The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mirror Up No DB

cs750

I was changing lens on my 645DF (IQ180) and now no matter what I do I get "no db" when I press the shutter button. I have the most recent firmware and all has been well in the past. I know we had some posts on this subject, but can't find them. Can anyone point me the right direction? Charles

cs750

Problem solved: Dave at CI suggested taking lens of, db 180 of remove all batteries, then put everything back and then batteries, and that solved the problem. I knew it was something like that, but could not find previous posts on that subject. Thanks everyone. Charles

johnnygoesdigital

This is the second time i've read about this issue with the new DB's. Is this a one time re-set, or something that has to be performed each time?

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
This is the second time i've read about this issue with the new DB's. Is this a one time re-set, or something that has to be performed each time?
Phase is aware of a bug that can cause this problem. I have one customer who has had it happen several times; otherwise we've only seen it once per back. I suspect that one customer has a separate issue with a similar symptom and we're working with him now to isolate and solve the issue.

Phase reports that fixing this bug is their current #1 priority.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

Masters Series Workshop:
New England Landscape - Fall Color (Oct 5-8)

alan_w_george

This happens to me on my ADFII with the IQ180 all the time. Taking the back off the camera and then replacing the battery with a different one seems to resolve it. Pulling out and reinserting the same battery does not resolve it for me (maybe leaving it out for a while would work). Once the back gets in this condition, it will not work (take an exposure) even on a tech camera until the battery is replaced. Always having the back on when turning on or off the camera seems to help avoid the problem. The first time this happened it was very inconvenient, but 15 minutes of try this and try that, I figured it out. If you put the back on the camera, and the mirror doesn't click closed, then you know you've got the problem. My firmware version is 1.34 (from factory) which is one higher than what is available from the P1 website (1.33), not sure what that means if anything.

BTW, aren't we over due on a firmware update? I need tethered camera control and capture pilot. And would like to try composition mode on tech camera (for adjusting exposure and WB and not consuming an exposure that I have to then delete). Maybe I shouldn't assume, will you be able to set WB in composition mode?

cs750

My impression is that it is not whether a different battery or batteries are put back into the camera and DB Back, but whether all current is taken off the camera, lens, and back; once that is done and the batteries are re-inserted into the camera and db back the problem seems to self correct. I have had this take place once with the original firmware (1.19) and it had never repeated under 1.33 until today. At the time this happened today I was in the process of putting a Mamiya 300 mm lens on the camera and had some difficultly getting the lens to seat properly due to the foot of the lens preventing the lens from fully "clicking" into the camera. It is possible that I turned the back and/or camera on BEFORE getting the lens properly seated, and that this could have impacted the situation. There may be an operator error factor here...but I am sure Phase will want to protect us from ourselves in this regard. In any event to the extent that my possible admissions may help point toward a complete solution...it is now public. Charles

Last edited:

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
BTW, aren't we over due on a firmware update? I need tethered camera control and capture pilot.
We are indeed over-due for the August firmware update. I have no inside information here, but the previous firmware update was approximately one month; I'm using that as my benchmark for expectations on when this one will make it out the door.

I'm personally looking forward to the support for the UDMA7 spec so that we can get the most performance out of some of the new crazy-fast CF cards on the market.

USB being enabled will also be a big deal for a small subset of users that want to tether but don't want to carry a full sized laptop or use a desktop.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

Masters Series Workshop:
New England Landscape - Fall Color (Oct 5-8)

cs750

Addendum To Mirror/No DB Issue: I believe that the process Dave suggested or that I attempted to follow was: (1) Turn the Back and Camera off (2) Remove batteries from camera (3) remove battery from DB Back (4)Remove the Back (5) remove the lens (6) place all hardware back on the camera, then re-insert the batteries (7) turn on the DB Back, then the camera. In my instance when I turned on the Back it immediately corrected. Charles

Last edited:

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Addendum To Mirror/No DB Issue: I believe that the process Dave suggested or that I attempted to follow was: (1) Turn the Back and Camera off (2) Remove batteries from camera (3) remove battery from DB Back (4)Remove the Back (5) remove the lens (6) place all hardware back on the camera, then re-insert the batteries (7) turn on the DB Back, then the camera. In my instance when I turned on the Back it immediately corrected. Charles
Waiting 30-90 seconds between (5) and (6) is advisable.

cs750

Tim, I have no expertise on this but my guess is that the act of re-installing the firmware may have in some way achieved something similar to a disruption of the current status in the Back & Camera. Both times with me (even under version 1.19) there was the sense on my part that I had done something with a lens that did not feel exactly the way things normally felt. I am not taking the blame for anything...just saying that the only two times it happened to me their was a vague sense that I had done something with a lens that did not feel exactly normal...nothing major...just something subtle....that I cannot really describe. Thankfully, others I am sure will solve this mystery. Charles

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
My IQ180 does this frequently, including the other day when it kept opening/closing repeatedly as fast as it could go. The only thing that fixes it for me is removing / reattaching the back. I was standing waist deep in water taking a shot and had to do this in Zions narrows last weekend - having my camera there was bad enough, and now of course I realize how stupid I was to not find a spot out of the stream before I did it, but the camera was literally going nuts on me so I panicked a little.

I've been unable to solve it, tried firmware re-installs, cleaning contacts, etc.