Site Sponsors

Thread: Tethered shooting/ How does your MF work

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Tethered shooting/ How does your MF work

Thought this maybe a interesting topic. I shot in the studio the other day with my Phase body and back with C1. Couple of features that i really liked overall that made life easy. One is C1 which is very easy to set up for tethered work . Just create a folder and point to it. The other is set the WB on your first shot and hit the set button and your off to the races all images after that are set to that WB. I used C1 in the past with Canon tethered but one thing I always liked was the big preview and also that it is very fast to show your image 2 seconds if I remember correctly which is good and if you go wild it will just catch up.
    Some features other than that I really liked . One is batteries , when tethered it draws power form the computer which is awesome so you never need any battery power so going all day is a cake walk. The other thing I do like a lot is i still get a preview on my back. Which is great because i can see what i am doing on board but client can view in there little corner on the laptop. Also all images shot are on the computer and not the card.

How do other systems work tethered would be interesting to hear.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tethered shooting/ How does your MF work

Sounds almost exactly like the Sinar setup, except I don't think we get a preview on the back in tethered mode - just on the laptop. To be honest, I haven't looked because I set up the laptop screen for me to see and no-one else so that's where's I'm looking.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Graham which software is used for Sinar. I set the laptop for me also, just those pesky art directors want in on the action. LOL
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

I use Sinar Exposure 6.0.1

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Firewire 800 to 800 tether; set white point on first shot for all; shoot to two 30" monitors: one with the desktop H3D Scratchpad selected and open as the thumbnail browser, the other a full screen display of the most recent shot that I can see from my shooting position. Can set up any number of folders and just point to the one I want to shoot to.

If I'm working with assistants & stylists shooting products, I stay at the computer, bark orders over my shoulder, adjust anything on the camera, let ultra focus do it's thing, and shoot remotely. Live View is an option then if needed.

If working with the Rollie Xact-II, I'm at the camera and use LV & Audio Feed Back to compose and focus if needed.

I think they are all pretty much the same functionality if they offer Live View.

thsinar

Tethered shooting with both eXposure and Captureshop is pretty much the same: connect and choose a folder(s) (create before if needed), WB on the first image to be applied on all following shots, powered from the computer, possibility to setup 2 monitors and arrange the windows as wished (live view, preview, detail window, full screen, etc ...).

Best regards,
    Thierry

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Graham which software is used for Sinar. I set the laptop for me also, just those pesky art directors want in on the action. LOL