The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

AFD III Troubles....

S

Shelby Lewis

Hey All,

I sold Oren Grad my AFD-III about a week or so ago... it arrived and is having some probs. Sounds like something went wrong in shipping and it's gonna be refund time, but I wanted to put the symptoms past you guys to see if you recognize what's going on just to make sure it isn't something simple and obvious for a non-film-shooting guy like myself.

This is with a film back, something I never shot it with:

From Mr. Grad: "I've put in a set of batteries, attached a film back and given it a once-over. There is one apparent issue: when the shutter release is pressed, the camera body makes a loud whirring sound, and the shutter won't release until the sound is over. This happens in every focus mode, including manual, it happens with different lenses, it happens with the mirror up, and it even happens when there's no lens mounted at all.

Apart from the noise, this has the effect of increasing the shutter lag to about one second - again, regardless of mode."

I never experienced anything like this, so I'm at a loss.

I said to pull the batteries and then do a custom function reset... but it sounds like something else is amiss. Since I never shot it with a film back, I can't speak to how that might be the problem.

Any thoughts before we do the re-exchange? BTW... shipped UPS, if that makes any difference (as far as shipping damage).
Shelby

S

Shelby Lewis

I do wonder if the "film advance with half shutter" custom function is enabled... and with no film in the back it's trying to advance to the first frame before shooting.

That, or possibly having the pressure plate set for the wrong film type (or shooting with no film in the back).

Just some thoughts,
Shelby

kdphotography

It might be better to instead have Oren Grad send the camera body directly to Mamiya NY for a diagnosis. If it's user-error, it will be disclosed. If it's internal damage from shipping, then you'll have "proof" from Mamiya to submit to UPS for insurance coverage for repairs. If the body was DOA for other reasons, you'd have to have it repaired anyway....

The whirring noise "when there's no lens mounted at all" has me stumped... Sound not from the filmback, so not the drive motor; I don't think it's filmback related.

ken

S

Shelby Lewis

The whirring noise "when there's no lens mounted at all" has me stumped... Sound not from the filmback, so not the drive motor; I don't think it's filmback related.

ken
There was no mention as to whether it was from the film back or not, so I'm unclear. It sounds like an AF motor noise, but who knows.

Thanks

kdphotography

definitely need to load it up with film.

Motor drive (filmback) makes a distinct whirring, but obviously after shutter is tripped to advance the film.

Other whirring noise I've heard that it can be from the focusing gear, but that's with the lens mounted...

Check batteries again? Installed correctly (polarity) in the carriage?

Oren Grad

Thanks to Shelby for his PMs with suggestions of things to check and also Ken for your ideas. I'm going to run a few more tests and will report back. Stay tuned...

Oren Grad

Happy ending, folks. I found an expired roll of 120 film and loaded it. That fixed the problem.

Evidently what was happening was that with the empty film back mounted, the camera was trying to load a non-existent roll of film every time I pressed the shutter release - the sound was that of the film advance motor whining as it tried to move the missing film.

I'm delighted and relieved, though embarrassed to have caused Shelby a headache over this just because of my own lack of knowledge. :eek: My next post is going to be to the positive feedback thread. Without going into the details of his PMs in response to my concerns, I'll just say that a buyer couldn't ask for better support from a seller. :thumbs:

Last edited:
S

Shelby Lewis

Awww.... :thumbs: to you, Oren.

Last edited:

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Evidently what was happening was that with the empty film back mounted, the camera was trying to load a non-existent roll of film every time I pressed the shutter release - the sound was that of the film advance motor whining as it tried to move the missing film.
Darn I wish I would have seen this post before all the drama passed!

I coulda told you that!

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

Masters Series Workshop:
New England Landscape - Fall Color (Oct 5-8)