Site Sponsors

Thread: IQ back & Macbook Air

Post Thanks / Like

IQ back & Macbook Air

Just received my IQ back after 1,5 month waiting time.
    But I cannot make a connection between it for shooting tethered: when using the original usb cable from Phase the battery icon on the back turns to a 'loading' icon. So I believe this USB connection works between the IQ and the MBA (last model from July'11).

But I can't get a connection from Capture One, that is still displaying a 'no camera found' ('aucun appareil connecté' in french).

A thunderbolt to firewire adaptor will maybe be available from Sonnet but cannot find it on their site (express card adapter do exist but is not compatible with a MBA). And I thought that using the USB3 to USB2 cable should work anyway.

So is there a parameter to set on the back or in C1 to make it work ??

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: IQ back & Macbook Air

Quote Originally Posted by anGy View Post
    And I thought that using the USB3 to USB2 cable should work anyway.

So is there a parameter to set on the back or in C1 to make it work ??
    I asked a Phase representative about this - he confirmed that you can't use USB2 for thethered shooting. (I didn't ask if this is planned for the future.)

Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I may be mistaken, but I believe the USB3 interface needs a firmware upgrade to work and we have not seen that yet. I have 1.47 - which I believe is the latest.

Cheers, -Peter

Post Thanks / Like

I hope you're not right. I did choose the MBA for mobility AND IQ compatibility reasons after reading this from CI internet site:

But maybe it's a question of time and a firmware update will make the marketing announcements match the real product functionalities.........

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I believe that we are still waiting for the firmware release that enables USB.
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by anGy View Post
    I hope you're not right. I did choose the MBA for mobility AND IQ compatibility reasons after reading this from CI internet site:
    Maybe my posting wasn't explicit enough: I asked him if it's possible to connect an IQ-back to an USB-2 port of a MBA as, for the time being, there is no thunderbolt adapter available. He told me that C1 doesn't recognize the back if it's connected via USB-2 (which he had tried with his demo back). Neither did he say, this will happen in the future nor did he deny this and I forgot to ask if this will come with a future firmware update.

Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well - since USB is not working at all at the moment, as pointed out by Bob and I, it's a bit strange he could have made such a statement. Unless of course he has access to some pre-release firmware. As is indicated on the CI website, USB3 is backwards compatible with USB2 (Mac Book Air), and should work - once the correct firmware is released. Phase has promised USB in a future firmware upgrade that we're all waiting for.

Cheers, -Peter

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeterL View Post
    it's a bit strange he could have made such a statement. Unless of course he has access to some pre-release firmware.
    You don't need access to future FW versions to talk about the current state of affairs All he said is: I tried it with my current back and thethering didn't work because C1 didn't see the back.

Also, if C1 doesn't recognize a back connected via USB-3, it doesn't necessarily follow that this is a back FW problem, it may also be a C1/OS driver problem.

Chris

Post Thanks / Like

Your dealer should be aware that the USB connect capabilities are not yet supported and will be with a future firmware upgrade. There have been various posts regarding this issue.

Victor