Site Sponsors

Thread: how to use a ColorChecker Digital SG with C1 ?

Post Thanks / Like

how to use a ColorChecker Digital SG with C1 ?

is there a way to use it in order to profile the camera ?

or can i use an other software (lightroom ?) to make the profile and importing it to C1 ?

dwhistance

Re: how to use a ColorChecker Digital SG with C1 ?

I am not aware of a way of using it directly in C1 (but would be interested to find out if there is one!). You need a product such as Xrite's i1Match or similar with the camera profiling switched on. You may be able to find an operational trial that will allow you to produce a working profile but many of the software providers specifically prevent this. I have continued to use i1 Match for producing camera profiles for years, despite supposedly superior products being made available, as I refuse to buy software I have been unable to trial first.

David Whistance

Post Thanks / Like

Besides Xrite's i1match there is a plug-in for Photoshop called "inCamera plug-in" from Pictoclor to generate an ICC profile and another plug-in "iCorrect EditLab Pro plug-in" to edit or modify it. This ICC profile can then be used in C1 as well.

Regards,
    Udo

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by archivue View Post
    is there a way to use it in order to profile the camera ?

or can i use an other software (lightroom ?) to make the profile and importing it to C1 ?
    You will either need to do it by hand (using the color editor) or build the profile using an external tool.

To use an external tool, process the image in Capture One by embedding the color profile. Which profile you use is not important, since it is embedded and the profiler should ignore it. I would strongly recommend testing that with whatever software you use by using a completely weird profile as well as a reasonable one.

The profile will depend on the film curve, so do select it appropriately. If you want a profile that measures well, use a linear film curve.

Word of warning: while you should be able to get the Lab coordinates to match the theoretic values extremely well, an overemphasis on theoretical accuracy is almost guaranteed to result in ugly photos. Some people simply trust colorimeters more than eyeballs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EsbenHR View Post
    Word of warning: while you should be able to get the Lab coordinates to match the theoretic values extremely well, an overemphasis on theoretical accuracy is almost guaranteed to result in ugly photos. Some people simply trust colorimeters more than eyeballs.
    yes i know, this is just for a special purpose...

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by EsbenHR View Post
    You will either need to do it by hand (using the color editor) or build the profile using an external tool.
    Just to clarify, in C1 if you use the color editor tool you CAN save the resultant adjusted color settings as an independent icc profile, and C1 will allow you to apply it as your camera profile.
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like

Jack, that is a very useful snippet of knowledge!