The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

P65+ vs P45+

archivue

there's some refurb kits, so the price difference between a new P45+ kit and a p65+ kit refurb is only 25%...

for the P65 :

- bigger sensor, my 35 XL will be equivalent to a 32 on the P45+
- zero latency : no need for a wake up cable with my RM3D
- seems to offer smoothers transitions
- virtual horizon (non available on the P45 right ?)
- bigger file size
- sensor plus... i won't use it
- not related to Kodak...

for the P45 :

- 5000 euros cheaper (the price of a good 28 mounted for R camera)
- noise free long exposure

it looks like the P65+ still really good at 45sec / 100 iso ... must be enough most of the time ! can anybody send me such a file ?

did i miss something in that comparison ?

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Much better noise levels on the P65. I would go p65 but that's me. I think I did actually. Lol

Paul2660

A few more thoughts, as I have been thinking about trading up from my P45+ to a used P65+.

Actually a P45+ with the latest firmware installed will get pretty close to a P65+ up to 1600. I have shot the two side by side and even at 1600 the P45+ does a good job. If you consider that the P65+ will be at 15mp at 1600 with sensor plus, you can most likely down res the P45+ and get very close.

The key to the P45+ is Make Sure you have the latest firmware. Phase One made a huge change somewhere in the manufacturing of the P45+. I have always assumed it was the controller card in the back along with the firmware as I don't think the chip was changed.

I realize you can go to higher ISO's with the P65+ and if these are a requirement then for sure a P65+ makes more sense.

Just a few other observations,

I feel the P65+ will less forgiving with older glass. I have done a few side by side shoots and had some done for me and each time the P45+ image seems just a tad sharper (when using the same Mamiya lens between the 2 backs). I realize that the image is considerably larger with the P65+ but Capture One also increases the default sharpening setting between the two. I have seen this with the Mamiya 35mm, 55mm (which surprised me since the 55mm has always been my sharpest lens), but not as much so with the 80mm (new Phase one). I didn't shoot with the 28mm, but I don't feel it would be much better especially in the corners.

The P65+ doesn't have the 1:1 crop of the P45+, which I really didn't ever think was a big deal till I shot with the P65+ and realized how much image is lost.

Color, Contrast, The P45+ images seem to be harsher to me now. Never having shot the P65+ until a few weeks ago, I never really paid much attention to this. I also found the reds/greens a bit more pleasing to me from the P65+. But it was the effect of harshness of the P45+ that really surprised me.

Longer exposures, P45+ with the correct firmware, is still the long exposure king. I have taken mine to 55 minutes several times, at ISO 50 and the noise levels look no worse than a 5 sec exposure. That is really amazing still. Of course I also realized that I could be stacking a P65+ and getting very close to the same effect.

Sincerely
Paul Caldwell

archivue

thanks for your input !

hight iso performance isn't a problem for me... i'm shooting 99 of time object or architecture with a tripod...

still i'd like to see a P65+ file at 45sec / 100 iso...

i have been offering a very good deal for a DM33, but i don't thing the difference between the 33 and the aptus 22 worth the trouble...

Don Libby

I've owned and use both having traded my P30+ in for a P45+ and currently the P65+. I find the P65+ way better suited for what I do which is landscape. I'd say unless you really need that longer shutter then the P65 is the way to go.

Don

Don Libby

Just had this other thought process...

bigger sensor - yes full size which mean better lens coverage
zero latency - this has turn out to be a huge factor for me - worth the price of admission.
no instant comment on your third thought
virtual horizon - you're correct again not on the P45.
bigger file size. Oh hell yes! Go big or go home...
sensor plus - you'd be surprised! My first thought was the same however after using it once I find it's nice to have there just in case.
Kodak vs Dalsa I happened to find the colors much more pleasing with the P65.

archivue

i've just received a bad news, a big client postponed things... i'm not shure i will be able to afford a P65+ for now...

I have a nice deal for a DM33, maybe i will go for it now, and i will upgrade later on...

Jérôme.E

Why don't you go for an Aptus II 10 (10R), you won't be disapointed. Tonal range is so great!
22mp for 56mp would be a consitent up. You'll gain a bit of long exposure vs your 22 with a 80-100 base iso.
Don't Like 2x3? You can go for 4x3 and 48mp. I personaly like 2x3 in landscape mode and mostly prefer 4x3 portrait.
My 2 cents...

archivue

i hate 2x3 so much !

the DM33 bundle is cheap... for now is safer !

actually i don't even know the price for the II 10 !