The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Portrait shooting with the hassy V system

steflaurent974

I'm planning to buy a portrait lens for a hassy V system. A lot of people or pro should have the experience to answer my question : wich lens would you choose, the 150mm sonnar or 120 mm makro-planar.

I already own a 180mm sonnar, wich is fabulous for landscape but really too crisp for portrait I think.

PeterA

I am a big fan of the 100/2 for the classic hasselbad/Zeiss 'look' - this one taken with a 203TCC body and a CFV11-16 back

Stuart Richardson

If you have a 200 series camera, I would agree with Peter and recommend the 110/2 -- it is superb, and pretty much all I ever use for portraits on the Hasselblad.

If you don't, I would say go with the 150mm. The 120mm is also a very good lens, and perhaps a better balance to the 180mm in focal length, but if you find the 180mm too crisp, you are likely to find the 120mm too crisp at portrait range as well. The 150mm is also a very sharp lens, but is perhaps not as contrasty as the 180mm. It is also just about right in terms of field of view. You might want to get an extension tube if you want very close portraits though...I think it focuses to 1.4m without the tube, which is around head and shoulders in frame. The 150mm is the classic Hasselblad portrait lens, it tends to be inexpensive, and it would definitely be the first one to try. If it is still too sharp for you, you might go looking for a softar...

bythewei

I applaud you.

I always find it difficult to get sharp images on the V-series for portraits and that's one big reason why I opted for the Mamiya AF system and a digital back instead.

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Jim

Image number two , three and four .:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
One thumb per image :)
The PLANAR 2/110 is just a great lens .