Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Show us your Tech Cam

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Show us your Tech Cam

I just shot the AE model in my studio so thought I would also photograph mine.

Cambo WRS 1000 with SK 35mm XL lens with the Alpa ring for it. I also had a special sync cable made at Paramount Cords a PC 6 inch straight to 2.5 mini plug. I orginially wanted to run this through the bottom of my grip but the plug is to fat for that so I put on the bottom in the tripod thread it runs to the top the hole so I wedged a piece of irrigation PVC pipe in there to hold my sync cable and cable release back so no wires are floating out in La La land . Nice and tight ready to shoot and I set this up for handheld work as well. I also have a Leica 21mm finder and even through wrong aspect ratio i am really after the width when shooting for just a quick guide. I also have a CF filter attached as well. I'm ready to shoot.

Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Show us your Tech Cam

BTW if you look closely at the first image that is the Slidefix 32x32 plate from Arca Swiss very small and very tightly on the Cambo. Love it

I also use a Arca Swiss lever release attached to a Z1 ball head.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You'll also see the ALPA HPF focusing ring, and the Mancuso/Paramount sync cable.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

not so medusa-like, eh?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That is just a sexy beast, Guy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yea it really is a nice tech cam and getting the wiring out of the way is my way of working. I hate cables. Only downside with zero latency is I will eat batteries. I have 6 so should not run into trouble. The other is heat as if the sensor gets too warm than I could introduce noise. So power down and auto off are part of the workflow. But I have to admit it is pretty dang sexy looking. The nice thing is I can work very fast and it won't get in my way. That is a biggy for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jlm View Post
    not so medusa-like, eh?

Lol , John pretty soon you will be looking very similar on the back side of that. You will love the IQ 160

Post Thanks / Like

Guy, the cabling is nothing short of brilliant. Good looking setup! With the Cambo/160 if you take a shot that's not level it's got to be operator error!

Not sure what you took the photos with, but whatever it was you sure know how to use it

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Me handheld canon.LOL

My back was being used

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

In truth I went to camera collector store here in Phx went through 2 big boxes of Cable releases and found 3 I liked . 6 dollars

I love the PVC trick I found from my irrigation system. I cut 5 of them and put them in my bag. Btw the bag I have is a Think Tank speed freak. Holds Cambo rig with lens and back and two lenses stacked. Pretty cool

http://www.thinktankphoto.com/produc...-freak-v2.aspx

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    I just shot the AE model in my studio so thought I would also photograph mine.

Cambo WRS 1000 with SK 35mm XL lens with the Alpa ring for it. I also had a special sync cable made at Paramount Cords a PC 6 inch straight to 2.5 mini plug. I orginially wanted to run this through the bottom of my grip but the plug is to fat for that so I put on the bottom in the tripod thread it runs to the top the hole so I wedged a piece of irrigation PVC pipe in there to hold my sync cable and cable release back so no wires are floating out in La La land . Nice and tight ready to shoot and I set this up for handheld work as well. I also have a Leica 21mm finder and even through wrong aspect ratio i am really after the width when shooting for just a quick guide. I also have a CF filter attached as well. I'm ready to shoot.

Guy - No one shoots gear the way you do. These are sensational images.

Do you use the center filter hand held?

I agree on the Leica viewfinder - since I switched to the Frankfinder my framing accuracy has improved a lot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes i do Woody . Its not to bad around 1/60 outside but I am finding the CF helps a lot. The vignetting is pretty heavy on this lens and maybe more than anything doing the LCC are coming up a lot smoother and i can really get out there like 17mm with the 160. Save area is around 15mm in either direction. The nice thing is my skies are even going across even without a LCC but there is a color shift for sure so the LCC are pretty much needed. I have been watching your images and they have been coming up really nice. So I am still playing around with the filter on and off but being on seems the best overall.

BTW thanks for the compliment. If I have a claim to fame for anything it would be lighting. Here I used 4 lights.

I do wish I shot these with the 160. LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Guy, great looking bit of kit.

Do you think the Alpa HPF ring would fit on my Cambo WDS SK 35mm XL lens?

Also do you have other lenses as well, and if so what did you choose?

mal

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes that is the same lens I have is the SK 35mm XL . They run around 320 dollars

No other lenses yet of my own but I would not mind going 35,60,120 for a 3 lens kit and a TS on the 60.

If I went 4 lens kit than I would go 28,43,72,120. TS on 43 and 72

I do have in my hand right now to play with for a road trip a Rodenstock 32mm and a SK 43 TS lens. I leave in the morning and will post images from them. The 32mm is a big lens. Look at this thread as i also took shots of the Anniversary Model of the Cambo with the 43 and 32 lens on it. You can get a good idea of the size of it.

Honestly and i have been thinking about this for about 3 years now and i just can't pull the trigger on it but sell all my DF kit and go tech cam those 4 lenses than have a high end Canon/Nikon/Sony for the everything else. I just can't seem to make up my mind on it. The one thing also stopping me is there is nothing in 35mm i truly want at all right now. Same old stuff. But Im in no hurry either and love my DF kit but really would love to go all tech cam. I guess if i had a ton of money to burn i would just go buy 3 tech lenses. After the purchase of the IQ 160 it is not a easy task to throw more money at this right now. LOL

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30003

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Gosh. This is a fantastic photo, Guy. Makes me wanna run out to buy the Cambo immediately. Truly magnificent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    ...so I put on the bottom in the tripod thread it runs to the top the hole so I wedged a piece of irrigation PVC pipe in there to hold my sync cable and cable release back so no wires are floating out in La La land.
    Guy,

Excellent job of cable routing (in addition to the absolutely stunning images of the camera). When you refer to "a piece of irrigation PVC pipe", is this what you're referring to? If so, how is it attached to the camera body itself (for handheld use)? Just curious.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That's it Joe not very elegant but it works . The tripod socket goes all the way to the top from the bottom so there is a hole there. I cut about a inch riser PVC pipe and wedged it in with cables behind it and it's great. I put a couple extra pieces in my bag in case I lose one. Extremely cheap solution. I could also put a threaded bolt in there with a very small head or no head. Might even go to Ace hardware and see what I can find.

That hole there is a perfect spot to anchor cabling. I hate working with cable all over the place. I can also disconnect the release cable and than reattach outside the grip for those really long exposures so not touching the camera.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

And I thought I was OCD...

Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

LOL . Well ran to ACE Hardware and basically found a bolt the tripod socket 3/8 with no head . Problem is cables will not fit behind it unless I grind down the the threads. Hmmm where is that freaking grinder now.

here is what your looking for in the screw. Get the half inch

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Screw a 3/8ths to 1/4x20 thread reducer in the foot hole -- this is a regular camera tripod reducer -- and then get a 1/4x20 headless allen to go into that and no grinding needed. The 5/8ths or 3/4" long is probably the one you'll want.
    Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well crap that might just work but almost there on filing it down. Looking cool

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Okay I did it but actually Jacks idea might just be better and less work. LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well went back to Ace and got the 1/4 in thread at 3/4 inch and even 1 inch would work put a reducer in and looks great. So there you go and thanks Jack for the tip, good team work. LOL

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

So I realize that this is a very neat cable layout but how the heck do you folks with inverted lenses accurately set exposure with the control down below and essentially out of sight? When I'm shooting LCCs I need to go back and forth on exposure and although I use touch & count clicks back & forth I need to eyeball the control to make sure everything is where I want it at times. Don't you find that tricky with the lens inverted?

Ditto, I've never got on with using the smaller almost invisible aperture indicator on the bottom (top for you) vs the control.

Come to that, what about focus?

I think that maybe the shutter folks need to think about producing a new model with the cable release connecting from below? That would basically almost solve the spaghetti/medusa cabling problems with cables covering the controls you need to use such as exposure, shutter cock and aperture.
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    So I realize that this is a very neat cable layout but how the heck do you folks with inverted lenses accurately set exposure with the control down below and essentially out of sight? When I'm shooting LCCs I need to go back and forth on exposure and although I use touch & count clicks back & forth I need to eyeball the control to make sure everything is where I want it at times. Don't you find that tricky with the lens inverted?

Ditto, I've never got on with using the smaller almost invisible aperture indicator on the bottom (top for you) vs the control.

Come to that, what about focus?

I think that maybe the shutter folks need to think about producing a new model with the cable release connecting from below? That would basically almost solve the spaghetti/medusa cabling problems with cables covering the controls you need to use such as exposure, shutter cock and aperture.
    Hmmm . . . I actually like the upside down orientation for the lens, but at least on the Alpa version of these lenses there is no focus index mark or depth of field marks on the bottom of the lens. (You can set the HPF ring to any orientation so the distance scale can be in the right place upside down.) Solution?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Woody,

Yes I also like the inverted orientation of the lenses as all cables basically drop away, although in reality it's the cable release that messes things up with the "normal" orientation. It works great with LF and handheld finger release but on tech cams it would work better inverted.

Btw, nice product shots Guy ... I don't need a Cambo but you certainly do make them look sexy

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Graham . Hoping others will show their rigs as well.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

i tend to have eye level above the lens axis enough so i can look down at the settings located on the top of the lens barrel (working on a tripod entirely). the lever for aperture is on the bottom, near the cocker, but there is are duplicate scales for aperture and shutter:
    bottom are the primary marks: aperture has a nice red index, scale on the barrel; shutter has nice red index, marks on the face, set with a full ring
    top: aperture has a dinky metal arrow (still needs to be moved from the bottom); shuitter: same ring, but here the scale is on the barrel

Cambo does not let you mount the lens upside down, but i just flipped the camera and that looks like a better arrangement! only the T/S scales get harder to see

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Shutter, aperture and infinity are fairly easy as you can count shutter blind , aperture is top and bottom and infinity is all the way counterclockwise. It's the darn 50 ft mark (example) that are tough , why I bought the Alpa ring. But I find the Cambo not that complicated and easy to get control of. I also agree with John looking down at is easiest. So camera below you.

Post Thanks / Like

IMHO the sexiest of them all....

Alpa FPS • MAX • TC | Alpagon 32Hr | Helvetar 75 | Schneider 120N | Leaf Aptus II 5 • Leaf Credo 60 | www.danlindberg.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

An other very sexy beast . ROSE WOOD ! ! !

I have no sync solution cable yet . So I have to wakeup the back by using a HASSELBLAD sync release cable seperately additional to the shutter release .
    Perhaps Thierry can finally give a positive feedback , when the short HASSELBLAD type cable will be available .
    Regards . Jürgen .
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Guy has done such a marvelous job of showing the WRS I almost didn't want to include mine but then I thought I'd show what mine looks like after nearly 3 years of steady use. Sure it has a few dings and a couple scratches however I wouldn't want to give it up for anything.

I've decided to show 3-different setups. The first is on top of my heavy tripod where the Cube lives. This setup is heavy. I really don't want to hike out too far with this. The second sample is with a new Feisol CT 3443 tripod that also has a LB-7567 leveling base along with a Really Right Stuff PCL-1 panning clamp. This entire system weights less than 4 pounds and actually slightly less than 3.5 pounds; perfect for hiking out several miles. The leveling base allows for a very quick level of the WRS and the PCL helps keep everything together. I could have gone a simpler route using a ballhead however I've found them to be harder to level; guess I'm spoiled by the Cube.

The 3rd example is a hand-holdable setup where I've changed the shutter release out to a thinner one and threaded through the handle.

This is the hiking setup. Everything is the same except for the tripod.

Finally the hand hold or point-n-shoot...

I'll be using all three variations shortly while staying in WY for the next 2-months.

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jotloob View Post

I have no sync solution cable yet . So I have to wakeup the back by using a HASSELBLAD sync release cable seperately additional to the shutter release .
    Perhaps Thierry can finally give a positive feedback , when the short HASSELBLAD type cable will be available .

I'll admit it - I've had lust in my heart every since I saw the first rose wood handles on an Alpa. Glad Cambo finally woke up!
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, Don, I never thought I'd see someone who is more OCD than you! Guy---you done good. Sweet job on the routing of the wiring. Looks great, I'm jealous. Just need to add those new Cambo wood handles...

Very dangerous thread here indeed....

ken

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think that this thread needs renaming to camera porn ...

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    I think that this thread needs renaming to camera porn ...
    There's a new 900 telephone number with operators standing by to take your credit card info
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kdphotography View Post
    Wow, Don, I never thought I'd see someone who is more OCD than you! Guy---you done good. Sweet job on the routing of the wiring. Looks great, I'm jealous. Just need to add those new Cambo wood handles...

Very dangerous thread here indeed....

ken
    I completely forgot about that small opening at the base! What I'd like to do is replace the cord shown with one half the size. I know I could go the shorted route that Guy has shown however I don't like the idea of 2-cords having to be plugged together like an extension cord. Maybe I see if I can find somewhere to have the cord shorten...

And yes! It's refreshing to know you aren't the only member in the OCD club!

Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Shelby Lewis

Jürgen wins

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Don Libby View Post
    There's a new 900 telephone number with operators standing by to take your credit card info
    Jack

photohagen

absolutely!!!!!! i like the feel and look of this (sw/swa) model over the tc/stc.

rh

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

For those tech camera fans , who can "not afford" two ROSE WOOD grips , here is a camera , which needs only one grip .
    Unfortunately the color of some rose wood grips is a bit faded . But it is a natural material and every grip is unique .

I have now replaced the blue NOVOFLEX and the RRS QR clamps by black modified ARCA QR clamps , which can not twist .

Regards . Jürgen .
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Unfortunately the color of some rose wood grips is a bit faded . But it is a natural material and every grip is unique .
    I don't know that it's faded. My rosewood grip looks identical to yours - that said, if I recall correctly our STC cameras are sequential serial numbers although the grips are a separate item. Maybe Alpa just changed their rosewood finish these days? Either way, they are still really nice to handle and use!

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

sexy!
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Marty

Another cheap single-grip option, without even the shifty bits. But rosewood.

Post Thanks / Like

Jürgen,

Just to give some details on the Alpa Rosewood grips:

They are not faded. Wood is a natural product, as you mentioned it, and as such not identical to each other.

Alpa cameras are not cameras produced in mass-series, with cheap materials. The wood grips are for instance polished without any tracks of machining, finely polished and finished, until being perfect. That finish can be felt when one takes such a grip in the hands, as well how it holds in the hand. These grips have made their proves since over 15 years, when they were first produced.

There are for instance 2 Swiss manufacturers for the grips, for the ALPA 12 WA / ALPA 12 SWA and for the ALPA 12 TC / ALPA 12 STC / ALPA 12 MAX. They are using the wood from the same batch, even from the very same three.

We are even making sure that those threes are coming from a 100% ecological production.

Obviously, the colors can and do differ from one camera to another. But that makes also each Alpa camera unique.

And on a side note, Alpa has also produced some grips with other wood sorts, like beech, oak and ebony, as well as with special materials, for special customer orders.

Thierry

Thierry Hagenauer
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Shelby Lewis View Post
    Jürgen wins
    Thanks Shelby

Is it the first prize ? And if so , what is it ?
    Regards . Jürgen .

Post Thanks / Like

Not really sexy, but damn she can sing:)

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

out of curiosity, aren't there only two conductors needed in the cable between the shutter and the back? doesn't the bulk seem excessive? and the extra connectors?

is this what Guy was tweaking?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think you're right John: the cable connects a "PC" plug at the shutter end to what appears to be a Phase multi-pin plug at the other. Most of the cables we see in the pix have an extra mini-plug (male and female), which some claim avoids the need to plug and unplug the back directly and thus avoids wear and tear on the back itself. The Phase cable I have is less than 3mm OD (see http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showpo...postcount=30); the Paramount cables about 3.5mm.

If someone could find a source of Phase multi-pin plugs, better cables would be easy to produce (though not by me).

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jlm View Post
    out of curiosity, aren't there only two conductors needed in the cable between the shutter and the back? doesn't the bulk seem excessive? and the extra connectors?

is this what Guy was tweaking?
    On the V-Series mounts there is a mini-jack connector built into the adapter plate allowing you to plug a short mini-pc cable or wake up cable right into the back without the multi-connetor to mini adapter.

See image below. I wish they would include this little mini jack on all versions of the back.

I did reach out to the Phase One Hardware Product Manager inquiring about them updating their cable offerings. Since the Phase One cables that are available are designed for View Cameras (very long!) not the more popular solutions from Arca/ALPA/Cambo. He said that it is not something we get a lot of requests for, but he has noted the request and will investigate further possibly in the future. He said thats you can use Zero Latency now on the newer backs....

Its funny when we had to use two-shot we always yearned for a single shot solution, now we have a single shot solution , we are not 100% satisfied with it and want to use two-shot because of battery life, etc.

Lance
    LANCE SCHAD - Digital Transitions - Phase One,Mamiya | Leaf,Arca-Swiss,Cambo, Profoto
    direct/cell:610-496-5586 office:877-367-8537x224
    http://www.digitaltransitions.com email:[email protected]