The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

IQ back & Macbook Air

anGy

Just received my IQ back after 1,5 month waiting time.
But I cannot make a connection between it for shooting tethered: when using the original usb cable from Phase the battery icon on the back turns to a 'loading' icon. So I believe this USB connection works between the IQ and the MBA (last model from July'11).

But I can't get a connection from Capture One, that is still displaying a 'no camera found' ('aucun appareil connecté' in french).

A thunderbolt to firewire adaptor will maybe be available from Sonnet but cannot find it on their site (express card adapter do exist but is not compatible with a MBA). And I thought that using the USB3 to USB2 cable should work anyway.

So is there a parameter to set on the back or in C1 to make it work ??

Thanks

cly

And I thought that using the USB3 to USB2 cable should work anyway.

So is there a parameter to set on the back or in C1 to make it work ??
I asked a Phase representative about this - he confirmed that you can't use USB2 for thethered shooting. (I didn't ask if this is planned for the future.)

Chris

PeterL

I may be mistaken, but I believe the USB3 interface needs a firmware upgrade to work and we have not seen that yet. I have 1.47 - which I believe is the latest.

Cheers, -Peter

anGy

I hope you're not right. I did choose the MBA for mobility AND IQ compatibility reasons after reading this from CI internet site:

But maybe it's a question of time and a firmware update will make the marketing announcements match the real product functionalities.........

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I believe that we are still waiting for the firmware release that enables USB.
-bob

cly

I hope you're not right. I did choose the MBA for mobility AND IQ compatibility reasons after reading this from CI internet site:
Maybe my posting wasn't explicit enough: I asked him if it's possible to connect an IQ-back to an USB-2 port of a MBA as, for the time being, there is no thunderbolt adapter available. He told me that C1 doesn't recognize the back if it's connected via USB-2 (which he had tried with his demo back). Neither did he say, this will happen in the future nor did he deny this and I forgot to ask if this will come with a future firmware update.

Chris

PeterL

Well - since USB is not working at all at the moment, as pointed out by Bob and I, it's a bit strange he could have made such a statement. Unless of course he has access to some pre-release firmware. As is indicated on the CI website, USB3 is backwards compatible with USB2 (Mac Book Air), and should work - once the correct firmware is released. Phase has promised USB in a future firmware upgrade that we're all waiting for.

Cheers, -Peter

cly

it's a bit strange he could have made such a statement. Unless of course he has access to some pre-release firmware.
You don't need access to future FW versions to talk about the current state of affairs :) All he said is: I tried it with my current back and thethering didn't work because C1 didn't see the back.

Also, if C1 doesn't recognize a back connected via USB-3, it doesn't necessarily follow that this is a back FW problem, it may also be a C1/OS driver problem.

Chris

vjbelle

Your dealer should be aware that the USB connect capabilities are not yet supported and will be with a future firmware upgrade. There have been various posts regarding this issue.

Victor