The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Shooting in the rain, how to ?

anGy

Just wondering if anybody found a nice solution to protect his
* Camera + back (P back + DF cam)
or
* Cambo WRS + back
against wet shooting conditions ?

I'm leaving to Island next week and will certainly face those conditions.
My only idea for the Cambo is to put a transparent plastic bag on it (zip-lock bag sort of thing), make a hole and 'seal' it on the lens hood.

Don't know if a rain protection that could fit the DF body exists ?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
2-Gallon Zip-lock, the side opposite the zipper when closed is cut, and then the bottom is cut leaving the last 3" of the bottom sealed at the closed zipper end. Zipper now shuts around lenshood, the bottom is open for the tripod and head, and the back is open with a 3" mini hood at the top. Works absolutely great, is cheap, and you can carry a few of them in your bag with no space issue.

johnnygoesdigital

Kata makes great rain covers for most every camera. They have velcro straps that attach around the camera lens, and also have arm entry ports for shooting in inclement weather.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
My only issue with Kata, Lightware and similar coated nylon covers is their bulk and weight. They are certainly durable and if you shoot in the rain all the time, definitely the way to go. However, for the typical landscape once or twice a year or emergency in the rain rig, the 2-gallon zip-lock is tough to beat for price/performance.

anGy

Okay, rain sleeve from OpTech ordered for the DF and Zip-lock for the Cambo.
Thanks for this quick feedback guys ;-)

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Here in the Pacific NorthWET we have a bit of experience of shooting in the rain. :D

My suggestion is similar to Jack - have a zip lock bag for emergencies but otherwise I find that having a couple of hand towels to dab up moisture works better than trying to wrap your gear in plastic or sheeting. Now if it's a complete deluge and you've got to shoot - sure - umbrella works great as does the zip lock.

Now if we could just solve the rain drops on the front element problem ...

P. Chong

I have a Kata, the issue I have with it is the lens "hood" is very stiff, and deep. Can vignette the lens if not positioned properly, especially with a wide angle lens. Even more so on a technical camera when it is difficult to see what the sensor is seeing if you compose with external viewfinder.

My only issue with Kata, Lightware and similar coated nylon covers is their bulk and weight. They are certainly durable and if you shoot in the rain all the time, definitely the way to go. However, for the typical landscape once or twice a year or emergency in the rain rig, the 2-gallon zip-lock is tough to beat for price/performance.

Don Libby

I carry a heavy weight clear plastic bag rolled up in my tripod bag.

I've tried just about every name brand out there and this works best for me. And it's so dang simple to use and I don't have to worry about it costing me a fortune.

Audii-Dudii

I carry a heavy weight clear plastic bag rolled up in my tripod bag.

I've tried just about every name brand out there and this works best for me. And it's so dang simple to use and I don't have to worry about it costing me a fortune.
I actually carry several different size plastic bags with me, from a 55-gallon one that I can use to keep me or my equipment from having to come into contact with wet ground, to five-gallon ones that I can use to cover my equipment, to a one-quart one in which I carry my spare batteries.

When wrapped tightly, they don't take up much space, and they don't weigh very much, either.

rga

Here in the Pacific NorthWET we have a bit of experience of shooting in the rain. :D

My suggestion is similar to Jack - have a zip lock bag for emergencies but otherwise I find that having a couple of hand towels to dab up moisture works better than trying to wrap your gear in plastic or sheeting. Now if it's a complete deluge and you've got to shoot - sure - umbrella works great as does the zip lock.

Now if we could just solve the rain drops on the front element problem ...
In addition to a golf umbrella attached to a tripod leg, I use one of those uber absorbent sham wow type towels over the camera, back and, when not exposing, over lens/filter. Find them better than Terry cloth hand towels...
Bob

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
In addition to a golf umbrella attached to a tripod leg, I use one of those uber absorbent sham wow type towels over the camera, back and, when not exposing, over lens/filter. Find them better than Terry cloth hand towels...
Bob
Bob, that's a great suggestion. I'll have to try that. I tend to lay the towel like a dark cloth over the top of my Alpa/DF between shots and if it's very bad I'll leave it there and pull back the front from covering the top of the lens. a super absorbent sham-wow type of cloth may be better than my normal "borrowed" hotel hand towel. (They circulate from one hotel room to the next btw ...)

rga

I would never dare to do that, don't want to see all my equipment falling on the ground after a sudden gust...
If it's that blowy, I probably wouldn't shoot. Agreed that would be a risk (though take a look at the venting Nike and other umbrellas that vent now).

But I agree primarily because the rain/snow will just come in under the umbrella. One thing you can do is hang your bag from the center column hook for the unexpected gust.

But again, at one's own risk for sure!
Bob

Analog6

Yep, I have the Op-Tech and they are great. Mine kept the camera perfectly dry through 25 mins of torrential thunderstorm rain when I was filming a surf event. I didn't have my raincoat though, I just sat and got drenched! I did dry out by going home time but my shoes were still squelching!

This is the approaching storm . . .

Approaching Storm Panorama
by Photography by Odille, on Flickr