The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

150mm LS Arrives

Steve Hendrix

Tease. :p

It'll really have to be something super special to make me turn in my Phase 150mm D.

:)

Well....it is substantially smaller. We'll test optical qualities next week.

But who said anything about turning in your 150mm D? Ken, you can have the best of both worlds. Treat yourself! You deserve it! :D

Steve Hendrix

vieri

Hey Doug! You are a teaser, but you already know that :D A question for you: is it true that it focusses only down to 1.5 mt (compared to 1 mt of the old 150 f2.8)? That would be a potential deal breaker for me right off the start, so I am very interested in what you and others here feel about that (if true, of course). Thanks in advance! :)

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I know and no rush to even do it UNLESS it smokes the 110 which I doubt. Funny thing is I loved the 150 and 110 on my P40. Now FF things have changed and a liitle different feel.

macoberly

Do I need to upgrade my Phase One body to a DF in order to use the LS lenses or can the internal shutter of the lens be disabled?

Thanks.

Mason.

Christopher

Why would you want a LF lens without beeing able to use it ? I wouldn't want it. When again, i would never spend the money to upgrade from an AF to DF...

cunim

My 150LS is at the dealer and I am impressed by the optics. However, the focus mechanism on the longer LS lenses (have tried 110 and 150) is junk. Basically, you cannot trust these lenses to hold a manual focus if they are at all out of the horizontal position. Or if you move about.

I understand this is a known issue and we can do some button remapping as a work around, but I jump between MF and AF a lot. Don't want to do a bunch of menu stuff every time and I like my AF to run off the half depression of the shutter release.

People seem to have come to terms with this but I find it annoying. I am looking at cancelling my 150LS order, even at the great price of the Blad trade-in package. Blad lenses never did this.

Perhaps the 110 and 150 are unusual. Does anyone know if the 240 has the same crappy MF as the other LS lenses?

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
My 150LS is at the dealer and I am impressed by the optics. However, the focus mechanism on the longer LS lenses (have tried 110 and 150) is junk. Basically, you cannot trust these lenses to hold a manual focus if they are at all out of the horizontal position. Or if you move about.

I understand this is a known issue and we can do some button remapping as a work around, but I jump between MF and AF a lot. Don't want to do a bunch of menu stuff every time and I like my AF to run off the half depression of the shutter release.
I prefer the rear button be used for AF anyway. So for me it's not a big deal. With autofocus set to the rear button you can easily manually focus (it will stay in place) and autofocus (by using the rear button) interchangeably with zero other changes.

If you absolutely must have your focus on the shutter then there is no work around.

Setting the DF body to Rear-button-focus

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

Masters Series Workshop:
New England Landscape - Fall Color (Oct 5-8)

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Do I need to upgrade my Phase One body to a DF in order to use the LS lenses or can the internal shutter of the lens be disabled?
The LS lenses are ONLY compatible with the DF body.

When mounted on an incompatible body like the Phase One AF body or Mamiya AFD2 you will not be able to stop down the aperture and of course you won't be able to use the leaf-shutter and you won't receive metadata.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

Masters Series Workshop:
New England Landscape - Fall Color (Oct 5-8)

cunim

Thank you Doug. Yes, it does work and I suppose I can get used to rear button for AF - but I do miss AEL. It just seems sad that there is no custom function to leave the AF motor engaged in MF mode. That would leave the default AF settings and AEL alone.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Thank you Doug. Yes, it does work and I suppose I can get used to rear button for AF - but I do miss AEL. It just seems sad that there is no custom function to leave the AF motor engaged in MF mode. That would leave the default AF settings and AEL alone.
After making the rear button the Autofocus button the AEL function is still there; it's just now on the front button on the body near the lens. I will grant you for sure that is a less convenient place for it to be if you use it often.