The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Adobe Upgrade Supports H4D/60 & HC/HCD lenses

fotografz

The latest update for Adobe Lightroom and Camera RAW now supports the Hasselblad H4D/60 ... and HC/HCD lens correction profiles are now included ... I think all of them are there.

I also noted that the camera profile includes "Camera Standard" and "Matrix" ... I don't know what matrix is ... anyone know? It does have an effect on the image ... but I haven't figured it out yet.

When I get a chance, I will be testing Phocus against Lightroom.

- Marc

arashm

yes I'm a bit confused by the "Matrix" thing myself.
from the few minutes I spent pushing a couple of files around, I have to say it looked pretty good.
But I'll have some time on the weekend to sit down and really compare the same file in phocus and LR.
But this is a very good thing :)
am

Use the Camera Standard profile.

Matrix is based on the old LightRoom colours so avoid that.

We are currently working on some comprehensive info that describes the extent of lightroom support and any limitations.

D

Dustbak

Fantastic!

One more thing? Did Adobe also implement the fantastic CA reduction Phocus uses? (I don't even dare to ask about the moire reduction :)).

fotografz

Thanks David. I suspected that was the case with Matrix since Camera Standard is a pretty obvious name. However, when clicking back and forth I didn't notice a color shift as much as a contrast boost with Matrix. Will have to explore further on some more color critical work.

Dustbak, I think you can still employ the LR manual fringe reduction, if needed, even if you also use the lens profiles. It seems the LR profiles are doing the same thing that DAC does in Phocus. What else would those profiles be doing? Plus, you can still adjust the level of DAC with the sliders below the canned lens profiles. The Fab noise reduction in LR works as always.

This is major for me for a number of reasons ... especially for higher volume work, or work where I am using more than one camera with the H4D/60. The level of non-destructive RAW processing tools and ability to directly use PS and/or other 3rd party post programs like Nik Silver Efex without leaving LR ... makes post-processing work-flow lightening quick. Most of the time, everything can be done in LR.

BTW, I was pretty pleased to see how fast LR loaded the big H4D/60 files.

We'll see ... have to use it more.

Wonder if it supports tethered shooting? Not that I'd necessarily do that very much. But for a quick portrait job or something, I could see just using LR and outputting directly to print and a Smug-Mug gallery.

-Marc

ptomsu

Workshop Member
The latest update for Adobe Lightroom and Camera RAW now supports the Hasselblad H4D/60 ... and HC/HCD lens correction profiles are now included ... I think all of them are there.

I also noted that the camera profile includes "Camera Standard" and "Matrix" ... I don't know what matrix is ... anyone know? It does have an effect on the image ... but I haven't figured it out yet.

When I get a chance, I will be testing Phocus against Lightroom.

- Marc
Marc,

great news!

Does it also support H3D39 ???

Would make me use my Hassi much more often!

Thanks

Peter

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Actually should not have asked but looked it up: it supports H3D39, but now including lens corrections for HC and HCD glass.

Will try soon!

M

madmanchan

Hi folks,

Yes, "Matrix" is the name for the older profiles that shipped in earlier versions of ACR and Lightroom. (They are based on color matrices that were originally embedded in the raw files by the camera, hence the name.) We would ideally get rid of these profiles, but we didn't because of backwards compatibility -- e.g., some Hasselblad users have existing images in Lightroom using the old profiles.

The "Camera Standard" are the color profiles developed by Hasselblad, and newly available to Lightroom 3.5. They should automatically be selected as the default choice for newly-imported images. There should be one profile available per back type (from 16 MP to 60 MP backs).

There should also be 1 lens profile for each H lens (I think 14 total). Note that optical corrections are NOT enabled by default in Lightroom (for speed reasons), but you can certainly change this if you want. For example, create a Develop preset that turns on profile-based lens corrections and then apply that preset during import.

Enjoy,

Eric Chan
Camera Raw Engineer

fotografz

Hi folks,

Yes, "Matrix" is the name for the older profiles that shipped in earlier versions of ACR and Lightroom. (They are based on color matrices that were originally embedded in the raw files by the camera, hence the name.) We would ideally get rid of these profiles, but we didn't because of backwards compatibility -- e.g., some Hasselblad users have existing images in Lightroom using the old profiles.

The "Camera Standard" are the color profiles developed by Hasselblad, and newly available to Lightroom 3.5. They should automatically be selected as the default choice for newly-imported images. There should be one profile available per back type (from 16 MP to 60 MP backs).

There should also be 1 lens profile for each H lens (I think 14 total). Note that optical corrections are NOT enabled by default in Lightroom (for speed reasons), but you can certainly change this if you want. For example, create a Develop preset that turns on profile-based lens corrections and then apply that preset during import.

Enjoy,

Eric Chan
Camera Raw Engineer
THANK YOU ERIC :thumbs:

- Marc

S

Shelby Lewis

I wonder what the color differences between the canned Camera Standard profiles and something generated by, say, a Colorchecker Passport would be? Even since moving from 35mm to my Aptus, I've still mostly continued using LR unless I just couldn't get the color right (and then I'd use the factory converter) and find it really heartening that support for MF Cams continues to grow from adobe.

The workflow and noise reduction alone should put LR on anyone's radar that has to deal with any kind of volume (and even some of those that don't)

fotografz

I wonder what the color differences between the canned Camera Standard profiles and something generated by, say, a Colorchecker Passport would be? Even since moving from 35mm to my Aptus, I've still mostly continued using LR unless I just couldn't get the color right (and then I'd use the factory converter) and find it really heartening that support for MF Cams continues to grow from adobe.

The workflow and noise reduction alone should put LR on anyone's radar that has to deal with any kind of volume (and even some of those that don't)
I'm right there with you Shelby. The inclusion of the manufacturer's color profiles and lens corrections for the Leica S2 and now Hasselblad, coupled with Adobe's relentless improvement of Lightroom's processing tools, is swiftly removing the blocks to use and is moving me toward one software program standard.

Lightroom is like Photoshop ... it is so deep of a program that if you stick with it, master the broad variety of tools and customization, it just gets better and better ... faster and faster. I personally think it is the best creative tool I have on my computer ... and I have all of them.

-Marc

ptomsu

Workshop Member
@ David,

many thanks indeed for posting this!

I have imported some of my H3D39 shoots in LR right now and I must say that I cannot see any difference WRT IQ. What I can see is, that now FFF files are fully supported, I can use my easy LR workflow and importing and organizing etc.

What that means is, that I will be reusing my H3D39 much more often again, as using Phocus, while results really excellent, was for me always very complicated to use and just another SW.

I hope that this step, which is a MAJOR STEP forward by Hasselblad, is just the beginning of much more to see WRT openness - obviously some influence by the new owner / management.

Please stay that course!

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Do they support Hasselblad V lens as well?
Thanks
From what I read out of the published PDF, it can be done, but only manually.

"Hasselblad Carl Zeiss V-lenses can just as in Phocus be manually adjusted by choosing Manual instead of Profile. The output quality is the same as in Phocus, with the only difference that you in Lightroom work with sliders, where you in Phocus must choose lens, aperture and distance."

Not sure if this works in Phocus "automatically" as I do not have any V lenses and so did never try.