Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: H4D200MS in the Landscape

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    561
    Post Thanks / Like

    H4D200MS in the Landscape

    Hi All,

    Lots of people say it can't be done(!), but a nice account from Les Walkling in Australia.

    http://www.leswalkling.com/

    Best to all,




    David

  2. #2
    New Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    10
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: H4D200MS in the Landscape

    David,

    Thanks for the link. In deed this is amazing.
    But isn't this limited to the deserts and semideserts of the world?
    Electrical lights, leaves or faster moving clouds would cause problems, wouldn't they?

    Michael

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Munich
    Posts
    876
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: H4D200MS in the Landscape

    I would have loved to see some more typical image. I mean the one which is shown, well isn't challenging at all, I could make a pano showing 10 times the detail.

  4. #4
    Sr. Administrator Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Los Altos, CA
    Posts
    10,486
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1031

    Re: H4D200MS in the Landscape

    That set-up reminds me of my Betterlight scanning back days! (Heavy tripod and laptop both required )
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

    "Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,083
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    6

    Re: H4D200MS in the Landscape

    Yes, this example will not make this camera way better than other models.
    Tareq

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    561
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: H4D200MS in the Landscape

    I wonder why I bother?

    It was just a newsy item folks.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    561
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: H4D200MS in the Landscape

    Quote Originally Posted by Citizen N View Post
    David,

    Thanks for the link. In deed this is amazing.
    But isn't this limited to the deserts and semideserts of the world?
    Electrical lights, leaves or faster moving clouds would cause problems, wouldn't they?

    Michael
    Thanks Michael!

    Indeed you wpuld have to exercise some caution, hence Les' comments about mixing in a single shot if need be.

    It's not for everyone, but perhaps interesting to some.

  8. #8
    Senior Member EH21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    394
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: H4D200MS in the Landscape

    I have a fair amount of experience with multishot backs - which I use mostly for art reproduction, copy work, and table top work. I guess its cool to see someone use this outdoors, but to be honest there are way better scenes than this one to demonstrate what makes multishot so great. Typically you'll see the best DR of any back out there with the cleanest shadows, better color transitions and really crisp details. I just don't get why this scene was selected to show off the 200MS ... I'm not trying to knock the back, or hasselblad - quite the opposite. These backs can really shine.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    889
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: H4D200MS in the Landscape

    Quote Originally Posted by David Grover / Hasselblad View Post
    Hi All,

    Lots of people say it can't be done(!), but a nice account from Les Walkling in Australia.

    http://www.leswalkling.com/

    Best to all,




    David
    Can somebody please explain to me about the it cannot be done part!
    As far as I understand, the H4D is just little bit too heavy for most to want to carry around and take out to the field and rather leave it in the studio. What am I missing here?

  10. #10
    Senior Member bensonga's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    2,416
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    819

    Re: H4D200MS in the Landscape

    Quote Originally Posted by pophoto View Post
    As far as I understand, the H4D is just little bit too heavy for most to want to carry around and take out to the field and rather leave it in the studio.
    I don't know what a H4DMS200 w/lens, laptop and tripod weighs, but I'm guessing it's comparable to some large format view camera setups. Not something that most people would choose to carry, but as many excellent landscape photographers shooting with large format cameras have demonstrated over the years, it is very doable. Probably doesn't even require a pack mule or sherpa to carry the gear.

    I would love to see more images (landscape or otherwise) taken with this camera, outside the studio environment.....so thanks for posting the link David.

    Gary

  11. #11
    Senior Member Thierry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    329
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: H4D200MS in the Landscape

    pophoto,

    You have probably missed the "MS" part in the title: that was shot with a Multi-Shot back. That is the reason why it is challenging at the least, if not impossible in most situations with moving subjects.

    Thierry

    Quote Originally Posted by pophoto View Post
    Can somebody please explain to me about the it cannot be done part!
    As far as I understand, the H4D is just little bit too heavy for most to want to carry around and take out to the field and rather leave it in the studio. What am I missing here?
    Thierry Hagenauer
    [email protected]

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    889
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: H4D200MS in the Landscape

    Hi Thierry,

    Actually I didn't miss the MS part, but I just didn't put it together :P

    If I am not mistaken, the MS either something like 4 shots and pieces them together, or takes the in the different channels... okay so I'm not completely sure how it works, but I gather, if trees, clouds, bird move, then it's difficult, is this the correct line of thought here?

    Thanks
    Po

  13. #13
    Senior Member Thierry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    329
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: H4D200MS in the Landscape

    Po,

    Sorry, was believing so, that you missed it.

    But yes, multi-shot works in a way that moving objects or parts of it cannot be shot with a multi-shot back.

    I am not sure how works the Hasseblad 200 MS, and if it is 4 shots taken, but basically there is a piezo coupled to the sensor which allows to move the sensor by increments of micros very precisely. After each shot the sensor is moved by the exact size of 1 pixel, e.g. first horizontally right, then vertically down, then horizontally again but left, and finally back to the 0-position.

    Doing so one is able to capture the full color information for each pixel, the Red, Blue and Green color information. In addition, the green information is captured 2 times and is used to help to calculate the luminance of each pixel.

    The advantage is that one can now build up the color image without having to interpolate the 2 missing colors for each pixels by guessing (though this guess-work is pretty good nowadays) and thus getting a true color image resulting from it.

    Thierry

    Quote Originally Posted by pophoto View Post
    Hi Thierry,

    Actually I didn't miss the MS part, but I just didn't put it together :P

    If I am not mistaken, the MS either something like 4 shots and pieces them together, or takes the in the different channels... okay so I'm not completely sure how it works, but I gather, if trees, clouds, bird move, then it's difficult, is this the correct line of thought here?

    Thanks
    Po
    Thierry Hagenauer
    [email protected]

  14. #14
    Senior Member kdphotography's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Carmel/Tucson
    Posts
    2,355
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: H4D200MS in the Landscape

    I'll never be able to have one, but it doesn't mean I don't want to hear/read about it. So thanks David. I'd enjoy hearing more about your experiences with the H4D200MS, both in and out of the field. Sherpas included.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •