The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mamiya 2x Query

robmac

Can't seem to find a consistent answer out there, so figured the gurus here would be in the know. Couple of questions re: the Mamiya 2x N converter:

1. Is it compatible with the 200/2.8 APO?
2. If #1, what's the degradation in IQ like?

Thanks

R

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Not sure it is compatible but a great question and i would spend dearly for a great 1.4 Apo for my 150 2.8.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Not sure it is compatible but a great question and i would spend dearly for a great 1.4 Apo for my 150 2.8.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
IIRC, there were at least two versions of Mamiya made 2x converters and one is specifically designed to pair with the faster teles like the 200 and 300 2.8's. I think it had a slightly protruding front element, and was designated either "APO" or "N" or both, but I'm not 100% sure of that. Sorry I cannot be of more help...

woodyspedden

Rob

I googled for these teleconverters. I got info from Adorama on the standard 2x and the chart shows it is compatible with the 210 but no mention of the 200. No problems with the 300 2.8.

I could find no information about lens compatibility for the 2xN. However there is one for sale on fleabay from U.K. so I asked the seller to clarify if it is compatible with the 200. If he writes back, I will let you know.

by the way, neither converter is listed as APO, so you might expect some degradation of iq

Woody

Bernard

The latest (last) 2x Tele-Converter N works fine with the Apo 2.8/200.

For future reference, here's the full list of compatible lenses, according to the leaflet that comes with the converter:

A 150 2.8
C 150 3.5 N
A 150 3.5 N/L
A 200 2.8 APO
C 210 4 N
A 300 2.8 APO
ULD C 300 5.6 N
A 500 4.5 APO
C 500 5.6

I did some quick tests and found that the 200/2x combo was easilly sharper than any other 400 that I have access to.

One thing about the 2.8/200 is that you really need to be careful when you focus it. The slightest movement of the focus ring will blur fine details. I think that the 2x viewfinder magnifier would help a lot.

robmac

Great info guys - appreciate it very much.

One of the reasons I posted is like Woody found, if you Google for the Mamiya 2x you get references to a 2xN and a 2x N-2 AND you also get folks (in various forums over the years) indicating that the 2X N will work fine with the 200, despite fact it is not listed on some compatibility charts.

The lack of info out there on Mamiya glass is painful. On the other hand, maybe it's get - helps keep the prices down.. ;>

Woody - thanks for the fleabay check. There are a couple there, have asked one seller re: shipping but they've gone silent.

Bernard:

I use the 200 on a 1Ds2 (for now) with an adapter so I have a bit more latitude on DoF. Gives great results - sharp, nice bokeh, great color.

Now - given that the 2X is non-APO (far as I know anyway), is the optical quality of the 2x appreciably better than that of brand-name DSLR teleconverter -- given what I use the lens on?

robsteve

Subscriber
Rob:

Why don't you try one of the Canon converters with the lens? The Canon 1.4x is a pretty good converter.

I have a Canon 1.4x and 2x if you want to give it a try.

robmac

The more I look at it, the more using a C or N TC makes more sense. Would install on the back end of the adapter so certainly no compatibility issues by any means.

A Leica APO TC would likely do a better job given the APO performance of the Mamy (simple matter of swapping to a Mamiya-R adapter) but they ain't cheap...

Hey Rob,

Long time no talk to. Hum - be an idiot not to take you up on your kind offer (currently lack a TC). I'll drop you an email. Thanks.

Bernard

The Mamiya converter will mount much more solidly on the lens, especially compared to a camera to adapter to converter to adapter to lens contraption.
It doesn't take a whole lot of mis-alignment to make an "APO" lens or converter perform like a cheap zoom lens.