The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Show us your Tech Cam

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Jurgen -- any tips on putting together your lens-shade holder? I.e., what are the parts, and where did you get them? I have an Alpa Max with 40mm and 60mm, and I'd like to create something similar that doesn't put weight on the lens.

thank you,
ethan
Hello ethan

I will take and show a detailed image of my bellows holder later . (self made)
That bellows holder won't fit the ALPA MAX as the so called ALPA mechanical interface is missing on the ALPA MAX . Have a look to the two images .

ALPA.MAX.jpgALPA.12.PLUS.jpg

The ALPA 12 PLUS (second image) has the very useful mechanical interface .
Please see the five holes , threads and positioning holes , aligned horizontal , just below the name ALPA . The ALPA MAX does not have these holes and therefore no accessory can be mounted at this place .

epforever

Thanks, Jurgen. I see exactly what you mean. If it's a hassle, no need to go into detail on your holder, since it's self-made. I will figure out a way to connect my Hasselblad ProShade to the Alpa Max body. There are threaded holes on the sides where one could connect a hotshoe, an arm, etc.

best,
ethan

jng

Hi Ethan,

While many of us prefer to minimize the weight hanging off the lens's front element group, I think that many if not most square filter holder systems are far heavier and bulkier than the Hasselblad Pro lens shade by the time they are loaded up with the filters. For whatever reason I find myself with three versions of the Pro lens shade :loco: even though I've reverted to using screw-on metal lens shades on my Rodie 40 and 70 when not using the square filters, mainly to save space in the bag. Otherwise I suppose I could use (one of my) Pro lens shade(s) with the 67mm threaded adapter. I might have an extra adapter lying around for the original version - PM me if you're looking for one.

With all that said, Jurgen's custom-made lens shade holder is very elegant indeed. :thumbup:

John

epforever

Hi Ethan,

While many of us prefer to minimize the weight hanging off the lens's front element group, I think that many if not most square filter holder systems are far heavier and bulkier than the Hasselblad Pro lens shade by the time they are loaded up with the filters. For whatever reason I find myself with three versions of the Pro lens shade :loco: even though I've reverted to using screw-on metal lens shades on my Rodie 40 and 70 when not using the square filters, mainly to save space in the bag. Otherwise I suppose I could use (one of my) Pro lens shade(s) with the 67mm threaded adapter. I might have an extra adapter lying around for the original version - PM me if you're looking for one.

With all that said, Jurgen's custom-made lens shade holder is very elegant indeed. :thumbup:

John

Thanks, John. What screw-on lens shades are you using?

I'll PM you.

jng

Thanks, John. What screw-on lens shades are you using?
I use the ones that were made for the old SWC and 50/60mm Distagon (all C lenses). The former sits on my Rodie 40HR and I use a step-ring to mate the latter to my Rodie 70HR, and both are covered with Schneider push-on lens caps that can be purchased from Capture Integration or B&H. I know that a compendium lens shade would be more effective but there's only so many pieces of kit I can manage in the field...

John

EDIT: I use the old Hasselblad screw-on lens shades because I happened to have them already and decided to put them to use. I imagine that rubber collapsible lens shades would work just as well or even better.

Last edited:

epforever

I use the ones that were made for the old SWC and 50/60mm Distagon (all C lenses). The former sits on my Rodie 40HR and I use a step-ring to mate the latter to my Rodie 70HR, and both are covered with Schneider push-on lens caps that can be purchased from Capture Integration or B&H. I know that a compendium lens shade would be more effective but there's only so many pieces of kit I can manage in the field...

John

EDIT: I use the old Hasselblad screw-on lens shades because I happened to have them already and decided to put them to use. I imagine that rubber collapsible lens shades would work just as well or even better.

Interesting info. The SWC shade I have is Bay 60, so I don't think it will fit my 67mm lenses, even with an adapter (it would need a step-down ring). Incredibly, I can't find a single step-up ring to connect my ProShade to a 67mm filter threading. There are no 67mm to Bay 70 rings, and there are no adapter rings that connect to a 93mm ring at all. I will check into the collapsible hoods.

Thanks again
ethan

jng

Hopefully this will work, but if I recall correctly, the lens shade Bay60/70 adapters attach to the outer flanges of the lens, but most if not all m67-Bay adapters are missing these?

Ah, found that one. That would work. It's a bit pricey. Going to see if I can find another solution first.

Thank you.

epforever

Hopefully this will work, but if I recall correctly, the lens shade Bay60/70 adapters attach to the outer flanges of the lens, but most if not all m67-Bay adapters are missing these?

Just checked it out with my Bay 60 adapter. Yes, you are correct. And thus it won't work with the Heliopan adapter ring. I think the answer is a 67mm collapsible rubber hood, or if John can find a 67mm adapter for the older ProShade.

danlindberg

The police found part of the theft in my house three weeks ago. At the bottom of a lake......4 lenses, one DB and the Max body. The rest is still missing. Three weeks in muddy water :banghead::cussing:

Shashin

The police found part of the theft in my house three weeks ago. At the bottom of a lake......4 lenses, one DB and the Max body. The rest is still missing. Three weeks in muddy water :banghead::cussing:
I hope the police found the bodies of the thieves at the bottom of the lake with them...

danlindberg

In Marbella, Spain. Schuster, I have explained it a little bit more in the 'Stolen' thread as to not be too much off topic in this thread :thumbup:

drunkenspyder

Playing around with the Zeiss Otus lenses on the Cambo, using a Fotodiox Pro Nikon-->EOS adapter, attached to the Cambo Canon lens board [apparently securely], and then the 1600. Benno was courteous and helpful in my consideration of his Alpa Nikon adapter on my STC, but in the end, I decided to stay with the Cambo approach. The Otus 28 cannot get to infinity, and since one of the reasons to try this is to get a larger aperture lens on the IQ4.150 for night time and star field shooting, that's a non-starter. The 55 appears very close to infinity, but I need a clear night to be confident of that. Haven't tried the 85 yet. Resolution and detail are excellent, even at 400%, and while the image circle ain't exactly grandiose, I still get a 95mpx image after aggressive cropping.
IMG_2067.jpgIMG_2068.jpgIMG_2070.jpgIMG_2069.jpg