The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Show us your Tech Cam

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I just shot the AE model in my studio so thought I would also photograph mine.

Cambo WRS 1000 with SK 35mm XL lens with the Alpa ring for it. I also had a special sync cable made at Paramount Cords a PC 6 inch straight to 2.5 mini plug. I orginially wanted to run this through the bottom of my grip but the plug is to fat for that so I put on the bottom in the tripod thread it runs to the top the hole so I wedged a piece of irrigation PVC pipe in there to hold my sync cable and cable release back so no wires are floating out in La La land . Nice and tight ready to shoot and I set this up for handheld work as well. I also have a Leica 21mm finder and even through wrong aspect ratio i am really after the width when shooting for just a quick guide. I also have a CF filter attached as well. I'm ready to shoot.

Guy Mancuso

BTW if you look closely at the first image that is the Slidefix 32x32 plate from Arca Swiss very small and very tightly on the Cambo. Love it

I also use a Arca Swiss lever release attached to a Z1 ball head.

Guy Mancuso

Yea it really is a nice tech cam and getting the wiring out of the way is my way of working. I hate cables. Only downside with zero latency is I will eat batteries. I have 6 so should not run into trouble. The other is heat as if the sensor gets too warm than I could introduce noise. So power down and auto off are part of the workflow. But I have to admit it is pretty dang sexy looking. The nice thing is I can work very fast and it won't get in my way. That is a biggy for me.

Guy, the cabling is nothing short of brilliant. Good looking setup! With the Cambo/160 if you take a shot that's not level it's got to be operator error!

Not sure what you took the photos with, but whatever it was you sure know how to use it :)

Guy Mancuso

In truth I went to camera collector store here in Phx went through 2 big boxes of Cable releases and found 3 I liked . 6 dollars

I love the PVC trick I found from my irrigation system. I cut 5 of them and put them in my bag. Btw the bag I have is a Think Tank speed freak. Holds Cambo rig with lens and back and two lenses stacked. Pretty cool

http://www.thinktankphoto.com/products/speed-freak-v2.aspx

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
I just shot the AE model in my studio so thought I would also photograph mine.

Cambo WRS 1000 with SK 35mm XL lens with the Alpa ring for it. I also had a special sync cable made at Paramount Cords a PC 6 inch straight to 2.5 mini plug. I orginially wanted to run this through the bottom of my grip but the plug is to fat for that so I put on the bottom in the tripod thread it runs to the top the hole so I wedged a piece of irrigation PVC pipe in there to hold my sync cable and cable release back so no wires are floating out in La La land . Nice and tight ready to shoot and I set this up for handheld work as well. I also have a Leica 21mm finder and even through wrong aspect ratio i am really after the width when shooting for just a quick guide. I also have a CF filter attached as well. I'm ready to shoot.

Guy - No one shoots gear the way you do. These are sensational images.

Do you use the center filter hand held?

I agree on the Leica viewfinder - since I switched to the Frankfinder my framing accuracy has improved a lot.

Guy Mancuso

Yes i do Woody . Its not to bad around 1/60 outside but I am finding the CF helps a lot. The vignetting is pretty heavy on this lens and maybe more than anything doing the LCC are coming up a lot smoother and i can really get out there like 17mm with the 160. Save area is around 15mm in either direction. The nice thing is my skies are even going across even without a LCC but there is a color shift for sure so the LCC are pretty much needed. I have been watching your images and they have been coming up really nice. So I am still playing around with the filter on and off but being on seems the best overall.

BTW thanks for the compliment. If I have a claim to fame for anything it would be lighting. Here I used 4 lights.

I do wish I shot these with the 160. LOL

malmac

Guy, great looking bit of kit.

Do you think the Alpa HPF ring would fit on my Cambo WDS SK 35mm XL lens?

Also do you have other lenses as well, and if so what did you choose?

mal

Guy Mancuso

Yes that is the same lens I have is the SK 35mm XL . They run around 320 dollars

No other lenses yet of my own but I would not mind going 35,60,120 for a 3 lens kit and a TS on the 60.

If I went 4 lens kit than I would go 28,43,72,120. TS on 43 and 72

I do have in my hand right now to play with for a road trip a Rodenstock 32mm and a SK 43 TS lens. I leave in the morning and will post images from them. The 32mm is a big lens. Look at this thread as i also took shots of the Anniversary Model of the Cambo with the 43 and 32 lens on it. You can get a good idea of the size of it.

Honestly and i have been thinking about this for about 3 years now and i just can't pull the trigger on it but sell all my DF kit and go tech cam those 4 lenses than have a high end Canon/Nikon/Sony for the everything else. I just can't seem to make up my mind on it. The one thing also stopping me is there is nothing in 35mm i truly want at all right now. Same old stuff. But Im in no hurry either and love my DF kit but really would love to go all tech cam. I guess if i had a ton of money to burn i would just go buy 3 tech lenses. After the purchase of the IQ 160 it is not a easy task to throw more money at this right now. LOL

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30003

P. Chong

Gosh. This is a fantastic photo, Guy. Makes me wanna run out to buy the Cambo immediately. Truly magnificent.

Guy Mancuso

That's it Joe not very elegant but it works . The tripod socket goes all the way to the top from the bottom so there is a hole there. I cut about a inch riser PVC pipe and wedged it in with cables behind it and it's great. I put a couple extra pieces in my bag in case I lose one. Extremely cheap solution. I could also put a threaded bolt in there with a very small head or no head. Might even go to Ace hardware and see what I can find.

That hole there is a perfect spot to anchor cabling. I hate working with cable all over the place. I can also disconnect the release cable and than reattach outside the grip for those really long exposures so not touching the camera.

Guy Mancuso

LOL . Well ran to ACE Hardware and basically found a bolt the tripod socket 3/8 with no head . Problem is cables will not fit behind it unless I grind down the the threads. Hmmm where is that freaking grinder now.

here is what your looking for in the screw. Get the half inch

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Screw a 3/8ths to 1/4x20 thread reducer in the foot hole -- this is a regular camera tripod reducer -- and then get a 1/4x20 headless allen to go into that and no grinding needed. The 5/8ths or 3/4" long is probably the one you'll want.