Site Sponsors

Thread: Polarizing Filter with Hand Held Tech Cam

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Polarizing Filter with Hand Held Tech Cam

Wondering if anyone has a way of using a polarizing filter when using a tech cam and external viewfinder (i.e., the MFB is attached and you don't have live view).

There used to be an oversized step up ring for Leica M's that had slots in it to see how to orient the polar filter before shooting so wondering if anyone has done that or something else (I need it for the 35 Digitar with center filter...).

Thanks,
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Polarizing Filter with Hand Held Tech Cam

Try viewing with filter held to your eye and note filter ring orientation - most filter rings have some sort of markings. Mount filter on camera lens with same orientation. It's not super accurate but usually good enough.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by fotophil View Post
    Try viewing with filter held to your eye and note filter ring orientation - most filter rings have some sort of markings. Mount filter on camera lens with same orientation. It's not super accurate but usually good enough.
    Well that's WAY to practical and inexpensive!

Post Thanks / Like

I suppose someone could design a custom (expensive) filter ring marked in 0.01 degree increments.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is one I used for Leica. It's made by Kenko called CPL Vernier. The viewfinder is purchased separetly. As you rotate the viewfinder, you will see the marking rotate with it. I just follow the marking and rotate the CPL accordingly. I got them from Japan, but it could be avaliable in the States.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yatlee View Post
    Here is one I used for Leica. It's made by Kenko called CPL Vernier. The viewfinder is purchased separetly. As you rotate the viewfinder, you will see the marking rotate with it. I just follow the marking and rotate the CPL accordingly. I got them from Japan, but it could be avaliable in the States.
    This is sounding a bit like a case of gadget-itis. I daresay 90% of people do what fotophil suggests.
    If you are working fast and furious, as I sometimes do, just keep a second PL in your pocket, hold it up to your 100% organic, fully bio-degradable viewfinder, otherwise known as eyeball MK1, then transfer that rotation to the PL on your lens. Takes about 2 seconds, costs little (you can use a smaller filter) and allows you to spend time spent researching this "problem" taking pictures instead. You win on every front.
    Siebel
    "In the end, it's all about the pictures"
    www.bryansiebel.com

Post Thanks / Like

I made one similar to the above. Use the same type of PL filter and marked both of them on the rim with ref# to coincide with one another of its polarisation.

The better one for the lens and the cheaper one for handheld viewing. The latter, I attached it to my ancient Hasselblad V-series quick focus ring or any clamp that will hold the filter, making sure the rotational grip is accessible.

I have used this for over 2 years and works very well.

Post Thanks / Like

Live view for the few, the proud, the poor

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    Live view for the few, the proud, the poor
    I know that the quote is made in jest but to be honest the IQ live view isn't yet up to the task of accurate polarization visualization in my experience. I find that it's tough enough to use just for focusing! It's very light condition dependent.
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"