The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

P65+ for still-life shooting

studio347

Hi,
I have been using P25, Sinar 4X5, Schneider Digitar 100(mostly @f16 or sometimes @f11) for still-life/ table top and food images(editorials).
I'm planing to upgrade for P65+. Are there any important advices & infos I need to be aware of for this upgrade other than the expected file size-increase, IQ/DR improvement, and the Dalsa_Kodark sensor difference?
Yes, I have read the related infos in this forum.

In general, is P65+ good for the table top_still-life shooting?

Do I need to shoot pictures at wider F-stop because of smaller size sensor_pixel of P65+? For example, @ f11 with P65+ instead of @ f16 which is my typical F-stop with P25?

If I use Rodenstock HR S 100 @ f 16 (or @ 11) with P65+ for table top_still life, can I expect some IQ increase compared with Schneider Digitar 100 @ f 16 (or @11) with P65+?
Or can I notice the difference only at the wider F-stops? Yes, I'm aware of the image circle limitation of HR S lens.

Many thanks!

goesbang

Hi,
I have been using P25, Sinar 4X5, Schneider Digitar 100(mostly @f16 or sometimes @f11) for still-life/ table top and food images(editorials).
I'm planing to upgrade for P65+. Are there any important advices & infos I need to be aware of for this upgrade other than the expected file size-increase, IQ/DR improvement, and the Dalsa_Kodark sensor difference?
Yes, I have read the related infos in this forum.

In general, is P65+ good for the table top_still-life shooting?

Do I need to shoot pictures at wider F-stop because of smaller size sensor_pixel of P65+? For example, @ f11 with P65+ instead of @ f16 which is my typical F-stop with P25?

If I use Rodenstock HR S 100 @ f 16 (or @ 11) with P65+ for table top_still life, can I expect some IQ increase compared with Schneider Digitar 100 @ f 16 (or @11) with P65+?
Or can I notice the difference only at the wider F-stops? Yes, I'm aware of the image circle limitation of HR S lens.

Many thanks!
You will notice a massive increase in image quality. Obviously resolution is higher, but so is dynamic range, which will give you much more highlight and shadow detail than you are used to. You might find your fill-light ratios change a little.
The smaller pixels do mean there is more diffraction than the P25, bit the higher resolution offsets this. I would be surprised if you find yourself changing how you work unless you are a chronic measurebator.
Bottom line is you are going to love it.
Both the lenses you mention are superb. It will take serious pixel peeping to notice any differences. If you like the current trend of using selective focus in still life, then the HR-s Digaron is a better choice. It is superb even wide open, whereas the SK is at its best around f11 and noticeable softer wide open. Be aware that with both lenses at f16 you are getting into territory where you will have noticeable softening due to diffraction. With small pixel sensors, generally wider apertures are better.

Cheers,

studio347

Hi Siebel,
Thanks for your reply. It made me feel more comfortable about my upgrade_plan :)
Selective focus is not really my thing. I like very sharp textures in pictures. I might try f11 more often. At f11, are you saying that there is not much difference between both lenses? I'd love to test it. But it's not possible since no rental HR lenses in this town...
Thanks!
k

Thierry

k,

quality wise at f 11 you won't see a noticable difference between the 2 lenses. It is only wide open, where the Rodenstock is already giving excellent results and the Schneider needing to be shut down by 1 or 2 stops, you will notice a difference, as stated by Bryan.

Thierry

Hi Siebel,
Thanks for your reply. It made me feel more comfortable about my upgrade_plan :)
Selective focus is not really my thing. I like very sharp textures in pictures. I might try f11 more often. At f11, are you saying that there is not much difference between both lenses? I'd love to test it. But it's not possible since no rental HR lenses in this town...
Thanks!
k

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
BTW the upgrade from the P25 to P65 is huge. So you will love that alone. Going to have less moire issues to boot as well and the extra DR will blow you away from the 9 micron sensor. Good luck

studio347

thanks for good infos!
If you guys don't mind, I have a few more questions regarding p65.

P65 connects to a computer through firewire-400. Is there no problem with the big file size of p65 and 400 firewire connection?

I heard that P65 doesn't require the wake_up cable using with tech camera. Is there any issues regarding the no-latency setting? I heard that it needs to be set at no-latency in P65 back when shooting fast...
Thanks.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
No issues tethering with the P65 count on about a 2.5 second full preview in C1. also you can shoot fast has a big buffer.

You have zero latency which means the back is ready to shoot without wakeup. Now if your on battery only it will drain fairly quickly and you need to be careful about heat as that can build noise. I shoot my tech cam on zero latency with the 160 and have not run into any issues but I do turn the back off when not shooting also when tethered power comes from your computer, so you won't drain battery.

Second mode is wakeup mode called Normal latency which requires to wake up back before shooting. Basically back is off until you wake it up so normal battery drain and you have 5 seconds to shoot. Several wake up cables to use either manual operation or you can buy a cable that wakes up back and shoots with one push of the cable.

gazwas

Firewire 400 will be no problem as the speed of operation of the file transfer has more to do with the processing power of the back reading the info off the chip. I very much doubt if you had thunderbolt ports on any of the present Phase backs it would make the file transfer any quicker than FW400.

I keep my P65 on normal latency and use the Phase wake up cable as I worry about heat/noise more than convenience and still shut the back down between shots.

studio347

thanks for sharing... : )
I think I have a better understanding about the back, p65, now before the upgrade.