The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Medium Format Clients (More MPs)

DDudenbostel

I'm an old timer in the advertising / commercial world. Over more then four decades of shooting we chose the specific camera to do the specific job best whether 35mm or 11x14. When I took my studio digital almost thirteen years ago it came down to trying to do everything on a 35mm type camera with no movements and relatively small image files.I always felt I was getting only half a camera with the 35 system.

I finally moved up to Hasselblad MF digital equipment and purchased a Linhof Technikardan 23 to use the back on. Whether my clients see a difference, and they do, I feel I can deliver a better product again with the full function of a view camera vs a limited 35mm system. The experienced art directors I work with couldn't be happier. They like the flexibility and control over the image plus having those large files are like having a beautiful large format transparency. The large files also give the ability to use my images in a broader range for reproductions from catalogs to large trade show displays.

djonesii

Workshop Member
I have no clients ....

It's simply the joy that I get in seeing the difference in C1.

For that I dug deep into my wallet. I forgo Harley's, Purdy Shot Guns and custom build Orvis Fly rods to shoot a MFDB, Can't even touch a good bass boat for what my cheap MFDB cost!

So, to my one client, it is supremely important. Don't know if I will ever get an IQ back, depends on the economy.

YMMV

Dave

fotografz

Even after moving into MFD, I still kept trying to do jobs with a 35mm DSLR because I'm lazy ;) ... the final straw was a huge catalog with over 100 pieces of high end jewelry where the 35mm just couldn't handle the specular highlights well enough to make the poster sized display prints, making retouching a nightmare. I went back to MFD after a few shots and nailed it. Never used a 35mm DSLR in the studio since.

Some of my current clients look at details more than we do ... for example I shoot automotive fabric and have to shoot a 12 X 15 swatch ... from which they search out a 2" square that best represents the texture, weave or pattern. To avoid moiré I used a Multi-Shot unit until the H4D/60 became available to test ... which I now use.

One industrial client has printed shots I did of their R&D facility 10' wide for display in their corporate headquarters lobby. Another reproduced a bunch of catalog shots to 6' for a trade show booth where details would be viewed from just a few feet away.

You just never know where your shots are going to be used.

-Marc