The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

older MF Mamyia lenses with phase digital backs

Paratom

Has anybody here experience how older MF 645 Mamyia lenses would perform with a P25 or P25+ back on the phase-645?
I own the Mamiya 35/3.5, 70/2.8ZV, 150/3.5.
I am specially intereted how the 35 would perform. I would not mind the manual f-stop handling for landscape shots so that way I could save some money in the beginning when stepping into digital-MF.
Not to say that I might add 1 or 2 actual lenses (additionally to the 80/2.8) later on.
Thanks, tom

lance_schad

Workshop Member
Not sure where you are located but we would be more than happy if you shipped us your manual glass and we have the newer models, we would do a head to head comparison and provide you with the RAW files.
If it is convenient PM or email me and we can coordinate it.
L
Lance Schad
Capture Integration - Miami/Atlanta
Direct: 305-534-5701 x1 | Cell: 305-394-3196
Capture Integration
[email protected]

Paratom

Lance, thanks a lot for this suggestion, but I am located in Germany ;(
Do you have any idea about the older vs the new lenses?
thanks, Tom

volkerhopf

Hi Tom,
I am using all 3 of the lenses you list with my 645 ZD. The 35mm gets the most use and I am quite happy with it, not overly sharp but good enough. The manual lens that gets the most use is the 80mm macro. This is a great performer and the lack of an automatic diaphrame is not so much a problem. I will be replacing the old manual lenses over time but not because of lack of image quality or manual focus but because of the missing automatic diaphrame (Springblende).
Regards
Volker

Mammy645

I used to have the 45/80 1.9/150 2.8, and they were all stellar performers with a P25, but eventually I bought the AF because of the auto diaphragm. For still life manual is ok, but it just gets too slow when shooting other things at small aperture. I do however miss the large apertures a lot and wish I could invest the $$$ in that new 150 2.8 they just released. On a side note I just can't understand why they didn't make the new 80mm 1.9, that would have made the Mamiya unique among the brands still standing.

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
Mammy, I'm in total agreement on the desire for a fast Mamiya AF lens. I currently use the 80/1.9 quite extensively ... especially as an everyday lens on the camera. However, I'd be first in line for an AF 80 1.4 or 1.9 or a 110/2. Such a lens would continue to blur the lines between DSLRs and MF gear for those looking for such things.

Kurt