Site Sponsors

Thread: Mirror Up No DB

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Mirror Up No DB

I was changing lens on my 645DF (IQ180) and now no matter what I do I get "no db" when I press the shutter button. I have the most recent firmware and all has been well in the past. I know we had some posts on this subject, but can't find them. Can anyone point me the right direction? Charles

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mirror Up No DB

Hey Charles, what worked for me was to reinstall the current firmware even though what I had was up to date.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Also pull batteries and let it sit out awhile from the camera.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Problem solved: Dave at CI suggested taking lens of, db 180 of remove all batteries, then put everything back and then batteries, and that solved the problem. I knew it was something like that, but could not find previous posts on that subject. Thanks everyone. Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I had the most recent firmware....so, it was not that earlier firmware issue. Thanks.

Senior Member johnnygoesdigital's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

This is the second time i've read about this issue with the new DB's. Is this a one time re-set, or something that has to be performed each time?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Only happened once to me, never again.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like

That's good to know...thanks

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by johnnygoesdigital View Post
    This is the second time i've read about this issue with the new DB's. Is this a one time re-set, or something that has to be performed each time?
    Phase is aware of a bug that can cause this problem. I have one customer who has had it happen several times; otherwise we've only seen it once per back. I suspect that one customer has a separate issue with a similar symptom and we're working with him now to isolate and solve the issue.

Phase reports that fixing this bug is their current #1 priority.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
    Phase One Partner of the Year
    Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
    Newsletter | RSS Feed
    Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

Masters Series Workshop:
    New England Landscape - Fall Color (Oct 5-8)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Doug for that update.

Post Thanks / Like

This happens to me on my ADFII with the IQ180 all the time. Taking the back off the camera and then replacing the battery with a different one seems to resolve it. Pulling out and reinserting the same battery does not resolve it for me (maybe leaving it out for a while would work). Once the back gets in this condition, it will not work (take an exposure) even on a tech camera until the battery is replaced. Always having the back on when turning on or off the camera seems to help avoid the problem. The first time this happened it was very inconvenient, but 15 minutes of try this and try that, I figured it out. If you put the back on the camera, and the mirror doesn't click closed, then you know you've got the problem. My firmware version is 1.34 (from factory) which is one higher than what is available from the P1 website (1.33), not sure what that means if anything.

BTW, aren't we over due on a firmware update? I need tethered camera control and capture pilot. And would like to try composition mode on tech camera (for adjusting exposure and WB and not consuming an exposure that I have to then delete). Maybe I shouldn't assume, will you be able to set WB in composition mode?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Only happened once to me, never again.
    Same for me - 1,000 exposures later and the problem has not recurred.
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My impression is that it is not whether a different battery or batteries are put back into the camera and DB Back, but whether all current is taken off the camera, lens, and back; once that is done and the batteries are re-inserted into the camera and db back the problem seems to self correct. I have had this take place once with the original firmware (1.19) and it had never repeated under 1.33 until today. At the time this happened today I was in the process of putting a Mamiya 300 mm lens on the camera and had some difficultly getting the lens to seat properly due to the foot of the lens preventing the lens from fully "clicking" into the camera. It is possible that I turned the back and/or camera on BEFORE getting the lens properly seated, and that this could have impacted the situation. There may be an operator error factor here...but I am sure Phase will want to protect us from ourselves in this regard. In any event to the extent that my possible admissions may help point toward a complete solution...it is now public. Charles
    Last edited by cs750; 12th September 2011 at 16:56. Reason: clarifying my intent

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by alan_w_george View Post
    BTW, aren't we over due on a firmware update? I need tethered camera control and capture pilot.
    We are indeed over-due for the August firmware update. I have no inside information here, but the previous firmware update was approximately one month; I'm using that as my benchmark for expectations on when this one will make it out the door.

I'm personally looking forward to the support for the UDMA7 spec so that we can get the most performance out of some of the new crazy-fast CF cards on the market.

USB being enabled will also be a big deal for a small subset of users that want to tether but don't want to carry a full sized laptop or use a desktop.

Newsletter | RSS Feed

Masters Series Workshop:

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Addendum To Mirror/No DB Issue: I believe that the process Dave suggested or that I attempted to follow was: (1) Turn the Back and Camera off (2) Remove batteries from camera (3) remove battery from DB Back (4)Remove the Back (5) remove the lens (6) place all hardware back on the camera, then re-insert the batteries (7) turn on the DB Back, then the camera. In my instance when I turned on the Back it immediately corrected. Charles
    Last edited by cs750; 12th September 2011 at 17:04. Reason: typo

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by cs750 View Post
    Addendum To Mirror/No DB Issue: I believe that the process Dave suggested or that I attempted to follow was: (1) Turn the Back and Camera off (2) Remove batteries from camera (3) remove battery from DB Back (4)Remove the Back (5) remove the lens (6) place all hardware back on the camera, then re-insert the batteries (7) turn on the DB Back, then the camera. In my instance when I turned on the Back it immediately corrected. Charles
    Waiting 30-90 seconds between (5) and (6) is advisable.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dougpetersonci View Post
    Waiting 30-90 seconds between (5) and (6) is advisable.
    That was the main thing (brief wait) to correct the the situation for me. It's only happened one time (knock on wood).

ken

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Tim, I have no expertise on this but my guess is that the act of re-installing the firmware may have in some way achieved something similar to a disruption of the current status in the Back & Camera. Both times with me (even under version 1.19) there was the sense on my part that I had done something with a lens that did not feel exactly the way things normally felt. I am not taking the blame for anything...just saying that the only two times it happened to me their was a vague sense that I had done something with a lens that did not feel exactly normal...nothing major...just something subtle....that I cannot really describe. Thankfully, others I am sure will solve this mystery. Charles

Post Thanks / Like

upgrade?...hmmm.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My IQ180 does this frequently, including the other day when it kept opening/closing repeatedly as fast as it could go. The only thing that fixes it for me is removing / reattaching the back. I was standing waist deep in water taking a shot and had to do this in Zions narrows last weekend - having my camera there was bad enough, and now of course I realize how stupid I was to not find a spot out of the stream before I did it, but the camera was literally going nuts on me so I panicked a little.

I've been unable to solve it, tried firmware re-installs, cleaning contacts, etc.
    wayne
    My gallery

gmerrell

I think it is more a camera body issue than a back issue. My AFDII did it with a ZD back and with a P30 back. My AFDIII did it with a P45 back, and now my DF does it with my 180 back. I have about 1500 actuations on my 180 back and this has happened at least four times. Removing all the batteries for a few seconds usually fixes it. Sometimes a second attempt is required. It is real annoying,of course it never happens at a convenient time. I have never had an issue with the backs on my Cambo 1000. Phase desperately needs to come out with a much improved shooting platform.

Greg

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Fox View Post
    My IQ180 does this frequently, including the other day when it kept opening/closing repeatedly as fast as it could go. The only thing that fixes it for me is removing / reattaching the back. I was standing waist deep in water taking a shot and had to do this in Zions narrows last weekend - having my camera there was bad enough, and now of course I realize how stupid I was to not find a spot out of the stream before I did it, but the camera was literally going nuts on me so I panicked a little.

I've been unable to solve it, tried firmware re-installs, cleaning contacts, etc.
    That sounds like a very different and more serious problem. I'd speak to your dealer to arrange an inspection/repair/replacement.

Newsletter | RSS Feed

Masters Series Workshop:

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by gmerrell View Post
    I think it is more a camera body issue than a back issue. My AFDII did it with a ZD back and with a P30 back. My AFDIII did it with a P45 back, and now my DF does it with my 180 back. I have about 1500 actuations on my 180 back and this has happened at least four times. Removing all the batteries for a few seconds usually fixes it. Sometimes a second attempt is required. It is real annoying,of course it never happens at a convenient time. I have never had an issue with the backs on my Cambo 1000. Phase desperately needs to come out with a much improved shooting platform.
    Greg: hadn't heard from you about it happening four times!

Re: body vs. back it's a complicated question because the error "No DB" simply means the body and back aren't in communication. In my experience with the ZD it was more likely the ZD than the AFDII. In my experience with the P45 and AFDIII it was more likely the AFDIII and in this case the IQ/DF it's very specifically the back firmware.

Once Phase updates the IQ firmware to address it I have realistic expectations that it will be fixed. That said, "No DB" may appear for other reasons (unclean contacts, low or poor-quality batteries etc).

Newsletter | RSS Feed

Masters Series Workshop:

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This happens to me on my ADFII with the IQ180 all the time.
    Note that the AFDII is not a supported camera for the IQ. The Mamiya AFDIII and Phase One AF/DF are the only supported cameras.

Newsletter | RSS Feed

Masters Series Workshop:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dougpetersonci View Post
    Note that the AFDII is not a supported camera for the IQ. The Mamiya AFDIII and Phase One AF/DF are the only supported cameras.
    News to me. Should I expect camera control not to work with upcoming firmware update? Or anything else? So far ADFII seems to work with the IQ180 (other than the "no DB" issue that can be worked around). I mainly use a tech camera and my SLR needs are simple, I was hoping NOT to have to waste money on an ADFIII or Phase DF before the new SLR was released. That would be a bit of salt in the wound.

EDIT: Pages 117 and 118 of the User Guide mention using the ADFII with IQ backs. This leads me to believe the AFDII is supported to some degree.
    Last edited by alan_w_george; 14th September 2011 at 14:49.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

So since I mentioned how "bright" I was disconnecting my back while standing waist deep in water, my son in law just emailed this picture he snapped of me and my former partner which was taken shortly after that lapse of good sense ...

Attachment 48753
    Last edited by Wayne Fox; 14th September 2011 at 20:30.
    wayne
    My gallery

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

News to me. Should I expect camera control not to work with upcoming firmware update? Or anything else? So far ADFII seems to work with the IQ180 (other than the "no DB" issue that can be worked around). I mainly use a tech camera and my SLR needs are simple, I was hoping NOT to have to waste money on an ADFIII or Phase DF before the new SLR was released. That would be a bit of salt in the wound.

EDIT: Pages 117 and 118 of the User Guide mention using the ADFII with IQ backs. This leads me to believe the AFDII is supported to some degree.
    AFDII is not officially supported by the IQ. That doesn't mean it doesn't or won't work; it's just not a supported body and therefore not part of the R+D development or testing. When they add features they may or may not work on bodies which are not supported.

The references on pages 117 and 118 appear to be relics of copy/pasting pervious body's user manuals. As noted on page 80 and throughout the marketing materials the AF (aka AFDIII) and DF bodies are the only Mamiya/Phase bodies officially supported. I will point out those references to Phase to clean up or clarify.

Newsletter | RSS Feed

Masters Series Workshop:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Fox View Post
    .... I was disconnecting my back while standing waist deep in water....Attachment 48753
    "Wayne is muy Macho...."

Sometimes the quick behind the scenes shots are the ones that become priceless.

ken

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Firmware 1.47 for the IQ has been released addressing the "no db" error experienced by several on this thread:

http://www.phaseone.com/en/Downloads...-Firmware.aspx

Free and easy to install. Contact your dealers if you have any questions.

Newsletter | RSS Feed

Masters Series Workshop:

Post Thanks / Like

That is great news as it was becoming quite annoying. Thanks for the link!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hopefully, with the new firmware I will never need to read these posts again. Charles

Post Thanks / Like

How long does the update take? I insert the card and started the upgrade, but after couple minute passed, the "installing bar" states as empty. What did I do wrong?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by yatlee View Post
    How long does the update take? I insert the card and started the upgrade, but after couple minute passed, the "installing bar" states as empty. What did I do wrong?
    turn the back off, pull the battery, install battery, turn it on and then re-start the update.
    that worked for me.
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Bob, it still not installing following your suggestion. This is a new back and came pre-installed with version 1.46.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think that 1.46 should have the nodb fix as well as there have been test versions earlier than that circulating.
    -bob