The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Aptus-II 10R

micek

Hi, I have been offered an Aptus 10R for a good price (that's a rather relative term, as my wife would say), and I find there is little user information about it on the internet. Is there anyone on this forum that has had experience with the Aptus 10 on a technical camera? Whether, for instance, SK wide angles might struggle with it? Any other issues?
Thanks.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
You might want to take a look at Robb Williamson's experiences: www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/aptus-10.shtml

With the exception of the UI of the new IQ series, I'd say that Leaf had the benchmark for technical camera MFDB's especially with the AFI versions which had the tilting LCD. The UI works well and the R version doesn't require you to rotate the back itself which is a great plus in the field. (I think I lose a day off my life expectancy every time I take off and rotate my MFDB). Just be aware of the 2:3 crop ratio with the Aptus II-10 vs more typical 4:3.

I was THIS ... close to buying one of these (non-R) before my IQ back turned up. There were some very attractive prices out there for a LOT of MFDB.

micek

Thank you Graham. I am aware of the back's technical features, and I had read the LuLa review, but Robb Williamson uses the back on a Contax, and I would use it on an Alpa. My concern is coming across the same difficulties others have had with their SK wide angles on the 180IQ...

yaya

Robb has been using the back on a Cambo WRS for a few months now

Also see Bernhard Spöttel's (ALPA) and Rainer Viertlböck's (Sinar) work*

Here's one of mine; Cambo WDS with SK 35mm Digitar. Two horizontal frames stitched. IIRC the top one was about 18mm rise and the bottom one about 15mm drop

Let me know if you'd like to see the full res image

Yair

*not everything on the photographers' sites was shot on Leaf

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Thank you Graham. I am aware of the back's technical features, and I had read the LuLa review, but Robb Williamson uses the back on a Contax, and I would use it on an Alpa. My concern is coming across the same difficulties others have had with their SK wide angles on the 180IQ...
6 micron sensor so same as P65

Geoff

Am using the Leaf AFI II 7, which has less mp, but all the other features, and a 4:3 ratio. Rather a delightful back, and FWIW, can't even imagine not having a rotating sensor. The tonality of images from the Leaf back is also very nice - and oddly enough, probably a wee bit better in Leaf's software than C1 (which I use because it works so well).