The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

how to use a Canon EF TSE lense with a digital back... HB cam alternative...

jagsiva

You could also do it in a more straitforward way with the Hartblei body. I saw a print that Walter Borchenko had done using the TSE 24 II and P65+ printed to 4+ft and it was just stunning.

kdphotography

Nice idea. I'd love to see something like this work on the Phase DF body. Sure, I'd rather see an all-new re-designed SK wide-angle lens for the Phase DF, but in the meantime, I'd settle for a similar adapter rather than buy an entirely different camera system...

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Nice idea. I'd love to see something like this work on the Phase DF body. Sure, I'd rather see an all-new re-designed SK wide-angle lens for the Phase DF, but in the meantime, I'd settle for a similar adapter rather than buy an entirely different camera system...
Any medium format body with a mirror can't use glass (assuming infinity focus is important) that was developed for a smaller body.

It has to do with the rear flange distance of the lenses (how far away from the sensor they were designed to be).

That's WHY you have a body like Hartblei Cam where there is no mirror and you can use the digital back with smaller format lenses like the Canon TSE.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

Masters Series Workshop:
New England Landscape - Fall Color (Oct 5-8)

kdphotography

I figured as much, Doug. But I'm getting tired of running away from Don everytime he tries to rub his Cambo WRS with his new wood grips on me. It's getting hard for me to avoid Don's "touch-it-you-buy-it" photography philosophy...

:D

Audii-Dudii

Given that the lens register for EOS lenses is 44mm and the thickness of a Copal 3S shutter is 28.6mm (32mm for a Copal 3 shutter), this leaves only 15.4mm of room for the important bits of the Redrock Micro adapter. Eyeballing the photo suggests it'll be close, though, and I'll know for certain soon enough, as I ordered one this morning to determine whether it will work for a similar project I have in mind ... stay tuned!

Last edited:

Don Libby

I figured as much, Doug. But I'm getting tired of running away from Don everytime he tries to rub his Cambo WRS with his new wood grips on me. It's getting hard for me to avoid Don's "touch-it-you-buy-it" photography philosophy...

:D
:watch::ROTFL::ROTFL:

coulombic

You could also do it in a more straitforward way with the Hartblei body. I saw a print that Walter Borchenko had done using the TSE 24 II and P65+ printed to 4+ft and it was just stunning.
Well, of course you can do it in a more straight-forward way with the HCam. Unfortunately, the HCam is nearly $10k on its own. This feels a little bit expensive for just a body, honestly. Thus, if one can get the same functionality -- use of Canon TSE lenses, for a fraction of the price, I say go for it.

yaya

Recently tested the HCam with the new Schneider 50mm TS and 90mm Makro TS....with the Aptus-II 12. Very, VERY impressed with the sharpness and lack of any distortion and CA

H3dtogo

As a daily user of the Hcam, i can only say: it is worth every cent you pay for it. No other camera i have ever used ( and people who know me can say i used almost every possible contraption to put my Digital backs on) had such an impact on the images i create. The use of a 300mm 2,8 on a DB is great, experiance the bokeh of a leica 50mm 1,4..... the Hartblei Zeiss Superrotators etc.

coulombic

As a daily user of the Hcam, i can only say: it is worth every cent you pay for it. No other camera i have ever used ( and people who know me can say i used almost every possible contraption to put my Digital backs on) had such an impact on the images i create. The use of a 300mm 2,8 on a DB is great, experiance the bokeh of a leica 50mm 1,4..... the Hartblei Zeiss Superrotators etc.
Yeah, I'm actually pretty sure I'll end up picking a HCam up in the next few months. I currently use the Phase One 28mm f/4.5 on the 645DF, and honestly, I'm not even remotely pleased with the corner sharpness of this lens. I fully expect the HCam + 24mm TSE to destroy the 28mm's performance.

Care to post any images from your HCam for us to drool over?

Funny you mention a 300mm f/2.8. . . I actually have the Mamiya 300mm f/2.8, and use it every once in a while on my Leaf Aptus-II 12. The depth-of-field is so narrow, most mistake the images to be some kind of T/S effect.

chrismuc

Re: Yair
Do the Schneider 50 and 90mm PC lenses allow shift movements with an Aptus II-12 54x40mm back? The image circles (79 resp. 88mm) should be sufficient. Schneider denied on request ... but I don't believe them, want to see my own:)
So ... just a Schneider 35mm PC lens would be missing to be able to do all tech-cam work with the Hcam (17 TSE, 24 TSE, 35 PC-TC, 50 PC-TC, 90 PC-TC) - without color cast issues!

Last edited:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I have been trying to get an HB cam to demo, but have had zero success. If anybody has a GOOD contact in the US that will return my calls or emails, I would appreciate it!

kdphotography

I have been trying to get an HB cam to demo, but have had zero success. If anybody has a GOOD contact in the US that will return my calls or emails, I would appreciate it!
I believe Walter Borchenko is the closest dealer handling the Hcam geographically.

B3K Digital / Capture-U - Attention NEW Address
Walter Borchenko
250 Carlaw Ave., Unit #102
Toronto, Ontario, Canada, M4M 3L1
Tel.: +1 416-628-8044
Fax: +1 416-907-4386
Cell: +1 647-407-8194
e-mail:[email protected]
http://www.b3kdigital.com

I'd love to see the Hartblei HCam too. Maybe you can get Stefan Steib to pay us a visit to the CA central coast...

:D ken

Stefan Steib

The Schneider 50 and 90 mm do cover with movements - I tried this last November on the Canon Tour here in Germany. So do our 40, 80 and 120mm
(on Infinity, at closeup the 120 will be vignetting) probably the same with the Schneider
(barrel vignetting on the Canon Mount).
But I also found a solution for this: use the Teleconverters 1,4x and 2x
The Image circles will improve ! Actually pretty much what Hasselblad does on the HTS -BUT-I think with better quality- the Canon Mark III Extenders are really good !

I was pretty busy the last time, we have solved the charger problem with a really nice 4 slot quickcharge solution from the Pro Video people . We were also improving the new Phase IQ mounts (needed changed adapter plates) and have also added a new Timer, radio remote (TCN80 compatible) to the standard setup- so you can do series of long time exposures now, with delays etc. pp., the new radio control has a range of 100 m. Also the new 8-15mm Canon Fisheye zoom works pretty impressively on the camera, have to do some samples.......

Please have a little patience I will arrange some new distribution channels soon, we are already working on this.

For our German speaking customers there was an Article about us in the german "DIGIT" showing the HCam work for large customers like BMW, Mercedes and Agip Petrol, shot by one of the largest studios (http://www.riess-fotodesign.de) here in Munich.

Greetings from Munich
Stefan

Last edited:

cly

For our German speaking customers there was an Article about us in the german "DIGIT" showing the HCam work
Perhaps you could get a permission to offer this article on your web site.

Also, I think it would be nice if your site had pictures of the various HCAM models showing them from _all_ sides. For example, I have no idea what the model without slider looks like from the back. Your website isn't as informative as I would like :)

Chris

Stefan Steib

Hi Chris

The website is a work in progress and permanently updated. E.g. There is a new lens compatibilty list pdf I made last week- see here:
http://hartblei.de/en/hartbleicam5.htm

Anybody who is interested to get the forementioned Digit article in original german as a PDF plus an english translation can PM me or send me an email . The article is in the actual issue of the magazine and thus I cannot publish this on the website. We´ll do that later. I am also organizing to get some photos of the back of the HCam-B1i .

Regards
Stefan

Last edited:
Given that the lens register for EOS lenses is 44mm and the thickness of a Copal 3S shutter is 28.6mm (32mm for a Copal 3 shutter), this leaves only 15.4mm of room for the important bits of the Redrock Micro adapter. Eyeballing the photo suggests it'll be close, though, and I'll know for certain soon enough, as I ordered one this morning to determine whether it will work for a similar project I have in mind ... stay tuned!
So did your project work? Thanks

gebseng

buy this

then you have to found a way to mount it on a copal by removing the 4x3 mount...

fix it to your alpa, arca, cambo...

;-)
hm, I don't know. Doesn't the central shutter have to be in the middle of the optical path of a lens, and not at the end?

Geb