The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

8x10 vs IQ180

cunim

Perhaps a little story can illustrate my own view.

We had a marketing event going on in which a 1930 Bentley "raced" against a modern Porsche and a Lamborghini. Cameras were incidental but a chopper did follow taking snaps.

I drove the Bentley. After my defeat, the nice fellow in the Lambo took me around the track at some unholy speed.

When he asked how I liked it I said "I almost fell asleep in this thing at 150 mph. At 80 mph in the old car I felt like I was going to die". Point is, it's not how fast you go, it is how fast it feels like you are going. Old cars are magic that way, though you wouldn't want to use them in a modern competitive environment.

As a nonprofessional, it is not the photographs I take. It is how taking them makes me feel. I enjoy both digital and analog, but 8 x 10 has magic.

Shashin

In a way, digital in any form is promiscuous ... whether a P&S or a theoretical 120 meg MFD, they promote speed and ease, truncating the forced contemplative experience for all but the most disciplined.
That is the history of photography, from Daguerrotype to wet plate, dry plate, roll film to Polaroid--or Brownie, to Instimatic, to Disk, to APS. Digitial is just the next step in that evolution. But nothing has fundamentally changed the process.

The more things change...

johnnygoesdigital

For many this issue does get personal when some photographers say my gear is better, or that your medium is no longer considered useful. This is the whole apples to oranges thing. There is no questioning the usefulness of both film and digital, and where to apply there strengths when applicable. The fundamentals may be the same, the process is certainly different, but the result is what matters. I shoot digital for advertising, editorial, travel and destination. I shoot film for galleries, private collections, books, and art. I appreciate both for what they offer.

fotografz

That is the history of photography, from Daguerrotype to wet plate, dry plate, roll film to Polaroid--or Brownie, to Instimatic, to Disk, to APS. Digitial is just the next step in that evolution. But nothing has fundamentally changed the process.

The more things change...
... the more they become different :ROTFL:

Anyway, I think the notion of technological advancement as you've listed was driven by practical matters .... a two pronged thrust: one from the commercial end as methods of mass communication went nearly 100% digital for the sake of speed and efficiency. One from the consumer side for instant gratification, ease, and convenience ... finally solidified by the heightened proliferation of the internet.

While the fundamentals haven't changed in either of those cases, just more and more are involved now, when it comes to this thread's subject, the process of making an 8 X 10 is considerably different from doing it with MFD camera ... not the mechanics of taking a photo like f/stop, shutter speed etc. but instead the form's general effect on the creative process ... unless you are very disciplined and only allow yourself a few shots which grinds against human nature pretty roughly.

Not that I miss film, and long for the good old days ... I think I shot 8X10 only twice and was too impatient for it to ever be my medium.

-Marc