The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One 645DF Mirror Lockup Problem

gazwas

Using toy chargers is not professional.
I personally think Stefan is on to something here. If the problem seems less when using alkaline batteries it does sound like a voltage problem and nothing to do with the capacity (mah) of the battery.

If the DF takes 6 AA batteries that means a max total of 9 volts (1.5 volts each) when using alkaline batteries as apposed to 7.2 volts (1.2 volts each) for rechargable batteries. If the DF needs say 7 volts to work, it doesn't take much of voltage drop (depleting batteries) with the rechargables to freeze the camera up.

So, to Stefen's point, if your using a cheap charger to charge you batteries that only sees the batteries as one block it may not be charging them efficiently and charging one more than the other. That results in each battery holding different charge states and with each additional recharge the difference can get greater. As the batteries are used in the camera, one will deplete faster and the voltage will drop sooner.

For all my rechargables I use one of those fancy computer controlled chargers that individually monitor each batters and also allows discharging and refreshing cycles. It would be interesting to know what chargers people are using to rechrge their AA camera batteries as the normal fast chargers do not charge all the batteries equally and are known to actually damage batteries as they make them so hot when charging.

Stefan Steib

I think the central interest has to be put on the discharge current.
We have seen such effect with our HCam-B1 camera when we use the larger 4800 mHa batteries these are not lasting twice as long, they last 2,5x or 3x as long/shots as the smaller 2400mHa batteries. Especially when the temperature is lower. It seems that the stress that is put to smaller battery units on heavy load is causing the voltage to drop faster.
I am not an electronics engineer, but I am sure there is someone here on the forum who can explain this in technical english, frankly I am lacking these special electronic english terms. So I am nearly 100 % sure that doubling the overall capacity of the used batteries as in the Phase Vertical handgrip will solve this lockup problem - which would be the proof of my theory. It does work like this on our Hcam-B1, this I already know and it´s the exact same shutter as in the M645 DF so we should have pretty much comparable power usage.

Greetings from Munich
Stefan