The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mamiya RZ 50mm non-ULD... on a crop sensor?

S

Shelby Lewis

Hey all,

I've got my RZ PRo IID, and an adapter plate should be here this week... I've got the 110/2.8 and am about to pick up the 180 as well.

Question... doe anyone have any thoughts on the non-ULD version of the RZ 50mm on a lower mp 44x33 back (28mp Aptus II 6)? With pretty low prices on even the ULD version, I'll probably head that direction, but I'd be interested in thoughts and samples of the non-ULD version you have them.

Thanks!
Shelby

neil

I did a quick test with these two lens a couple years ago and still have my notes. I tested using a hasselblad cfv-39 digital back.

For the lens I had available

The RZ ULD 50mm for far distances can be used wide open and is very sharp. For near distances f5.6 is good and by f8 is very sharp.

The RZ W 50mm for far distances had to be stopped down to f8 or f11. For nearer distances f16. The results were then very good.

The ULD 50mm is almost 3 stops better. It's an exceptional lens and can be used wide open.

The W 50mm is a good lens when stopped down a few stops.

Regards

Neil

S

Shelby Lewis

Thanks Neil... much appreciated. Looks like the ULD version it is.

neil

Today I had both a RZ 50mm ULD and a RZ 50mm W lens and tested using a P65+ back.

Conclusion is defiantly go with the 50mm ULD lens.

The RZ 50 mm ULD has a floating point element. This works very well.

For a distance of 85cm.

The RZ 50 mm uld at f5.6 outperforms the RZ 50 mm W lens at F16.
The W lens has far less contrast and just does not have the sharpness of the ULD lens.

For a distance of 28 meters.

At f8 the RZ 50mm ULD is just a touch soft in the corners. At f11 the ULD lens is very sharp in all 4 corners.

At f11 the W 50mm is very soft in the corners. Also low contrast. Plus the P65+ sensor is out resolving the lens.

I am wondering if anyone else has experience testing these two lens. The 50mm ULD lens is so far ahead of the 50mm W lens that I think there may be something wrong with my 50mm W lens. The 50mm W lens is usable on a hasselblad CFV39 back but on a P65+ it does not seem up to the job.

I can see a bit of mold in the 50mm W lens if I use a flash light. But it seems slight. Is this enough to make such a difference.

Regards

Neil