The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Brooklyn Rumblers

jlm

Workshop Member
a couple of m8, 28 cron shots

i was having a devil of a time with exposures range with the blad, i'm surprised they came out as well as they did.

woodyspedden

Hi John

Wonderful series. Must be exciting living in Brooklyn where it would seem more metal bending goes on than almost anywhere else in the USA

Congratulations. You and the 205TCC and the CFV have become fast friends it would seem.

woody

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
John need to come to South Phoenix. We got some pretty heavy low riders down here. May not get home alive but may see some nice cars.:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

fotografz

I had similar issues when shooting my car series last weekend John ... the trick is to underexpose a tad to hold the highlight detail especially in the chrome near any specular highlight ... and use Phocus to lift the shadow areas ... while adjusting the Dark Limit in sharpening to control noise.

In extreme cases, for worthy images, process it twice, layer in PS, and blend the two.

jlm

Workshop Member
Marc:
i try to judge exposure with the histogram, but it is unspecific about where the over-exposure might be in the image, unless you enable that irritating, blinking overexposed function. the image size on the back is too small to really analyse and the spot meter function requires you know the dynamic range you can get away with.

any tips for the on-camera exposure measuring?

thanks

PSon

Marc, Interesting that you bring up the topic on exposure. I am very interested to see how the Hasselblad 203FE (average) versus 205TCC/FCC (spot) metering works in difficult scene like the one John is shooting and on digital crop factor sensor. I believe that there are advantages to spot metering especially built into the camera like the 205TCC/FCC. In the case of crop factor sensor with camera average metering, the average light metered may no longer represent the image areas that is intended to capture. In an average scenery the effect may not seen but in more challenging scene perhaps the average meter is off. In the case of difficult scenery, light metering without studio strobes or other flash to aid may be difficult; in this case spot metered the bright and the dark areas must be within the DR of the sensor.

Jim, since Marc does not have the spot metering camera and you do perhaps you should look into the spot zone metering of the 205TCC. There are two books for your 205TCC. One is called Zone Photography in Black/White where they illustrate how you can shoot this difficult scene and other book titled Zone Photography in Colour. If you cannot find these two books let me know and I can help you. I believe if you study this two simple books they will help you to take your 205TCC to another level.

Best Regards,
Son

fotografz

Son, I would agree ... in very difficult circumstances, a spot meter can be invaluable ... which is most certainly why Hasselblad offered that option in their flagship 200 series camera.

I've found that both the add-on prism meters and the meter in the 203FE to be among the best I've used ... of the averaging type. It just takes care in where you meter. I've used a 203FE for so long now, I pretty much have it down pat.

PSon

Son, I would agree ... in very difficult circumstances, a spot meter can be invaluable ... which is most certainly why Hasselblad offered that option in their flagship 200 series camera.

I've found that both the add-on prism meters and the meter in the 203FE to be among the best I've used ... of the averaging type. It just takes care in where you meter. I've used a 203FE for so long now, I pretty much have it down pat.
hi Marc,
Yes I agree with the 203FE camera concept and thus bought one last week as well and sent it to Hasselblad to get it converted to complement my 205TCC and 205FCC. The metering on these Hasselblad 200 series cameras are among the best I have seen. I also plan to buy the new P45 Metering prism with the ambient light dome.

best regards,
-Son