The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Any recomendations on cases or bags for Alpa 12 Max?

C

carbonmetrictree

Yevgeny and Woody-

Thanks for the info. I'm not too sure how or what I would like to be my "perfect" case for my camera gear. I remember when there was just Lowepro and Tamrac, who are all of these other guys!? :D

Never thought I would be dealing with a different camera design than a 35mm body- who would have though I'd be in this neck of the woods?

N

Natasa Stojsic

Maybe you'll get a free pair of handcuffs so the case will be with you at all times. That is, unless someone chops your hand off first for all of your Alpa gear! :ROTFL:

We should get a free armed guard if we purchase the TC, SWA, MAX, and XY.
For sure they'll take the bag perhaps throw ALPA's to me... unless they want to use them as their LAPD Mug Picture Frames:ROTFL:

N

Natasa Stojsic

I agree that you can damage a lens when it is not kept in a rigid case. I damaged my 24mm when travelling with a soft camera bag, this lens have a flexible mount and it is prone to this kind of problems.
Yevgeny
Yevgeny, can you suggest one of your solutions... image could help:thumbup:

This equipment is too expensive to just throw it in the bag and off you go:p

C

carbonmetrictree

:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:
That's perfect!!!!

When I die, I want to be remembered in an XY frame. And they better have the spirit level on the mount to make sure my portrait is perfectly straight.

For sure they'll take the bag perhaps throw ALPA's to me... unless they want to use them as their LAPD Mug Picture Frames:ROTFL:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Hmmm, that's right Guy! Maybe I'll wait to see how large they are and maybe I could just get a new cube of foam to customize it again. Good idea! :thumbs:
It will be perfect for a Alpa sytem. Just get new inserts or foam for it. i may do the same as i build this setup

J

JEM_DTG

I consistently recommend various Pelican cases for proper packing and transport of ALPA bodies and related components. As noted, certain lenses can be some what fragile (ie. 5.6/24mm Digitar), and unusual inward pressure on any helicoil mount, ALPA or otherwise, can be a problem. A laptop case / sleeve would not be recommended. Soft cases will be less than ideal, unless the offer some rigid backing material. Tenba air cases, Lightware or VersaFlex cases would be well-suited.

As mentioned earlier, the Pelican 1510 would be great, all-in-one case, as it could easily accommodate multiple ALPA bodies, 3-4 lenses, digital back of choice, and still provide room for necessary accessories and misc. items. Not to mention it is a wonderful size, appropriate for airline carry-on all over the world.

Your best bet is to purchase a Pelican case with the padded divider set, instead of pluck-apart foam. The foam does not last long, and will continue to deteriorate until there is not structure left to the foam.

If you are looking for the utmost and protection, I highly recommend having a custom foam insert made for your Pelican case of choice. We use CaseCAD for our own case inserts, as well as custom inserts for customers. CaseCAD offer full customization, varying depth options, foam density options, and just about any other option imaginable. They also have a great PC-based CAD application, that allows you to scale your monitor size / resolution to your foam insert dimensions, allowing you to trace your item on-screen. This a perfect solution for fitting an ALPA body, with viewfinder, and hand-grips properly without leaving large amounts of empty space around the camera. These foam inserts are shipped as one piece, and this little app even has presets for most every Pelican case available.

Precision cameras require precision carrying solutions!

Regards,

Jordan Miller
DTG

C

carbonmetrictree

Wow Jordan, that sounds like the best setup for a digital back system I've ever heard about. I'd love to splurge for some custom CAD designs, maybe later when my pockets are replenished. :cry:

I looked at all of the Pelican cases and figured that the 1510 would be the best, given that the 28HR needs around 4.25" of space and 2" of padding on each side. I found an awesome product at FilmTools in Burbank, CA and it's a spray that you apply to the foam that binds the cubes together and also seals the foam from deteriorating. After the application, the foam basically becomes one piece!

N

Natasa Stojsic

If you are looking for the utmost and protection, I highly recommend having a custom foam insert made for your Pelican case of choice. We use CaseCAD for our own case inserts, as well as custom inserts for customers. CaseCAD offer full customization, varying depth options, foam density options, and just about any other option imaginable. They also have a great PC-based CAD application, that allows you to scale your monitor size / resolution to your foam insert dimensions, allowing you to trace your item on-screen. This a perfect solution for fitting an ALPA body, with viewfinder, and hand-grips properly without leaving large amounts of empty space around the camera. These foam inserts are shipped as one piece, and this little app even has presets for most every Pelican case available.

Precision cameras require precision carrying solutions!

Regards,

Jordan Miller
DTG
Much appreciated:thumbup: