Site Sponsors

Thread: older MF Mamyia lenses with phase digital backs

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

older MF Mamyia lenses with phase digital backs

Has anybody here experience how older MF 645 Mamyia lenses would perform with a P25 or P25+ back on the phase-645?
    I own the Mamiya 35/3.5, 70/2.8ZV, 150/3.5.
    I am specially intereted how the 35 would perform. I would not mind the manual f-stop handling for landscape shots so that way I could save some money in the beginning when stepping into digital-MF.
    Not to say that I might add 1 or 2 actual lenses (additionally to the 80/2.8) later on.
    Thanks, tom

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: older MF Mamyia lenses with phase digital backs

Not sure where you are located but we would be more than happy if you shipped us your manual glass and we have the newer models, we would do a head to head comparison and provide you with the RAW files.
    If it is convenient PM or email me and we can coordinate it.
    L
    Lance Schad
    Capture Integration - Miami/Atlanta
    Direct: 305-534-5701 x1 | Cell: 305-394-3196
    Capture Integration
    [email protected]

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Lance, thanks a lot for this suggestion, but I am located in Germany ;(
    Do you have any idea about the older vs the new lenses?
    thanks, Tom

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Tom,
    I am using all 3 of the lenses you list with my 645 ZD. The 35mm gets the most use and I am quite happy with it, not overly sharp but good enough. The manual lens that gets the most use is the 80mm macro. This is a great performer and the lack of an automatic diaphrame is not so much a problem. I will be replacing the old manual lenses over time but not because of lack of image quality or manual focus but because of the missing automatic diaphrame (Springblende).
    Regards
    Volker

Post Thanks / Like

I used to have the 45/80 1.9/150 2.8, and they were all stellar performers with a P25, but eventually I bought the AF because of the auto diaphragm. For still life manual is ok, but it just gets too slow when shooting other things at small aperture. I do however miss the large apertures a lot and wish I could invest the $$$ in that new 150 2.8 they just released. On a side note I just can't understand why they didn't make the new 80mm 1.9, that would have made the Mamiya unique among the brands still standing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Mammy, I'm in total agreement on the desire for a fast Mamiya AF lens. I currently use the 80/1.9 quite extensively ... especially as an everyday lens on the camera. However, I'd be first in line for an AF 80 1.4 or 1.9 or a 110/2. Such a lens would continue to blur the lines between DSLRs and MF gear for those looking for such things.

Kurt