lens to keep dust out - though it would probably not win any beauty competitions.

Sunchai

to Ray, and everyone
Now I know how to name it.
"Mixer Cam"

it the mixer of :
Swing&Tilt&Focusing Base+PhaseOneDF+and RBlens.
Have fun Ray

Sunchai. :D

torger

Here's a tech cam solution from a hiking landscape photographer.

It's my new layout in the F-stop XL Pro internal camera unit after recently getting the SK60XL (one more lens caused some reordering needs). The XL ICU fits into the Satori Exp backpack, and while it's tight the top lenses can be pulled out through the smallish backpack opening.

The lens lineup is as follows: all Schneider Digitar, 35XL, 47XL, 60XL, 72, 90, 120, 180, that is 7 lenses. All lenses have a 10cm cable release attached for quicker setup.

The F-stop ICU is designed for DSLR gear and is a bit deeper than needed for the Techno gear. To make better use of the space I have filters stored under the camera body, and extra batteries and CF cards and other tiny things in small pouches (well, plastic bags actually :) ) under the lenses.

The sliding back has the digital back mounted in place, and the back has the synch cable attached, so when setting up the system you just put up the body on the tripod, attach the back and shoot. Only change lens if needed. In the image the body has no lens attached, but the normal case is that you have one of the lenses on the body.

When using the 180mm or the 120mm on closeups one need to change to the long bellows.

List of contents:

* Linhof Techno body
* Lee Filters Seven compact filter with 4 grads
* 72mm Polariser and one ND
* 7 lenses as listed, with filter rings adapted to 72mm filter diameter except for the 40.5mm lenses, means fast filter setup.
* Step-up ring for 40.5 to 72mm when attaching filters to the 40.5mm lenses (the 72, 90 and 120)
* Sliding back with Leaf Aptus 75 digital back
* 4 normal batteries and one large
* long cable release as extra
* (not shown) rocket blower
* (not shown) neck pouch with LCC card, mechanical stop watch, leitz fokos rangefinder, 12x and 20x loupe, dof/tilt table card.
* extra CF cards
* optical cleaning cloth
* (not shown) black t-shirt used as focusing cloth (rarely needed thanks to gg shade and bright gg, but it's still important as padding for the Techno body when carrying)

I got a lens shade too for the filter system which does fit into the box on top of the body, but I never really use it so I have left it out. I do it the classic way and shade with the hand or hat.

In addition to this there's a Gitzo extra long systematic tripod and a Arca-Swiss D4 head.

The box with all gear weighs 8.7 kg / 19.2 pounds, the tripod with head 3.0 kg / 6.6 pounds, gear total is thus 11.7 kg / 25.8 pounds. I challenge anyone to put together a tech cam system with 7 lenses to fit into this package, both volume and weight wise :). I think it would be tough even with a 35mm DSLR system if you want to have only primes and first class tilt-shift lenses.

On day hikes I can use my Satori Exp bag, but on multi-day hikes when I need full gear with sleeping bag, tent etc I use a Bergans Powerframe 130L backpack:

Powerframe 130L Dk Green - Bergans of Norway

There's many bigger backpacks on the market but few that fits an F-stop XL ICU and at the same time has it easily accessible. The 130L does that. I mount the tripod on the side of the backback instead of one side pocket (side pockets are detachable). The backpack works fine with only the camera gear in it too (compresses okay), so once the camp has been set up you can unload all gear except the camera and go out shooting.

It should be said while the camera gear is light for what you get, hiking with the camera and full camping gear and food gets heavy, count on 25 - 30 kg (55 - 66 lbs) depending on how lightweight camping gear you have and how much food you need.

tjv

Torger, just looking at what you manage to fit in your backpack, you make a strong case for the smaller Schneider designs over the Rodenstocks. I have the latter, but they certainly take up more room and are heavy!

dchew

Wow Torger! The pack weighs 5 kg empty! I am such a wimp complaining about my whole Alpa kit at 10 lbs (not including tripod) in the other thread...

You make me wonder after how many lenses does the Tecno become the lightest camera? No helicals, only a light lens board per lens; everything else is shared. Not to mention the long lenses take up the least space and are light. A 180mm in an Alpa mount would take the space of three or four of your lenses.

Very nice!

torger

Yes I like the compact Schneider designs. They've unfortunately lost a bit in popularity as they the more recent smaller pixel sensors have cast/crosstalk issues with the wides, and the wides are not as razor-sharp as the Rodie wides (but has less distortion on the other hand). I hope sensor technology will eventually solve the cast/crosstalk issue so this type of design can become more popular again.

Concerning wide angle sharpness I think this type of lens design reaches a sufficient level. I'm not shooting f/8, my most common aperture is f/16, and I never go wider than f/11. For my shooting style a more compact lens optimized for these smaller apertures makes more sense.

Now and then I think about upgrading digital back, but I realize that I don't really need more megapixels for resolving power, 33 megapixels with careful raw conversion and sharpening is enough as diffraction limits what you can get. Sure there are occassional shots when I could resolve more, but they don't happen too often in my shooting style which is much about closer more intimite landscapes than panoramic grand views. Still more megapixels would be nice to reduce aliasing issues. But looking how the 6um Dalsa sensors performs with the 35XL (ie not that great) I'm more and more looking at maybe just upgrading to a Aptus-II 7 (newer and faster version of the 33 megapixel back) would be better for me than going for an Aptus-II 10 or similar.

I'm really showcasing one of Linhof Techno's strong points here, if you have a shooting style that gains from having a wide range of focal lengths to choose from (I like it a lot) it's a great system, and probably less bulky and lighter than most others. If you only use a few focal lengths of shorter length a pancake camera system will be lighter of course. Techno's body and sliding back adds some base weight. I don't know where the break-even point is, but it probably comes faster if using Schneider Digitar lenses.

Yes the powerframe backpack is heavy empty, it's because it's an aluminum hard frame backpack, so in those 25 kg I mentioned I do include the backpack weight. There's an advantage though. With the Satori Exp backpack I cannot carry the 3 kg tripod comfortably on the backpack so I carry it in my hand or over my head/shoulder. Putting it on the back of the backback it gets too rear-heavy (3 kg tripod is a bit too heavy to carry so far out from the body's center of mass), and putting on the side the backpack gets too side-heavy. With the Powerframe backpack I can carry it on the side without balance issues, especially when I counter-balance it with a water bottle or something in the side-pocket on the other side.

tjv

I've said it before, but I'll say it again. I love the Techno. It's a very underrated system. Understandably, some don't like the ground glass focusing, but the extra effort to use it pays off IMHO.

tjv

Just for good measure, I'll post a (bad iPhone) photo of my Techno.
Still haven't managed to get hold of an Arca-Swiss D4 geared head, but my old, trusty Gitzo pan-tilt does an admirable job all the same.
Using a Lee universal hood with a 90mm Rodenstock (blue band), Horseman 6x7cm film back and bag bellows. I use the Silvestri ground glass and frame to focus and compose. I was surprised at how good this GG solution is!

Arca Swiss Rm3di with the e-module cloud. This is one of the newest edition cloud. My tum unit was older so it required some factory modification and calibration before I could use the cloud. Note the jack on the body is the older type.

The cloud is a great help. I still use the laser in addition when going for critical focus. The focus range indication is a treat and I no longer need to tilt the neck and look at the front of the camera to turn the focusing helical when focusing. It is much more ergonomic and makes it a lot easier when trapped in the corner during shoots which seems to happen a lot.:D

tjv

I've never quite understood how the Arca e-module works, or at least how it can accurately indicate focus distance. I'll have to do some research, I guess, but wouldn't it just be easier to use a laser range finder and do without the extra weight?