Site Sponsors

Thread: Any recomendations on cases or bags for Alpa 12 Max?

carbonmetrictree

Any recomendations on cases or bags for Alpa 12 Max?

I will soon be trading both of my kidneys to Lance at Capture Integration in trade for an Alpa 12 MAX and a P45+ digital back. Any recommendations for storage on the go? Most bags are designed around 35mm SLR cameras, so I have no idea what I can use to keep the equipment safe.

Andrew

Natasa Stojsic

Re: Any recomendations on cases or bags for Alpa 12 Max?

Quote Originally Posted by carbonmetrictree View Post
    I will soon be trading both of my kidneys to Lance at Capture Integration in trade for an Alpa 12 MAX and a P45+ digital back. Any recommendations for storage on the go? Most bags are designed around 35mm SLR cameras, so I have no idea what I can use to keep the equipment safe.

Andrew
    Very good idea you actually to asked about the bag...

I paid 10K deposit for:

ALPA 12 TC
    ALPA 12 MAX
    Schneider Apo-Digitar 5.6/24 mm XL
    Schneider Apo-Digitar 5.6/35 mm XL
    Schneider Apo-Digitar 5.6/47 mm XL decentered
    ALPA Accessories cost like x2 ALPA 12 TC

So Andrew, I don't even think there's money left for a little lens bag....
    but hey I'm working on ordering P45+

carbonmetrictree

Wow Natasa, congratulations on the setup! I really want a TC, but I think that will wait for later after I sell some more of my equipment. I'm thinking that a Pelican case would be one of the only options because of the pluck and pull foam, my 4x5 that I put up on the For Sale page was really secure. One of the sellers at Samy's Camera in Los Angeles had an ingenious idea of putting the MAX body in a 12" padded laptop case, I might purchase a 15" so I can slide the camera and the lens into it for quick storage.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Natasa your my new hero. LOL
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Natasa Stojsic

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Natasa your my new hero. LOL
    If you mean Brave and Stupid..... too late for me to deny it

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

No just nuts like me. LOL
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Andrew - I have asked Lance to organise two pluck and pull Pelicans for my order. Aready have my Alpa gear - but looking forward to user views on Alpa Max - vs Arca Swiss. - sold my TC and kept 12WA and will decide between those two for stitiching purposes.

Natasa Stojsic

Wow Natasa, congratulations on the setup! I really want a TC, but I think that will wait for later after I sell some more of my equipment. I'm thinking that a Pelican case would be one of the only options because of the pluck and pull foam, my 4x5 that I put up on the For Sale page was really secure. One of the sellers at Samy's Camera in Los Angeles had an ingenious idea of putting the MAX body in a 12" padded laptop case, I might purchase a 15" so I can slide the camera and the lens into it for quick storage.
    Thanks

Using padded laptop case sounds good. However, I was advised against it because putting few or even one lens in padded laptop case is risky, these lenses are very fragile.... but pelican sounds good for me especially if they have the size you can carry on board?

Natasa Stojsic

No just nuts like me. LOL
    Agreed...LOL

carbonmetrictree

You guys are a riot! Considering the price on all of the equipment, maybe we can group buy a few Halliburton cases

Natasa Stojsic

You guys are a riot! Considering the price on all of the equipment, maybe we can group buy a few Halliburton cases
    How about 21" carbon fiber carry on w/ suiter $2,500.00?

Andrew, don't be surprised if you see me with one I guess I'll just need to blame it on somebody.....
    in this case on you

Post Thanks / Like

I have a lightware bag I used for my rollei x act 2, leaf back lenses sliding back etc. I was going to sell if anyone is interested.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You may want to check out the new pelican 1510 airline roller case.
    The max w/o lens would slide right into the laptop holder. Then in the case below it you could cutout the foam for back,lenses and maybe your PhaseOne 645FAD.
    Here is a picture of what it looks like.
    l

Lance Schad
    Capture Integration - Miami/Atlanta
    Direct: 305-534-5701 x1 | Cell: 305-394-3196
    Capture Integration
    [email protected]

carbonmetrictree

Maybe you'll get a free pair of handcuffs so the case will be with you at all times. That is, unless someone chops your hand off first for all of your Alpa gear!

We should get a free armed guard if we purchase the TC, SWA, MAX, and XY.

Quote Originally Posted by Natasa Stojsic View Post
    How about 21" carbon fiber carry on w/ suiter $2,500.00?

Andrew, don't be surprised if you see me with one I guess I'll just need to blame it on somebody.....
    in this case on you

carbonmetrictree

Thanks Lance, maybe I can drop by Samy's over here to see what it looks like in real life. I'm tired of cutting out pieces of paper to see the actual dimensions of the Alpa gear. Wow, maybe I shouldn't have told you that. Anyway, that's how excited I was when I figured out that I could purchase the 12Max, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by lance_schad View Post
    You may want to check out the new pelican 1510 airline roller case.
    The max w/o lens would slide right into the laptop holder. Then in the case below it you could cutout the foam for back,lenses and maybe your PhaseOne 645FAD.
    Here is a picture of what it looks like.
    l

Lance Schad
    Capture Integration - Miami/Atlanta
    Direct: 305-534-5701 x1 | Cell: 305-394-3196
    Capture Integration
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lnce - that Pelican doesnt seem to haev a large enough laptop pocket for a Mc 17inch?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I got two Pelican cases with the purchase of my Back and one with my new Phase body. Looks like I may have found a use for them

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Andrew
    Andrew

I attended Foto3 trade show in June (only cost me an H3DII-39, backpack etc so pretty cheap LOL!) and found this backpack in one of the booths. The bag looks large but the area at the bottom is just a holder for the rainhood so very lightweight) and overall the use of extremely lightweight material makes for a very usable pack. The bag fits very securely and is basically customized to your torso. The internal crates securely holds everything in place so no chance your gear will ever come tumbling out. I just love mine (used for the Hassy MF kit) and as described the bag was originally designed for technical cameras. Take a look here http://www.photobackpacker.com/home.asp

Woody Spedden

Post Thanks / Like

I agree that you can damage a lens when it is not kept in a rigid case. I damaged my 24mm when travelling with a soft camera bag, this lens have a flexible mount and it is prone to this kind of problems.
    Yevgeny

carbonmetrictree

Hmmm, that's right Guy! Maybe I'll wait to see how large they are and maybe I could just get a new cube of foam to customize it again. Good idea!

I got two Pelican cases with the purchase of my Back and one with my new Phase body. Looks like I may have found a use for them

carbonmetrictree

Yevgeny and Woody-

Thanks for the info. I'm not too sure how or what I would like to be my "perfect" case for my camera gear. I remember when there was just Lowepro and Tamrac, who are all of these other guys!?

Never thought I would be dealing with a different camera design than a 35mm body- who would have though I'd be in this neck of the woods?

Natasa Stojsic

Maybe you'll get a free pair of handcuffs so the case will be with you at all times. That is, unless someone chops your hand off first for all of your Alpa gear!

We should get a free armed guard if we purchase the TC, SWA, MAX, and XY.
    For sure they'll take the bag perhaps throw ALPA's to me... unless they want to use them as their LAPD Mug Picture Frames

Natasa Stojsic

Quote Originally Posted by Yevgeny NP View Post
    I agree that you can damage a lens when it is not kept in a rigid case. I damaged my 24mm when travelling with a soft camera bag, this lens have a flexible mount and it is prone to this kind of problems.
    Yevgeny
    Yevgeny, can you suggest one of your solutions... image could help

This equipment is too expensive to just throw it in the bag and off you go

carbonmetrictree

That's perfect!!!!

When I die, I want to be remembered in an XY frame. And they better have the spirit level on the mount to make sure my portrait is perfectly straight.

Quote Originally Posted by Natasa Stojsic View Post
    For sure they'll take the bag perhaps throw ALPA's to me... unless they want to use them as their LAPD Mug Picture Frames

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hmmm, that's right Guy! Maybe I'll wait to see how large they are and maybe I could just get a new cube of foam to customize it again. Good idea!
    It will be perfect for a Alpa sytem. Just get new inserts or foam for it. i may do the same as i build this setup

JEM_DTG

I consistently recommend various Pelican cases for proper packing and transport of ALPA bodies and related components. As noted, certain lenses can be some what fragile (ie. 5.6/24mm Digitar), and unusual inward pressure on any helicoil mount, ALPA or otherwise, can be a problem. A laptop case / sleeve would not be recommended. Soft cases will be less than ideal, unless the offer some rigid backing material. Tenba air cases, Lightware or VersaFlex cases would be well-suited.

As mentioned earlier, the Pelican 1510 would be great, all-in-one case, as it could easily accommodate multiple ALPA bodies, 3-4 lenses, digital back of choice, and still provide room for necessary accessories and misc. items. Not to mention it is a wonderful size, appropriate for airline carry-on all over the world.

Your best bet is to purchase a Pelican case with the padded divider set, instead of pluck-apart foam. The foam does not last long, and will continue to deteriorate until there is not structure left to the foam.

If you are looking for the utmost and protection, I highly recommend having a custom foam insert made for your Pelican case of choice. We use CaseCAD for our own case inserts, as well as custom inserts for customers. CaseCAD offer full customization, varying depth options, foam density options, and just about any other option imaginable. They also have a great PC-based CAD application, that allows you to scale your monitor size / resolution to your foam insert dimensions, allowing you to trace your item on-screen. This a perfect solution for fitting an ALPA body, with viewfinder, and hand-grips properly without leaving large amounts of empty space around the camera. These foam inserts are shipped as one piece, and this little app even has presets for most every Pelican case available.

Precision cameras require precision carrying solutions!

Regards,

Jordan Miller
    DTG

carbonmetrictree

Wow Jordan, that sounds like the best setup for a digital back system I've ever heard about. I'd love to splurge for some custom CAD designs, maybe later when my pockets are replenished.

I looked at all of the Pelican cases and figured that the 1510 would be the best, given that the 28HR needs around 4.25" of space and 2" of padding on each side. I found an awesome product at FilmTools in Burbank, CA and it's a spray that you apply to the foam that binds the cubes together and also seals the foam from deteriorating. After the application, the foam basically becomes one piece!

Natasa Stojsic

Quote Originally Posted by JEM_DTG View Post
    If you are looking for the utmost and protection, I highly recommend having a custom foam insert made for your Pelican case of choice. We use CaseCAD for our own case inserts, as well as custom inserts for customers. CaseCAD offer full customization, varying depth options, foam density options, and just about any other option imaginable. They also have a great PC-based CAD application, that allows you to scale your monitor size / resolution to your foam insert dimensions, allowing you to trace your item on-screen. This a perfect solution for fitting an ALPA body, with viewfinder, and hand-grips properly without leaving large amounts of empty space around the camera. These foam inserts are shipped as one piece, and this little app even has presets for most every Pelican case available.

Precision cameras require precision carrying solutions!

Regards,

Jordan Miller
    DTG
    Much appreciated